No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » ICC-shields
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author ICC-shields
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-20 21:06   
Quote:

On 2010-03-20 20:45, Challenger wrote:
Sure, let ICC increase their shields' recovery rate. And then let K'luth and UGTO rotate their armours. Then we can all be the same...

Sounds good, right?

No. First of all it is important to know that ICC shields are weaker than UGTO/K'luth armour individually, but they take longer to repair than UGTO armour under three depots. In return, they repair faster without any supplies involved, which is useful during combat when you're away from the fight for a few moments.

The entire point of this debate is to argue speeding up ICC shield regen outside of combat, so that they can fight sooner and do not need to spend so much time in cool down so their shields can regen, at least for the big ships. I haven't seen anyone suggest "increase regen rate" or "make them repairable like armour". Even the OP doesn't suggest that, explicitly saying it should be a device usable only outside of combat, or with such heavy penalties combat usage would be mad.

I would completely argue for UGTO and K'luth cooldown to be removed as well by letting ships repair in the shipyard. As an arcade game where you can jump into combat, having fast-paced combat is a definite plus. There is no reason you should spend fifteen minutes out of combat (possibly long after combat has ended) simply to ensure your ship is back to fighting standards- and then wait again for your other five ships.

And even then, a ship with 100% armours is servicable in combat and usable, no matter the hull. A ship with 50% armour but 100% hull likely has worse chances of survival due to exposure to damage, and system damage being the bane of all jump drives.

TL;DR
This thread is moreso aimed at reducing the cooldown and needless wait times rather than it aims at making the factions uniform. ICC love their shields, just as Jim demonstrated a Dreadnought needs to spend 6 minutes at apparent minimum (with upgrades to recovery speed and using aux generators) to get back to work. 8-9 minutes seems a more realistic number, and that nets you almost an hour if you have six ships which need to wait out that time.

It's all about reducing the time spent recovering from combat so that you can spend it in combat.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-03-20 22:03   
Note that the same Combat Dread, when fitted with Reactive Shields, went from 0-100 in only two minutes. In fact the aux shields took longer to recharge than the Reactive Shields themselves.

Email Jim Starluck
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-03-21 03:29   
as it stands an icc force = to a ugto force.. say 3 stations and 3 dreads.. fighting the ugto at one of their "depot planets" is impossible and will only lead to defeat and withdraw if precautions are not taken. It's been my fleets policy to burn the planet the ugto are hugging first at all cost, then engage the ugto themselves.

take this situation and reverse it, UGTO attack ICC at their depot planet. And the ugto have a margin of success, be it a small one. This comes from icc loosing arguably over 70% of their defensive capability after five minutes of battle... this advantage cannot be easily overcome and usually ends up in a jump to deep space for 20 minutes to repair... ive seen it again and again and again and again..

(this observation is my own and does not reflect the view, or stance of the dev team)

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-21 04:16   

I don't really play ICC, but what here's what I think.

Armor is a physical object. And shields are basically some energy/force fields projected around to deflect or absorb incoming fire.

Logically speaking, shields should regenerate faster than armor.
And if we want to think more logically, armor and hull should not be able to be repaired to 100% while out in space. Ships out at sea can do patchwork repairs at most.

Realistically speaking, any ship that takes damage to its armor and hull should take longer to repair said items, and they shouldn't be able to be repaired to 100% while out there. Only a drydock/SY or supply plat should be able to do this.

But yes.... this is a game, and there are sacrifices to be made in the name of balance. So UGTO and K'Luth ships can repair/heal themselves to 100% hull/armor. So can ICC.

But I kinda agree that the shields might be taking too long to recharge. Makes them weak.

So if I may suggest.... perhaps we can double the charging rate of ICC shields.... but reduce the strength by a third. It gets depleted fast, and it recharges faster too. Should be fair enough.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-21 04:32   
Quote:

On 2010-03-21 04:16, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

So if I may suggest.... perhaps we can double the charging rate of ICC shields.... but reduce the strength by a third. It gets depleted fast, and it recharges faster too. Should be fair enough.

Ok... but what about our energy? No kluth ship could run after icc with that kind of tweak.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-03-21 05:23   
no no there just needs to be a way for us to repair shields 20% or so faster with planet depos or supply plats (not reload drones)

IMHO

Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-21 05:28   
Quote:

On 2010-03-21 05:23, Defiance{R33}*XO* wrote:
no no there just needs to be a way for us to repair shields 20% or so faster with planet depos or supply plats (not reload drones)

IMHO

Like shutting off the shields which will leave you vulnerable but regenerates shields faster?

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-03-21 05:32   
yea something like that.

icc is the defencive faction.. that being said their def is just fine... what needs adressed (again in my own opinion) is their repair time,

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-03-21 05:35   
Quote:

On 2010-03-20 22:03, Jim Starluck wrote:
Note that the same Combat Dread, when fitted with Reactive Shields, went from 0-100 in only two minutes. In fact the aux shields took longer to recharge than the Reactive Shields themselves.

lol.. that is the point of reactive shields mate..

but u go out in a dread fit with all reactive shields... and expect to die.. alot!

unless your fighting dessy class ships

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-21 06:57   
Quote:

On 2010-03-20 05:44, BackSlash [R33] wrote:
We ideally want to increase recharge the longer you're out of combat, but since it's rather well balanced right now (data is a wonderful thing), we're going to leave it until such a time as we can impliment it without flaw.

=

Yes, we like the idea. Yes it makes sense. Yes it further balances the playing field in certain situations wherein other factions have an increased chance of survival.

Yes.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash [R33] on 2010-03-21 06:58 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-21 07:24   
The only way this could be done and not be too op in a battle situation is if they have to shut shields down, or some kind of an interlock so that it has to be done OUTSIDE of battle. There should not be a ship added to the mix that can ride shotgun repping shield energy and armor. That would break balance. But if we're talking about something that can be done outside of battle, when everyone is repping up, sure.

Yes I know you have to have shields on to re energize them. Now that is. Maybe that could change.....It's the only way I could see this working at all.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-21 09:56   
Quote:

On 2010-03-21 04:32, Pakhos wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-03-21 04:16, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Ok... but what about our energy? No kluth ship could run after icc with that kind of tweak.

You're right. I overlooked that factor.

K'Luth energy expenditure would have to be tweaked somewhat.

And then the Uggies will start banging on the table for some concession.

It'll never end.

Quote:

On 2010-03-21 07:24, Azreal wrote:
The only way this could be done and not be too op in a battle situation is if they have to shut shields down, or some kind of an interlock so that it has to be done OUTSIDE of battle. There should not be a ship added to the mix that can ride shotgun repping shield energy and armor. That would break balance. But if we're talking about something that can be done outside of battle, when everyone is repping up, sure.

Yes I know you have to have shields on to re energize them. Now that is. Maybe that could change.....It's the only way I could see this working at all.

I believe Azrael has the answer.

ICC needs a Star Trek style "Raise/Lower shields" function.
Once shields are down, they recharge at double the rate.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-21 09:56   
Quote:

On 2010-03-21 06:57, BackSlash [R33] wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-03-20 05:44, BackSlash [R33] wrote:
We ideally want to increase recharge the longer you're out of combat, but since it's rather well balanced right now (data is a wonderful thing), we're going to leave it until such a time as we can impliment it without flaw.

=

Yes, we like the idea. Yes it makes sense. Yes it further balances the playing field in certain situations wherein other factions have an increased chance of survival.

Yes.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash [R33] on 2010-03-21 06:58 ]

did you just quote yourself?

Email Sens [R33]
Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-21 10:03   
Quote:

On 2010-03-21 05:28, Great Budda wrote:

Like shutting off the shields which will leave you vulnerable but regenerates shields faster?

[/quote]

i suggested that many times and i hardly got a reply on it lol
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-21 11:57   
like i said in op:

give the bigger icc-ships an extra item to recharge shields, but make em vulnerable to dmg, maybe ( dmg taken x 3 ) or somthing like this, so you've to use it out-of-combat

The item itself would recharge the icc-shield within ~ 20 seconds or so
the penalty would last as long

other possible penalties while recharging:
- shut most of the ship down:
-- engines off
-- shields off
-- weapons offline
-- sensors (ecm / eccm / scaner) offline
-- internal scanner reduced (those you use to detect ships etc nearby)
-- drain all of the energy

- becom easy detectable:
-- raise sig by a big amount (maybe + 50 or even + 100)

i'd prefer the "shutdown your ship" penalty
[ This Message was edited by: NoBoDx on 2010-03-21 14:13 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.042607 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR