Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Pros/Cons of enhancements?
 Author Pros/Cons of enhancements?
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-23 22:32   
Now that we can buy enhancements, it's time I knew the pros and cons of multiplexers vs coolers vs condensers. I see that condensers increase rate of fire while coolers increase energy charge rate, and multiplexers increase damage.

Condensers and coolers seem to do the same thing? But they can't do the same thing (why have them both if they do the same thing), so what's the difference?

With 40% from multiplexers vs 40% from condensers, is it the exact same DPS and energy usage? Bigger, fewer hits from multiplexers...smaller, more frequent hits from condensers, everything else is exactly the same?

How about 40% from multiplexers vs 40% from coolers? What would the difference be in energy usage and DPS?

I seem to remember one time hearing that multiplexers increase energy usage also, and that either coolers or condensers decrease damage (all due to how damage is tied to cooldown times or energy used, at least back then), but I don't remember any details and I might have things backwards; the memory is vague at best and none of that may apply anymore anyway.

Jackal'
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-24 03:17   
If I remember correctly, multiplexers do damage, condensers do range, and coolers do fire rate.

Coolers are nice for a fire rate boost, but it means that your weaps are draining more of your energy faster.

condensers are nice for range, but don't offer a WHOLE lot of boost.

I think what you'll find most people doing is fitting the multiplexers on more often then the other two

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-24 04:09   
Quote:

On 2010-03-24 03:17, -Jackal- wrote:
If I remember correctly, multiplexers do damage, condensers do range, and coolers do fire rate.

Coolers are nice for a fire rate boost, but it means that your weaps are draining more of your energy faster.

I think what you'll find most people doing is fitting the multiplexers on more often then the other two

no they use the range one on their long range plat killing ships with a combo of multiplexers

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-24 04:45   
Quote:

On 2010-03-24 03:17, -Jackal- wrote:

you are thinking of accelerators, those increase range.

So far it seems all good to me, except for one thing. Build Computers. those do not need to have a durability on them. Reason is, engiees die in one hit most of the time and are overly weak. You can be deep in your own space and still get one hit wiped by a cloaked Krill and Kluth just love to do that. Other then that everything so far seems good since now Death has a cost other then pres now.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-24 05:38   
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=47884&forum=13&0

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-03-24 06:29   
i have a question about the magnetron enhancements. Does x% damage reduction mean that you take less damage, or that you DO less damage?
Since they are rather expensive, im going to assume it means you take less?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-24 08:09   
You take less damage.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-24 10:40   
Quote:

On 2010-03-24 05:38, Azreal wrote:
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=47884&forum=13&0

Actually http://dl.dropbox.com/u/446932/Darkspace/Enhancements%20List_Public.html from within your link comes closer to answering what I'm asking.

That link says that condensers reduce energy usage, which isn't what it says ingame (condensers are rate of fire ingame, but I assmume now that rate of fire = energy usage, which makes sense when you consider pulse beams).

Does energy recharge have anything to do with damage? Do pulse beams do low damage because they recharge quickly, or use little energy? Do assault disruptors do high damage because they recharge slowly, or use a lot of energy?

Or does none of that correlate anymore, meaning you can theoretically make a beam with the damage of an assault disruptor and the recharge and energy usage of a pulse beam?

I ask because there might be hidden drawbacks to these enhancements if damage is dependent on energy usage or recharge rate. Multiplexers might make your weapons recharge slower, if increased damage means they also use more energy. That's the sort of thing I'm wondering.

EDIT: If ny questions still don't make sense, consider that the link I posted says condensers decrease energy usage, while ingame it says they increase rate of fire. That means decreased energy usage = faster recharge rate (or the link is outdated ). With that in mind, consider that pulse beams do low damage but recharge really fast. That means they aren't using much energy, and it might mean that damage = recharge rate or damage = energy usage (this is what I need to know), since energy usage = recharge rate.

And if any of that is true, then these enhancements might be giving us hidden drawbacks.
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2010-03-24 10:56 ]

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-24 11:24   
Does energy recharge have anything to do with damage? Do pulse beams do low damage because they recharge quickly, or use little energy? Do assault disruptors do high damage because they recharge slowly, or use a lot of energy? Or does none of that correlate anymore, meaning you can theoretically make a beam with the damage of an assault disruptor and the recharge and energy usage of a pulse beam?

No, damage and energy are independent. I'm not sure they ever have correlated, insofar as we tend to have the high damage weapons have long recharge. There has never, to my knowledge, been an explicitly coded link between energy, recharge, and damage. Well, sorta; see below. So yes, you could make a beam that has the damage of an AD which recharges in 1 second with little energy cost.

I ask because there might be hidden drawbacks to these enhancements if damage is dependent on energy usage or recharge rate. Multiplexers might make your weapons recharge slower, if increased damage means they also use more energy. That's the sort of thing I'm wondering.

Not exactly. There are some hidden effects, but some are hidden advantages.

...the link I posted says condensers decrease energy usage, while ingame it says they increase rate of fire. That means decreased energy usage = faster recharge rate (or the link is outdated ).

Consider that pulse beams do low damage but recharge really fast. That means they aren't using much energy, and it might mean that damage = recharge rate or damage = energy usage (this is what I need to know), since energy usage = recharge rate.

Still not quite right.

Damage is its own variable, full stop. Energy and recharge time are linked, though. Weapons require a certain amount of energy to fire. Lets say that pulse beams require 10 energy and DAs require 200 (arbitrary, obviously). The way we set recharge time is by telling the weapon how much energy to recharge each second. So pulse beams recharge, say, 10 energy per second - meaning 10 / 10 = 1 second recharge time. DAs, however, recharge, say, 40 energy per second - meaning 200 / 40 = 5 second recharge time. The DA, though, thus pulls a lot more energy per second and a lot more total energy.

Condensers reduce the total energy usage - which means it has the hidden benefit of speeding up your firing rate. Thus, the document and the game are both correct. Meanwhile, an enhancement that speeds up your firing rate means that you regain more energy per second - so while the total energy cost is the same, it charges the capacitor at a faster speed.

But again, damage is entirely different. So your links about DA and pulse are off in that regard.

It also means that condensers seem like a smarter enhancement to use, now that I explain it...

edit - note: I'm in China at the moment and thus can't look at the actual code to confirm this is what happens, but I'm pretty confident. I also can't load the dropbox link, as it is Great Firewalled over here. So I can't speak to any details contained within. If another dev wants to contradict me, feel free; I'll also confirm when I have the chance and correct if necessary.
[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2010-03-24 11:27 ]

Email Shigernafy
Page created in 0.019306 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR