No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » [Suggestion] Faction Lock
 Author [Suggestion] Faction Lock
Condemned
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-31 18:47   
I am sure this has been suggested but after sifting through I couldn't see it so here it goes...

When you login to a faction say K'luth, from first logging in your account should have a timer of say 12 hours or less where you cannot faction hop to another faction, yes I understand that if you are new you will want to try other factions so if possible make it only applicable to after a certain rank or so?

Main reason I posted this was because just now someone called "Fishy" something or other logged onto a faction, saw there was noone on so he said he was going to a different faction then guess what? The faction he said he was going to all of a sudden decide to start cap'ing, coincidence? Maybe, who knows?

Feedback appreciated, flamers ignored

~ Condemned
[ This Message was edited by: Condemned on 2010-03-31 18:50 ]

AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-31 19:04   
Fleets have a faction lock, no? I don't see why unfleeted people shouldn't either.
And bury you with honesty.

I'll make all your dreams come to life,
And slay them as quickly as they came.

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-31 19:27   
Doing this would cause people to stop playing. The reason a lot of people stay fleetless is to be able to join whatever faction seems to be having the most fun, most kills etc...

point of the game is more players and not less.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-31 20:05   
Only people who like to faction hop regularly would be affected.

IMO there should be a rank limit too, because new players should faction hop.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-31 20:12   
No lock.

As a fleeted member I have decided to lock myself to the faction my squadmates and I have chosen. We made that choice after much time playing the game. We chose this because we decided we were staying on the faction we are on anyways.

For new players, I believe that this is not a reasonable request to make. Not the way the game is currently. Limiting choices should not be done unless there is a possibility or reality of a game breaking issue.

If a person suspects sabotague, they can always use /report.

As for a single person going to another faction and then that faction comes capping...not much really to it to be honest. People can log in or out at any time, and planets are attacked at all hours of the day.

Personally, I dont care eithrer way. I figure at least I have something to do when I log back in.

Faction lock has been discussed before. One was added for fleets, a cooldown timer. I would hope they dont add it for unfleeted players.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-03-31 20:49   
I'm far from being an active player in today's MV, but I strongly oppose a faction lock for players who are not within a fleet. Why?

1.) Faction timer limitations would restrict the freedom of new players to experience the MV through the eyes of each faction.
2.) Faction timer limtations would restrict the freedom of older players to take a breather and spend a few days toying with ship ideas/shooting their former teammates/reinforcing a faction whose playerbase has dropped/what-have-you.
3.) DarkSpace does not have the playerbase to enforce such restrictons and "get away with it." True, DarkSpace is free to play. On the other hand, because this game is free, players can't feel an obligation to play for subscription reasons. "You tell me I can't leave this faction even though I really want to go back to my home and be with my fleetmates? Okay. Bye."

On that note: I'm of the opinion you can tease faction-hoppers for showing no loyalty to a faction, but don't blatantly insult them for wanting to experience camraderie and success in the game by joining an active side. Some people don't view being outnumbered in a game as very fun; others are masochists and want all-comers to bring it. That's just the way DarkSpace is, and has been, for as long as I've played it. And faction restriction timers? They wouldn't make the game better.

Goto the website of Grimith
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-31 20:56   
I believe they would, so long as there's a rank limit. Lower ranks should be able to faction hop, higher ranks should know by then what faction they like the most.

Plus, the lockout won't be days, it'll be a hour or something. You log in as a certain faction and that's what you fly for at least an hour. What's wrong with that?

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-31 21:09   
No one is saying to put it for a extended time like fleets do (1 week).

Make it like 3-6 hrs after logging off before you can change sides. This would take effect of players VA and above. That way new players can still hop around. By the time they make it to VA they should of had enough play time to have a choice as to what faction they want to play. Its only a few hours anyways its not like a week long wait.

Yes this has been suggested before by myself and others. Faction hopping is a major issue with sabo and its incredibly hard to cach the perp. Its even more rampant now with planets unlocking to Midshipman when said player that locked it logs. Yes the players said we wanted planets to be not locked to high ranked players but this was not the solution to it. It was said that we (the players) should have an option at WHAT rank to lock planets at or below our own rank.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-03-31 21:45   
Quote:

MrSparkle wrote:
Plus, the lockout won't be days, it'll be a hour or something. You log in as a certain faction and that's what you fly for at least an hour. What's wrong with that?

Quote:

Condemned wrote:
When you login to a faction say K'luth, from first logging in your account should have a timer of say 12 hours or less where you cannot faction hop to another faction . . .

I submit I need to L2Read first posts. Kinda glossed over the shorter time limit idea, I reckon. Consequently, my original post is weakened, but my attitude remains unchanged. As a matter of fact, I'll prove I know how to read by going back to the progenitor post...

Condemned's reason for his suggestion, as offered in his original post, shares how a player sides with a faction who ends up going on a planetary capping spree.

Argument One: The player in question wanted to join a currently active fashion in the MetaVerse. The faction had its gameplan together and used teamwork to capture multiple planets.

You don't think it's reasonable to presume innocence? Well, let's just say the player's guilty.

Argument Two: I'm under the impression that grievers will exists wherever they can, however they can. And a time restriction won't halt determined saboteurs, particularly if, as Starcommander said, planets unlock to Midshipman whenever the one who locked them quits the game. What's to stop players from creating an alternate account to go around creating mischief and mayhem for their team? The RoC? Clearly, saboteurs don't CARE about following the RoC. End result? Stopgap is made, avoided, problem continues.

-Edit: Wrap-Up: Why bother attempting a stopgap measure designed to fix a problem which won't be fixed via aforementioned stopgap?
[ This Message was edited by: Grimith on 2010-03-31 21:46 ]

Goto the website of Grimith
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-31 22:36   
Quote:

On 2010-03-31 20:56, MrSparkle wrote:

Azreal and at least 5 alternate accts say that your lock idea aint worth a hill of beans.

See what Im getting at?

Hell, logging in an alt, I dont even have to wait the 2 mins to swap servers either.

Im still failing to see precisely what it is meant to overcome.

A player not wanting to be alone on a faction? Well, frankly, you have no right to demand that of somebody.

Exploiting or spying are against the RoC and should be reported and dealt with.

Numbers on the factions have always and always should fluxuate.

An how will that be enacted between all the servers? I log into Sag as a Kluth, and I find Im alone and not really anything happening. I look at the Cass map in the lobby and I see that it's being invaded by the UGTO. So....I wouldnt be able to then log into Cass as an ICC player and help them defend? This would somehow be viewed as a bad thing for me to do I guess?

As an independant player?

And I always thought non-fleeted pretty much meant "freelancer". Guess not.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-31 23:07   

Hell, I've seen a father and son combo on different teams.

Dad on ICC, Son in K'luth. I jump into BD, cloak, and the dude yells out.... "Go away, I can see you".

So I'm wondering "WTF", when he jumps in near me and starts to shoot in my general location trying to find me. And then I suddenly figured that he and his son were probably playing side by side. LOL....

Happens...

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-31 23:14   
Well, this is a MMO, not a FPS, and team-switching so easily should not be allowed. It's just that simple. I don't know of any other team-based PvP MMO that lets you switch sides with the same character so easily. You have to level a new character on the other team, and in some have to do it on a whole different server because you're team-locked on servers.

And before people say "well this is DS not another MMO" I'm well aware of it.

It's not to prevent spying or sabotage, because it won't. It does make it more inconvenient though, but I don't think spying and sabotage are problems right now anyway.

But no matter what, someone who logs on as one faction, then after a little while logs off to play another one, will have knowledge of the numbers and locations of the faction they just left. That's the case in the OP, and I predicted exactly what would happen when he left Kluth to join UGTO. It may just be coincidence that UGTO started capping Kluth planets right after he left Kluth, seeing as there were only 5 of us, and joined UGTO.

As honorable as some faction hoppers are, there's more that aren't, and the simple fact is that this is a team-based PvP MMO and you really should have to choose your team, or at least not be able to change teams at will every 2 minutes.

This certainly isn't the biggest issue at the moment btw. Don't think I'm all crazy wanting this implemented right away.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-31 23:17   
An hour's restriction on bandwagon-jumping should fix it.

Page created in 0.021973 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR