No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +9.3 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Reworking Jumpgates
 Author Reworking Jumpgates
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-04-11 20:02   
Okay, so

the way Jumpgates used to work, a long long time ago, for all the new folk, is that you could spawn from any jumpgate attached to your homesystem. that is, if you owned a chain of systems, say CD 36 - Cygnus - Luyten - Epsilon Ind, you could spawn in Epsilon Ind through the jumpgate in that system. HOWEVER, if someone came along and capped all the planets in Cygnus, you would lose jumpgate spawning access in Luyten and Epsilon Ind.

it got removed when shipyards came along because it didnt really make any sense. but ive got a proposal:

Premises
A) being able to put up a shipyard on the front line of a galaxy at war seems relatively odd. downright crazy, as a matter of fact. no one would realistically invest the resources needed to build entire dreadnaughts into a planet that could be bombed the next day.

B) if I recall in the game cannon the jumpgates were actually discovered (despite the fact they obviously look like ICC built them but anyways...). so they could potentially be capable of things humans/kluth havent figured out yet

C) when jumpgates operated this older way, they added a huge amount of strategic depth to the game. I remember having a huge argument with a fleet of ICC about how useful it would be to capture a key system from kluth so they wouldnt be able to spawn in the 4 systems after it, and how easy it would be to capture those other systems if we could succeed in doing that. turns out i was right =D but anyways, it gives you bottlenecks to aim for and attack. it also meant sitting to ambush jumpgates was a really solid tactic, especially with a minefield. this helped the kluth out quite a lot especially. im sure a lot of players remember 4cemje or whatever his name was.

Rework:

A) building off this older system, make it so jumpgates are a network in a similar fashion. I'm not sure about spawning from them necessarily , but instead have them work in the similar linear network style , so that cutting off one jumpgate can potentially limit faction access to a whole series of systems. on the flip side, when these jumpgate networks are active, entering one jumpgate in a system belonging to a faction allows you to exit from any other jumpgate in the network .

B) change up shipyards a bit too. the home system is the most likely place to have a shipyard, since its presumably the most secure of all of a factions space. coupled with this jumpgate rework above, a faction running at 100% can have 1 well-supplied shipyard churning out ships that then use the jumpgate network to reach the front.

how to make this a possibility? shipyards should be more difficult to build, for one: presumably we're talking about massive structures creating equally massive ships. these also presumably have to be in orbit of a planet, with several smaller ships managing the resources being shipped to construct vessels. massive undertakings, in any regard.

so, some possible suggestions:
- make only terran planets support shipyards
- make their cost increase the further away from the home system of a given faction they are built. increased security costs etc.
- make shipyard planets very clearly visible to the enemy, maybe changing their icon to the flag marker we have in scenario. perhaps make this marker visible the second a shipyards construction is begun, and increase shipyard construction time to something pretty high - half an hour perhaps.
- some combination thereof or any other ideas.

C) results
shipyards wont be unbuildable on the front line, it will just be much more difficult to build and sustain them there. instead it will be more practical for a faction to use its jumpgate networks, but this use will introduce some strategic possibilities and new concepts for gameplay: blockading jumpgates, ambushing enemy fleets, scouting ahead of the main fleet, bypassing ambushes with wormholes, etc. etc.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-11 20:08   
I aprove!!!! with one condition.

The scenario server gets to keep the current system.

=)

Email Meko
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-11 20:15   
I like this idea, will show other people who can think outside of the box. You could hit head on or you could use a WH to cut off another system thus encircling it.

Would require that the MV be 1 server again but if you look at the dev log it is coming back. Just would be nice to have it back sooner rather then later.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-04-11 21:45   
Agreed, bring it back!

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-11 22:10   
Problem is the MV is too small (and by MV I mean Sag).

A simpler solution is simply not allowing people to spawn at any gate except the gate leading to their home server.

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-11 22:54   
Quote:

On 2010-04-11 22:10, MrSparkle wrote:

A simpler solution is simply not allowing people to spawn at any gate except the gate leading to their home server.

And it's only going to get smaller.

Aradrox
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-11 23:15   
Simpler would be a take off UT3 Warfare matches just as long as they are connected you can spawn there or in a SY in that system but if not connected u cant

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-11 23:32   
Quote:

On 2010-04-11 22:10, MrSparkle wrote:

i like this idea better, but then those gates would have to become safe zones to prevent spawn camping as it would be the only place a loosing fleet could spawn at in the end.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-11 23:54   
Hmm didn't think of that. I don't think they should be safezones though because unlike the faction home gates these Sag gates connect two systems.

Technically, since they're gates that connect two systems, flying through them and into enemies camping the other side isn't any different than flying through other gates into campers. The only difference is if your faction lost all planets in Sag they'd have to join their home server to get back.

With gates no longer spawn points, gate camping will be a lot more common anyway, because there'd be real possibilities to prevent enemies from entering your space if they aren't using wormholes.

G.Adm. Kirk
Grand Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-04-12 01:21   
That actually sounds like a fantastic idea, but it really shouldn't be implemented until the MV is restored to its former glory, with an integrated f2.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2010-04-12 03:21   
you know...you guys are forgetting one thing that also happened...LONG JUMPS

get and engy and a tranny with your fleet..engy with 4k metals...tranny with 10k...jump til down to half jump fuel...build a sup plat...reload...then do it again...creating a path across from 1 zone to next.

sneak attack extreme if your faction is light on players and in NEED of serious planet recapping.

yes it would take time to jump there...but NO ONE would know you're enroute..or from where...unless someone sabo's the plans.,IE...joins the grp...finds out whats going on...then changes sides and passes the info.which is just plain wrong...but as there is NOTHING that says an indie has to stay on a faction...just something you have to live with.

But I loved the gate idea much more than Sy.I always thought SY and WH screwed up combat A LOT<
edited for spelling
[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Command*CO* on 2010-04-12 07:14 ]

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-04-12 17:49   
Actually, I think that last bit falls under sabotage in the RoC, CO, which is a bannable offense last time I checked - which was a while ago admittedly.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Page created in 0.021559 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR