No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +13.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Jump Effect
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Jump Effect
Sinister Strawberry
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-23 17:27   
Awsome new jump effect well done indeed !

there is a bug where when u move the camera around the star effect gets all *crumpled* up
[ This Message was edited by: Slycon *MW* on 2010-04-23 17:32 ]

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-23 17:32   
I really don't like the doppler effect... I'd rather you bring back the smoke effect and make this new JD effect for jumps within... lets say 2k Gus. Anything over and you get a nice Smoke Screen over your windshields

-Apollo

Katejina
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-23 18:21   
Its not really new its a very old one in fact they just switch back and forth between them.

Lunatiq
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-23 23:08   
I personally love it.

The star streaks when you right click+pan is interesting, but can be a little distracting. I'm all for new, even if recycled

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-23 23:09   
I would like to see doppler effect more like icc engine trail. More transparent.

Nimitz
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-04-24 03:09   
Can't say I'm a fan of the new effects, much prefer the one before!
\"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.\" -- Rich Cook

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-04-24 04:46   
The stripes dont always appear correctly. They are not linear, but scrambled. And when longjumping and targetting someone else, you get a whole bunch of lines around that person.

Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-24 11:05   
Absolutely terrible in my honest opinion.. I loved darkspace for the cool smoke effects during jump, now it looks like a child went crazy in MS Paint.

Blue lines and red rings? Aweful!

/Honest feedback

Redneck Rebel
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-24 12:11   
i like the effect....but why blue in front and red behind?

YEEEEEEHAAW!

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-24 13:08   
Light moving faster than you appears blue, light moving slower appears red. It's very, very difficult to see and gets more prominent the faster you get. It's theorised that at FTL speeds might coming towards you is bathed in a blue light, whereas light moving is red.

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-04-24 13:35   
Doppler effect

Email Antra
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-24 14:43   
Quote:

On 2010-04-24 13:08, BackSlash wrote:
Light moving faster than you appears blue, light moving slower appears red. It's very, very difficult to see and gets more prominent the faster you get. It's theorised that at FTL speeds might coming towards you is bathed in a blue light, whereas light moving is red.

It's actually more about the motion of the ship in this case, if you are moving towards light, the light will compress and it will appear blue getting more and more intense in blue-shift the faster you travel towards it, while light behind you will be stretched out appearing red shifting more and more towards the red end of the spectrum as the lightsource moves away at higher and higher speeds. The lightsource can be purely stationary in this case.

This applies to any electro-magnetic wavelength, even sound:

An example of source motion causing doppler would be like a jet airplane flying overhead, while the plane is seemingly moving towards you, the pitch of that sound will be high, whereas immediately after it passes you, the pitch gets very low as the soundwaves are stretched out behind it.

[ This Message was edited by: Scientia *JBud* on 2010-04-24 14:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Scientia *JBud* on 2010-04-24 14:47 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-24 17:37   
Of course, technically what you'd see when travelling at the speed of light would be the entire observable universe squashed into a zero-width line when looking at 90 degrees to the direction of travel. Everything in front would be so far blue-shifted that it would be the hardest of hard radiation and would kill you essentially instantly, while behind you would be so red-shifted that it would be the faintest of infra-red and nigh-invisible.
You would also impact everything directly in front of you and die, since travelling an infinite distance would take zero time relative to your point of view.

But hey, this is a game about INTERNET SPACESHIPS! so pretty blue and red lines are going to be the closest you're going to get to convincing relativistic effects.
[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2010-04-24 17:38 ]

Sopwith Camel
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-25 00:16   
Why would traveling at or above c make travelling at an infinite distance take zero time? Wouldn't the time t to travel distance d at speed v still be t=d/v for values of v, below, at, or above c?

Quote:

On 2010-04-24 17:37, Gejaheline wrote:
Of course, technically what you'd see when travelling at the speed of light would be the entire observable universe squashed into a zero-width line when looking at 90 degrees to the direction of travel. Everything in front would be so far blue-shifted that it would be the hardest of hard radiation and would kill you essentially instantly, while behind you would be so red-shifted that it would be the faintest of infra-red and nigh-invisible.
You would also impact everything directly in front of you and die, since travelling an infinite distance would take zero time relative to your point of view.

But hey, this is a game about INTERNET SPACESHIPS! so pretty blue and red lines are going to be the closest you're going to get to convincing relativistic effects.
[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2010-04-24 17:38 ]

Fleet Commander, Galactic Navy

Aeraesoria
Admiral
Synchronicity

Posted: 2010-04-25 00:37   
AHHHHH MATH... I got good enough what Jbud was saying... also there would be a thing called a nav computer that would plot your course SO you wouldn't run into anything... lol

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.018833 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR