No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Jump Effect
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Jump Effect
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-25 07:59   
The problem with moving at luminal speeds is that you start suffering from relativistic effects related to the strange fact that light's speed is always constant, regardless of the observer's speed.

Someone standing still with a light beam going past them will see the light as travelling at c. Someone in a sportscar driving at 200km/h in the same direction as that light beam will also see the light travelling at c, and not c+200km/h.

Essentially, the speed of light is always the same, and time and space will warp to ensure that this is so, regardless of a particular observer's perspective

The upshot of this is that if you're sitting in your spaceship accelerating, your view of the outside universe will slowly compress, making distances ahead and behind your shorter.
Similarly, someone outside the ship sitting at rest with regards to the rest of the universe would see your ship getting shorter (well, technically strange things start to happen due to lightspeed echoes and lag, but assume we've got some kind of perfect, faster-than-light radar or something).

Time would also appear to slow down, but that's a secondary effect for the purposes of this exercise.

As your ship got closer to lightspeed, the outside observer would see your ship getting progressively flatter. Not wider; only the length along the direction of travel is affected. Eventually, at 99.99...% of the speed of light, your ship would be pretty much completely two-dimensional, with a tiny length.

Similarly, for the pilot, the rest of the universe would be getting crushed into a distance barely longer than the ship itself. This isn't exactly a problem until you actually hit the speed of light, which is normally impossible.

However, assuming that you somehow manage to break the light barrier, the laws of physics will hiccup. The formulae for calculating relativistic effects like time and space compression rely on the ratio between the speed of light and velocity.

The equation is L'=L * Sqrt(1 - v^2 / c^2)

Where
L' is the observed length of the moving object (in this case the rest of the universe);
L is the length of the object when at rest;
v is the relative velocity of the moving object;
c is the speed of light.

Now, this may look complicated, but we're about to make it pretty simple. Since we're travelling at the speed of light, v and c are equal, so dividing one with the other makes 1.

L' = L * Sqrt(1-1)
= L * Sqrt(0)

Since the square root of zero is zero, we have to multiply the starting length by zero. Which makes zero.

The distance between the ship and any object in front or behind it is zero. t=d/v still applies, but since d has been compressed to zero, we have already arrived, colliding with everything and killing everyone.

For more information on the strange things that happen when you approach the speed of light, I'd recommend checking out the C-ship.

EDIT: Square root signs.

[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2010-04-25 12:31 ]

Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-25 08:17   
Quote:

On 2010-04-24 11:05, Xpli$it wrote:
Absolutely terrible in my honest opinion.. I loved darkspace for the cool smoke effects during jump, now it looks like a child went crazy in MS Paint.

Blue lines and red rings? Aweful!

/Honest feedback

LOL.

Ah, this makes me giggle.

-Dem

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-25 09:38   
Quote:

On 2010-04-25 07:59, Gejaheline wrote:
lots of stuff

jeez i get enough of physics at school seriously this is just waaaaay over the top
[ This Message was edited by: Mithrandir on 2010-04-25 18:36 ]

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-25 10:35   
Quote:

On 2010-04-25 09:38, obsidian shadow wrote:

jeez i get enough of physics at school seriously this is just waaaaay over the top

What's really over the top is how you quoted my entire post just for a single sentence.

It's not like I'm forcing you to read this- some people might actually be interested in the science behind superluminal travel, and how the game differs from reality. If you're not interested, there's no need to read or comment.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-25 11:42   
The science is sound, the gfx nice.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Sopwith Camel
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-25 12:26   
Quote:

For more information on the strange things that happen when you approach the speed of light, I'd recommend checking out the C-ship.

thanks for clarifying!

Fleet Commander, Galactic Navy

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-04-25 17:20   
i like the new effect

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-25 21:59   
Quote:

The problem with moving at luminal speeds is that you start suffering from relativistic effects related to the strange fact that light's speed is always constant, regardless of the observer's speed.

Someone standing still with a light beam going past them will see the light as travelling at c. Someone in a sportscar driving at 200km/h in the same direction as that light beam will also see the light travelling at c, and not c+200km/h.

Essentially, the speed of light is always the same, and time and space will warp to ensure that this is so, regardless of a particular observer's perspective

The upshot of this is that if you're sitting in your spaceship accelerating, your view of the outside universe will slowly compress, making distances ahead and behind your shorter.
Similarly, someone outside the ship sitting at rest with regards to the rest of the universe would see your ship getting shorter (well, technically strange things start to happen due to lightspeed echoes and lag, but assume we've got some kind of perfect, faster-than-light radar or something).

Time would also appear to slow down, but that's a secondary effect for the purposes of this exercise.

As your ship got closer to lightspeed, the outside observer would see your ship getting progressively flatter. Not wider; only the length along the direction of travel is affected. Eventually, at 99.99...% of the speed of light, your ship would be pretty much completely two-dimensional, with a tiny length.

Similarly, for the pilot, the rest of the universe would be getting crushed into a distance barely longer than the ship itself. This isn't exactly a problem until you actually hit the speed of light, which is normally impossible.

However, assuming that you somehow manage to break the light barrier, the laws of physics will hiccup. The formulae for calculating relativistic effects like time and space compression rely on the ratio between the speed of light and velocity.

The equation is L'=L * Sqrt(1 - v^2 / c^2)

Where
L' is the observed length of the moving object (in this case the rest of the universe);
L is the length of the object when at rest;
v is the relative velocity of the moving object;
c is the speed of light.

Now, this may look complicated, but we're about to make it pretty simple. Since we're travelling at the speed of light, v and c are equal, so dividing one with the other makes 1.

L' = L * Sqrt(1-1)
= L * Sqrt(0)

Since the square root of zero is zero, we have to multiply the starting length by zero. Which makes zero.

The distance between the ship and any object in front or behind it is zero. t=d/v still applies, but since d has been compressed to zero, we have already arrived, colliding with everything and killing everyone.

EDIT: Square root signs.

[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2010-04-25 12:31 ]

Einstein theorized that your (or your ship's) mass would increase as you approached the SOL. And you would need infinite energy to accelerate to the SOL as your ship's mass would approach infinity. And since infinity is greater than the mass of the universe, you can't get a ship to reach the SOL.

Sci Fi tends to get around that by toying with the curved space theory. If space is curved then surely the fastest way from Point A to B would be not to move on the curve, but to go directly thru curved space (i.e, hyperspace, nullspace, nonspace, subspace)

Makes me wonder why DS is not going with the hyperspace idea.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-25 22:15   
Quote:

On 2010-04-25 08:17, Demorian wrote:

Hi Dem!

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
| Dark Hiigaran |
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-26 05:34   
I don't rly like the new effect. colours are to colourufull. but i do lik Apolo's idea with 2k gu only, after that smoke

Email | Dark Hiigaran |
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-26 18:24   
With the recent update we pushed some jump effect changes, as some of you may have noticed. We took onboard some of your citicisms and ideas, and changed the effect.

You may notice the colours have been toned down a lot, and are no longer as vivid. We also lowered the sensitivity of the star field, you may notice that the streaks it creates are no longer the length of the screen with a small flick of the mouse.

- Jack

RageMastaFlex
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-26 19:32   
[quote]
On 2010-04-25 21:59, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:

Einstein theorized that your (or your ship's) mass would increase as you approached the SOL. And you would need infinite energy to accelerate to the SOL as your ship's mass would approach infinity. And since infinity is greater than the mass of the universe, you can't get a ship to reach the SOL.

Sci Fi tends to get around that by toying with the curved space theory. If space is curved then surely the fastest way from Point A to B would be not to move on the curve, but to go directly thru curved space (i.e, hyperspace, nullspace, nonspace, subspace)

well... that is a good point except for the fact that, there are many things that approach, and exceed the speed of light.

My main point here is, a Black Hole. Time dilation aside, the gravitational exceleration would bring you past the speed of light. Now bring time back into the equation, and the closer you get to the event horizion, the slower time travles, so you would spend an infinate ammount of time in an instant.

anyways, if we are to figure out FTL, the key will be Black holes. for sure.

Email RageMastaFlex
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-26 23:10   
[quote]
On 2010-04-26 19:32, XRate{Heavy Metal} wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-25 21:59, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:

well... that is a good point except for the fact that, there are many things that approach, and exceed the speed of light.

My main point here is, a Black Hole. Time dilation aside, the gravitational exceleration would bring you past the speed of light. Now bring time back into the equation, and the closer you get to the event horizion, the slower time travles, so you would spend an infinate ammount of time in an instant.

anyways, if we are to figure out FTL, the key will be Black holes. for sure.

That aside. The revised effects are much more subtle and nicer now.

Back to FTL, well, that's the thing about black holes. Scientists are speculating that BHs (like WHs) lead to, or are a tunnel thru spacetime. Effectively meaning naturally occuring hyperspace tunnels.

Another advantage to hyperspace.... since you're "dropping out" of normal space-time into hyperspace, you don't have to worry about obstacles like the stars or planets I suppose..... So jump plotting will be easier.

Lockerd
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-27 10:06   
what about having smoke wash over the ship durring jump as to look like moving through water and when exiting the smoke would move back behind the ship slowly?

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-27 11:07   
speaking of jump effect, Anyone tough of a Warm up effect before the jump drives activates?

Like, Space particles goes toward the exhaust of the ships, a blue aura appears exhausting from the ship and then boom ship jumps, (Those who played "Armored core For answer" will understand what i mean)

Of course this would required a Change in the JD that once pressed a warm up with the effect of maximum of a Second and a half. don't think ti would change game play much, but would look really amazing
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024513 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR