No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +16.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » why no kluth dread for va?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author why no kluth dread for va?
*Neon*
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-25 19:31   
Have been playing kluth since i started playing but admittedley been trying out various factions ships in scen every time i rank up. Just confused as to why there is ni dread for kluth va??? understand game balance issues must be at play but my luth cruiser is still no match for an uggie or iccie dead

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-25 19:38   
K'Luth are ment to be an advanced faction for higher ranking officers, the ships have higher costs. (Similar to how the Krill requires Grand Admiral while the EAD/AD require Fleet Admiral.)

The KLuth ships take more skill to pilot, thus, more skillpoints are required.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-04-25 20:31   
Neon,

You're probably just not noticing this or just thinking the main theme is to get into the biggest baddest ship around and kill everything. Many ships in darkspace have niche uses...a cruiser or destroyer might be the best to use as a scout since their drives cycle quickly enough (usually) to not get your ship blown up while scouting and getting jumped by dreadnoughts.

You can't fight a dreadnought and win, usually, but you can at least survive and use your superior speed and other capaibilities to perform missions the dreadnought is ill suited to do.

The same thing applies to other classes - you may have noticed a lot of this already as your worked your way up to VA. Niche specialty ships is what Darkspace is all about and why no one ship is best at everything.

Oh, and I've been there too, a long time ago as I worked my way up in rank starting in 2002. I always saw the next ship as the answer to all my ship needs, only to discover afterwards that everything has a use.
[ This Message was edited by: Fornax on 2010-04-25 20:33 ]

Doubelieve
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-25 20:48   
Well put Fornax and most true. A Torpedo Cruiser for instance. It is quite effective against the CD and AD if piloted right.

Email Doubelieve
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-25 21:21   

I agree with Fornax.

Each ship has its pros and cons. It's all about what role you want to fulfil for your fleet/faction, and choosing the right ship for the right job.

A dread is not a super ship. And even a dread will eventually fall to 2 or 3 well piloted cruisers.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-25 23:09   
Why do you need dread when you can use scarab? Scarab when used correctly is the best and deadliest ship in ds.

Practicly it is almost imposible to kill a station in various cruiser right? Ask icc what we did to Line station with afew scrabas..

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-26 00:31   
The reason why is based on an older version, and not really anything else currently in the game.

Once upon a time, Kluth dessies and cruisers were the bane of slow human dreads. They only had 3 dreads then tho. The cruiser was the mainstay of the kluth fleet then, augmented next by dessies, then a siphon or two, maybe a gang, maybe a Hive. Due to the higher offensive capabilities of the smaller class Luth ships, the rank reqs were a little higher to get a dread. I mean, you could own a freaking EAD in a Claw. Really, how bad do you really need a Siphon at that point?

Since then, many things have changed. While the cruisers and dessies are no longer as powerful as they once were, they are still offensively superior to their human counterparts in most cases. Their energy is really really bad, specifically in a dessie. Well....no, yeah its just horrendous.

I think that the ship reqs should be re-evaluated, but since Luth is becoming just a human faction in a weirder skin, we'd need more dreads for that probably.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-26 02:25   
How about we change the skin....? Or at least the color?
Black, oily, shimmering black skin please.

This cockroach color thingy gets stinky after awhile. LOL.

Edit: I wouldn't mind a Dread with AM torps removed and replaced by AM Mines instead.

Or a more heavily armored and armed cruiser.
[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-04-26 03:30 ]

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-26 04:20   
Quote:

On 2010-04-25 20:31, Fornax wrote:

Oh, and I've been there too, a long time ago as I worked my way up in rank starting in 2002. I always saw the next ship as the answer to all my ship needs, only to discover afterwards that everything has a use.

sure, every ship have a theoretical use. but the bigger the ship the faster the press pour in.

you don't take for example a dessy or cruiser into combat if you have access to a dread, because even tho you might survive in that dessy or cruiser you most likely wont earn much pres in it.

while a dread pilot can literally not care about blowing up and still end up gaining quite alot of pres in some pretty unfair battles.

and if said dread pilot manage to survive it, all the more pres he will gain

so if you want ppl to truly play this game the way you have envisioned, make all ships earn the same ammount of pres over time.

THEN you will see more ppl in the smaller ships because having the biggest ones wont be such a massive advantage pres gain wise.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-26 04:46   
Quote:

On 2010-04-26 04:20, Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-25 20:31, Fornax wrote:

sure, every ship have a theoretical use. but the bigger the ship the faster the press pour in.

you don't take for example a dessy or cruiser into combat if you have access to a dread, because even tho you might survive in that dessy or cruiser you most likely wont earn much pres in it.

while a dread pilot can literally not care about blowing up and still end up gaining quite alot of pres in some pretty unfair battles.

and if said dread pilot manage to survive it, all the more pres he will gain

so if you want ppl to truly play this game the way you have envisioned, make all ships earn the same ammount of pres over time.

THEN you will see more ppl in the smaller ships because having the biggest ones wont be such a massive advantage pres gain wise.

Isn't there already a mechanism somewhere that gives you more pres for hurting ships of equivalent or greater size, and less pres for killing ships smaller than yours?

Anyway, a smaller ship can gain pres too. He just needs to be at the right place at the right time. Get in with some friendly dreads and pound a common target to a pulp.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-26 06:48   
The Scale is equiv to the other factions Dreadnoughts at VA.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-26 07:22   
Quote:

On 2010-04-26 06:48, BackSlash wrote:

But not in armor or survivability.

Nimitz
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-04-26 07:40   
Quote:

On 2010-04-26 07:22, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
But not in armor or survivability.

No, but does it need it? It has a cloaking device, which is already a layer of defence.
\"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.\" -- Rich Cook

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-26 09:02   
Quote:

On 2010-04-26 06:48, BackSlash wrote:

the scale can own other va ranked dreds.

Email Borgie
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-26 10:30   
No, scale is no good about survivebility and energy comparing with a dread. Still the best option for kluth is scarab.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024534 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR