- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +23.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » desync, one of the biggest killers
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author desync, one of the biggest killers
Dorans imaginary buddy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-04 16:23   
i have next to no idea how it happens but when it does it really screws you. can it be solved? hows it happen? can we just add a resync butten? these questions seem to be simplistic yet needed because i desync quite alot (i think) and im just trying to figure out how why when and what is being done to fix it, also i would like to find out how i can prevent it from happening to me if i even can.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-04 17:15   
You are one of those players who lags A LOT in-game. It might not be desync, but just latency on your end.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-04 17:32   
my wost desync was when i jumped 20% hull left a 10 second jump and i died half way there

yes 5 seconds after i jumped
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-04 17:51   
Wanna laugh?

Im told the issue is with my internet.

I respond: Funny, I can play a net intensive game like SWG with such a small amount of lag that its imperceptible, and rare at that.

Im then told that DS is different than other games.

And that the issue is my net.

Hmmm. Lets see here.....

I play other games no problem. I play DS I desynch. The reason other games dont cause the issue is because they are different than DS. Yet the problem isnt DS.....

Crazy yet?

Read it through again then until you get it.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-05-04 18:03   
Quote:

hows it happen?

do u have slow-ish/unreliable-ish internet? (like me...ish)
Quote:

my wost desync was when i jumped 20% hull left a 10 second jump and i died half way there

yes 5 seconds after i jumped

unfortionatly, this is very common for me. I've learned to accept this and include it when im planing my getaway, and i've accepted that connection loss does result in the odd death (ex. flying straight towards a planet-disconnected. Jump into a battle-disconnected)

I get disconnected often then something stuid happens like not being given the option to reconnect(see next quote)and then relize im disconnected when i see people doing barel roles through planets, or my mouse dissapears on the reconnect screen so i alt+tab out just to see it stuck in the left top hand corner of my screen, forcing me to not only restart DS, but my whole computer too(of corse using keyboard shortcuts since my mouse is then useless untill i restart).

what causes the mouse to get stuck anyway? a bug? a fix pls?
Quote:

can we just add a resync butten?

Thats what i made a whole post about a week or so ago. never got an actual answer tho... (keep bugging the devs )

My Post: Disconnected without option to Reconnect?-i was thinking a button players that were disconnected without the option to reconnect could use to reconnet, without having to restart DS(feel free to post further comments )

NoBoDx's Post: Re-sync-Button ?-similar to what i was thinking but not quite the same...
Quote:

when

i recently investigated with my ISP why i am constantly getting crapped out with my internet.

My internet is supost to be something like 112 (or so)kb/s. i have never seen it above 60-70kb/s. They avoided answering the question to why this is so every time i asked it. The best answer i got was that its cause im using a wireless connection-but i don't always.

They said that around 2:00pm-11:00pm their network is heavily trafficed. Often at around 8:00pm my connection is so lagged down that i have to log off DS caus i get disconnected every 10 min(normally weeknights). I suspect this to be a large part of my problem.

I can download a maximum of 27.5mb every hour. (which i think is just rediculous to begin with, but it is a light speed-high speed internet so what do u expect. The sad thing is the $200.00/month 2mb/s internet only has a 100mb/hour max.) After that maximum hourly amount is reached i get cut down to dialup speed (which tends to happen pretty quickly when ur running something like team speak, and DS especially after updating some ~25mb update for DS. To get back up to my normal internet speed i have to completly disconnect from my internet for 1 hour. I believe that devices such as the PS3 and iPod Touch still keep an internet connection when on standby mode (but i could be wrong?).

Also, the weather. If ur internet is through something like a satelite dish, then storms will destroy ur connection. For me, even a medium sized rain storm will prevent me from even connecting to the internet.

So... Questions to ask yourself:
  • Is ur connection wireless?

• Is there maybe something interfiering with the signal?

• How much data is ur router rated to transmit at a time?

• How far away from ur router r u?
  • Are you playing DS at high-traffic times?

• Does your ISP have any sort of hourly limit on ur bandwidth usage?

• Does the weather effect your connection?

Hope this helps a bit...

-Space
Quote:

You are one of those players who lags A LOT in-game.

*sits down without another word*

[ This Message was edited by: SpaceGateKid on 2010-05-04 19:19 ]

Dorans imaginary buddy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-04 19:50   
Well i am wireless but I get a lat of about 100and fps of about30 and that's playable. I'm just wondering why the deva blame our internet when I can play wow with a lat of about 40 or bf2 with a lat of 50ish. I do not think it's my lat and I do infact lag alot when I enter a game because my comp is loading the stuff (planets ships players guifen) then I'm good to go. It is true that I have problems some time but it's vary rare and normally when there is 60 million people on the screen. So I do blame my wireless but I also blame the server because I'm not sure why it is diff from a wow server (it's most likely smaller) or a bf2 sever (probley bigger then most bf2 servers. From what I understand wow uses a active refresh system. Sorry this is souch. A pain to read I taped the out on a Iphone lol!
[ This Message was edited by: Spirit Of Fire on 2010-05-04 19:52 ]

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-04 19:56   
got to admit, i play lot of Online multiplayer games , Hard to beleive its OUR internet although, Spacegate, your internet just suck iv seen you get under ship but you disconnected thus i kept seeing your ship going lower, and lower and lower.....

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-04 20:00   
If we used a combat system like WoW's, or for that matter, every other MMO out there, a great deal of the skill that's required to play would be removed.

All other MMO's use a roll-based system, meaning the server spends a single milisecond deciding if a series of attacks will hit someone. A projectile in WoW for example, cannot be intercepted, or hit another person mid flight. Whether it hits or not is pre-determined.

If we went this path, we could have potentially hundreds on the same server, but it'd remove pretty much all skill in the game.

Our servers track all the projectiels in the game in real time, meaning they hit something that gets in the way. It means you can self-destruct projectiles and cause splash damage if they miss. It also means you can fire into a point in space.

It's incredibly difficult to perfectly track all of this over the internet due to latency. Even 40 ms is a lot. If a projectile misses you on your screen, but hits on the server due to that 40 ms gap, and then the server tells you that you got damaged, and your client drops the packet, then you never realise you got hit.

Making games and designing the servers is not a simple task. Repairing situations like this are very difficult.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-04 21:59   
got to admit, i play lot of Online multiplayer games , Hard to beleive its OUR internet although, Spacegate, your internet just suck iv seen you get under ship but you disconnected thus i kept seeing your ship going lower, and lower and lower.....

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-05-04 22:44   
Just a non random question for you guys, and a anwer.
How many FPS games are out there where you can have more then 40 players in a single map..

Counterstrike. Battlefield. COD:MW2
All these games have a player limit, because otherwise it will become almost impossible to play. Frag out v/s Lag out.

While not being a FPS darkspace has the same issue's, that you won't find in most other MMO's

O wait jack said that over and over already..

Jamesbond
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-04 23:08   
i think zero28's internet sucks cause he just double posted something 2 hours apart!

Email Jamesbond
Fallen |3lood Angel*Kiyoh*
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-04 23:14   
Quote:

On 2010-05-04 23:08, Jamesbond [R33] wrote:
i think zero28's internet sucks cause he just double posted something 2 hours apart!

thats some really bad lag?

Don't waste your time, Or time will waste you.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-04 23:27   
Sigh... It's not desync or lag....

Despite millions of dollars of research, DEATH continues to be our nation's number one killer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kXl8LyD_JA

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-05-04 23:30 ]

ssj4megaman
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-04 23:47   
This has to be an issue with the netcode of the game or the servers... DS has always had desync issues and its even localised to where alot of people are, it is the only game where i have to LOG off and log back in just to get out of the desyc, sorry but i just see it being the connection of all these people. Now i have a slightely different view for my connection because i work for the isp where i get my connection from, and have access to diagnostic tools and i do not see these issues present, no pkt loss, low latency within the network etc etc...

Lag and desyncs are 2 different things, lag is easy to spot, desync is not until you die with full health or you get conflicting report from people about the status (health) of your ship.

I to have played practically every major mmo on the market and 90+ % of them in closed beta including DS and i do not get tehse issue's in any othe mmo... And ds could be considered a non fps/ fps type game, and i do not see these issues in any of those games either. Ut, quake, ut2k4, cs, tf2, global agenda, etc etc etc...

My quess is it's a netcode/server issue when alot of people are in a small (confined) area battling, and can happen when people are not in battle, but alot of people are in an area....

i think probably the easiest way to test it is for someone to go to proc, let the ai gather up in a area/planet and play for a bit, you will easily see it.

Email ssj4megaman
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-05 06:42   
I don't get why people are comparing other games to DarkSpace. No other game uses a system like DarkSpace, ergo, you can't compare it.

It's like saying "I DON'T LAG IN PONG, BUT I LAG IN UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3!". Makes no sense.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.035421 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR