Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » CPU run at max
 Author CPU run at max
Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-24 18:01   
I read on a forum about another game, where the trouble was that the cpu ran at 100% when the game was on. Claimed it was a bug in how the game was written.

Anyways im looking at this game and i also see that my CPU is running at 100% here. And i used me old computer and the same result there.

So im wondering if somethings wrong with both me computers or others have the same issue.

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-24 18:26   
uhhh if your talking about running 100% on DS, im guessing your comp is a little old.

My comp use to run 100% on DS until I got a new 1.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-05-24 19:31   
Are you running in Windowed mode or alt-tabbing between task manager? When switching apps your CPU usage spikes for a short time.

Email Tael
Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-24 19:37   
I run in windowed mode and when I use the client it does max out core 0. So states a generally constant 25% usage.

Evidence:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/436799/25percent.jpg
[ This Message was edited by: Little Pet Slinki on 2010-05-24 19:42 ]

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Fallen |3lood Angel*Kiyoh*
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-24 20:03   
my cpu runs at 100% on darkspace, but when im on darkspace i also have iTunes, and sometimes teamspeak running

Don't waste your time, Or time will waste you.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-05-24 20:39   
when i run darkspace my CPU runs at 4% avg if thats the only thing i have running (i do have 4 cores)

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Fallen |3lood Angel*Kiyoh*
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-24 22:39   
nice, my laptop only has one core i think, works well enough for me though

Don't waste your time, Or time will waste you.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-25 08:18   
Games are designed to use all of your computer.

What's the point in having a 3.2Ghz processor when it doesn't use all of it?

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-25 09:02   
CPU is new. Intel Core I5 2,67Ghz Thats 4 cores

Anyways i was runing 2-3 games at the same time, (Not DS) then i had average CPU usage of 60%.

And when im runing DS it has 100% usage. Those other games are pretty new to and i would imagine they where heavier then DS alone.

It didnt change if i was windowed or not. Always 100%

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-25 09:10   
Mine's locked to one core, runs at 25%. Even if it does run at 100%, not really a big deal. Games are designed to do that.

Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-25 09:45   
Though I'd generally agree that games are CPU hoggish, I'd like to say that this is not a standard run of the mill "mmorpg". However, I'd just like to point out a few things first before my final note on this.

In menu screens, CPU for me seems to be about 20-30%, but as soon as I enter the game (even the ship selection) it maxes out on 100%. I think it also depends on the resolution/windowed (or not).

Oddly enough, when I put the resolution lower on windowed mode ( as well as all the textures ), my CPU usage nearly doubled in the pre-ship section. When I near max it out for my resolution (I have 1680x1050, but set to 1600x900), it dropped back to 20%. (default settings via my Nvidia panel)

All in all though, perhaps the average computer user/gamer can walk away and be happy with a response like "games are designed to do that", but knowing a bit myself I call bullocks to that, as much as I respect the work of the devs/admins here. However, I do understand why one would get defensive on things like this, as fixing things and overhauling would be a bit of a daunting pain. (especially in terms of efficiency)

[ This Message was edited by: Ferrin on 2010-05-25 10:10 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-25 10:17   
It appears you don't know as much as you thought you did then.

Unless you limit the game in some arbitrary form (FPS limit, etc), there will be nothing stopping the game from utilizing all of your systems resources. Pretty much all games work like this, they will utilize all they need to.

There's an FPS limit function in the setup where you can lock the frame output which will in turn, lower the CPU usage.

However, stating that games don't work like that is just misleading and bad information .

Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-25 10:25   
Try not to give me that.

Quad i7 @ 3.06ghz with 2 video cards should not have a laggy/non-responsive load up screen. I am sorry, but thats not my computers fault. Never have I experienced it other than in DS. This was also tested on quite a few operating systems as well as different machines.

When the medusa source came out a year ago I quickly jumped in before it went offline and went through it and easily pinpointed a few problems. Yes, heavy games should use up as much CPU power as possible on high settings, but did you even read my post? all low settings, low res, and cpu usage went up? 20-30% on a pre-ship menu screen? 100% on 1 core for ship selection? (on Windows 7 atm)

In an ideal world, yes, I agree with you. But are you saying that Darkspace by Palestar is 100% bug free? Is this what you are trying to get at? Maybe? Possibly?

Considering I can run settings maxed out (for my sli cards) on games like CitiesXL with little to no lag.. (even THEN my systems resources cannot max out). Not to mention also be able to run multiple games at one time, amongst other things including virtual environments.. Your statements are flawed.

Yes, its great utilizing CPU usage and locking at 100% for that one core. Lets very slowly melt the processors on the laptops that play this game and become the precursor on why they overheat.

Mind you, right now I am on an AMD 5000+ overclocked with nvidia 8500gt, but the problem persists. You not knowing me and saying that I do not know as much as I think + you denying such said problem is one of the reasons why I dont bother to help out.

I mean, I offer some quick tests to help test things out and you ridicule me? what kind of backwater support does this community try to dish out?

[ This Message was edited by: Ferrin on 2010-05-25 11:09 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-25 13:57   
100% CPU usage is not a bug. It's designed to use all your system. It's an old engine so isn't designed to take advantage of multiple cores, hence why you will always see 100% usage on one core.

DarkSpace will always use 100% of your CPU if you let it. Most games will as they're designed to take advantage of as much hardware as they can. 10% CPU power not used is 10% CPU power WASTED. This is an age old saying by game developers used to stretch games to their limits.

I'm not saying that we are stretching your machine to its limits, but there is no arbitrary limit to how much power DarkSpace is supposed to take. As I stated earlier, the FPS limit in setup lowers CPU usage. This is mostly designed to help those with one core or a single processor as they can multitask easier.

Also, stating that 'melting' laptops by running at 100% usage is just hogwash. Any system that cannot be utilised 100% for long periods of time is not designed for gaming period. This applies to desktops et al.

I'm not quite sure what sort of Carebear reply you thought you'd get by dishing out misinformation in hopes to mislead the community and their thoughts of the game .

DarkSpace will always utilise 100% of one core on your processor if you do not set a output limit in setup. This is not a bug.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-05-25 14:21 ]

Siginau
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 06:16   
fortunately DS does not use my entire core, but just how much it needs of the core to process its requests.

Page created in 0.024992 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR