No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Planetary Rebellions.
 Author Planetary Rebellions.
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-20 09:11   
Pretty simple idea, kind of a way I think better reworks how Rebellions work.

Instead of morale getting low and everyone just praying it doesn't go (or praying it does, depending on which side you're on), how it would work is as follows.

As morale gets low, portions of the planets population and infantry begin to Rebel. Planetary morale should itself be expanded into something more than what it is. But thats another discussion. All that should happen is that planets shoud get a distinction between population and workers. Population simply being the total population in real numbers (so those 200 millions something inhabitants are accounted for), and workers, which is just a representation of this for building purposes.

Anyways. Morale gets low because there isn't enough food, or the planet has been blockaded too long, or because they just don't have enough beer. They Rebel. What this does is switches a portion of the population to being rebels (they can't be used as workers), maybe 15-30% of it. And a small number of rebel infantry.

The infantry that rebels will begin fighting with the primary factions infantry. When this happens you will see something like Civil War has erupted on x. X being the planet.

When this happens, you have precious time to fix whatever the hell is wrong with the planet and set things right before the rebellion wins. And believe me if unattended, the rebellion should win. The planets population slowly gets converted and infantry starts to die (population fuels infantry for the rebel cause). Then you just treat it as planetary capture mechanics. Whoever has the most wins.

Obviously, the best way to prevent rebellion in this case the the totalitarian way - just throw down more troops until they have been eradicated and there is no more support for the cause.

You can also fix food by getting more farms down (duh), or ending enemy fighting around the planet for sometime, or whatever. Maybe even structures specially designed to keep morale up.

Either way, makes for more interesting dynamics than a planet in the distance suddenly deciding it feels like being yellow instead of green.

-Ent

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-06-22 09:26   
Good reason, good idea, good system, good grammar.

A suggestion for rebellion rework was much needed, and this idea is befitting the bill of the dynamic universe of darkspace. 5/5 for new rebellion system.
The rebellion system should re-calculate the percentage of rebel population and infantry every 10 minutes, so that the planet has a good chance to stabilise its people automatically. Every 10 minutes, 1 dome is turned to rebel status.Factional infantry are needed to douse the uprising before it increases, which should consume/kill 2 infantry and take 6 minutes to reinstate loyalty in the rebel dome, excluding killing rebel infantry.
Every sequential rebellion should result in an extra dome to rebel, alongwith 2 infantry, so that by the fifth rebellion a total of 15 domes rebel, and 30 infantry rebel in the fightings.

A new building for reducing chance and level of rebelling is not really needed, though. And the time between rebellions should be based on planet population, for a planet with 50 population, rebellion occurs every 10 minutes, and a planet with 100 population rebels once every 15 minutes.

The only drawback is the type of blockade system used. If it is resistive in nature (planets don't report blockades easily), then this system is rather harsh. The reverse is true for a lenient (easy to blockade) system.

+1 to new blockade system.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-22 10:42   
If I may add just ever so slightly to Ent's suggestion.

Rebellion means the populus rises up against the current authority. I therefore suggest that, as Ent said, current inf do not turn rebel, but rather they remain and new inf are generated on the planet surface as rebel which then fight the existing faction inf for dominance of the planet.

That part that I would like to add is that these generated inf come from the planet population. By that I mean the population of the planet decreases by some amount for every rebel inf generated (1, 2, 5 population reduction per rebel inf, whatever seems reasonable).

That way the size of the rebellion is based on the number of people on the planet. From this, you could also gauge a rebellion, like a small rebellion may permit 20% of the population to turn into rebels, but maybe a major rebellion could turn 90% of the population into rebels.

It would be logical that these rebel inf would come appear either on the colony hub or on the domes, since that is where the people are.

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-22 13:37   
I like it, except the part about blockades effecting moral given how easy it is to start a blockade.

Although this may not be an issue when we have the new planetary system.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-06-22 16:32   
I like it, but i see one problem.
Say UGTO is defending a planet, and here i come along in my clavate, and i blow up the food supply and a research building, so they cant build a new one quickly. So, the populations response is AAARGH STUPID UGTO WE HAVE NO FOOD! And they start to rebel, which is increased by the fact there is enemy presence around the planet. It doesnt really make sense that a planet under attack would rebel, it would more likely boost morale and bond them together with the defenders.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-22 19:30   
Quote:

On 2010-06-22 16:32, Sixkiller wrote:
I like it, but i see one problem.
Say UGTO is defending a planet, and here i come along in my clavate, and i blow up the food supply and a research building, so they cant build a new one quickly. So, the populations response is AAARGH STUPID UGTO WE HAVE NO FOOD! And they start to rebel, which is increased by the fact there is enemy presence around the planet. It doesnt really make sense that a planet under attack would rebel, it would more likely boost morale and bond them together with the defenders.

Maybe a boost in morale and morale decreases as food is not given?
In a war you are right, they will bond with the defenders, but if the problem (no food) is not fixed quickly, the planet probably will start to lose faith.

Page created in 0.021561 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR