No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Planet defenses
 Author Planet defenses
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-10 14:46   
Personally I find it amusing that many players throw a fit if the "2x previous ship size should be required to touch the next size up" rule is threatened in any way, yet most don't complain that a single Transport can conquer an entire planet, even the smallest of which is several times larger than a Station in size.

Also the constant tactic of moving a Station right up against a planet so it's armor ring is almost touching so other ships can use it as a shield. It's a PLANET, if it has any defenses at all it should be able to blow a Station apart if it gets that close.

But instead of just saying how useless planet defenses are I'll offer some suggestions on new layouts.

Note I'll be including missiles from the upcoming updates, the stats for them were posted.....somewhere, but I can't find the thread. Also note that I don't have access to any templates (if there even are any for planetary structures) so I've no way of knowing if these designs are even feasible or not but I tried to keep them relatively even at 6 weapons per base. Are they balanced? No idea, I'll let the staff decide.

Mk1 bases carry Cruiser scale weapons, Mk2 bases carry Dreadnought scale weapons.

Offense bases: Why do offense bases have beams? From their description it looks more like they're best suited for longer range attacks to keep enemy ships from getting close enough for beams to be able to hit them.

K'luth equivalent missiles for their bases.

Mk1 - 2x heavy cannons, 2x AR missiles, 2x Phoenix missiles.

Mk2 - 2x heavy cannons, 2x AR missiles, 2x Harpex missiles.

Defense bases: May just be my personal opinion, but beams/cannons seem more in line with a hybrid base than beams/missiles.

Mk1 - 3x beams, 3x heavy cannons.

Mk2 - 2x beams, 2x heavy beams, 2x heavy cannons.

Point Defense bases: More beams means better chance of stopping bombs/fighters/drop pods, and makes them much more deadly to Transports, and to ECM bombers that get careless and stray into visual detection range.

Mk1 - 6x beams.

Mk2 - 3x beams, 3x heavy beams.

Kaoschan
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-07-11 04:24   
Quote:

Offense bases:

Mk1 - 2x heavy cannons, 2x AR missiles, 2x Phoenix missiles.

Mk2 - 2x heavy cannons, 2x AR missiles, 2x Harpex missiles.

Defense bases:

Mk1 - 3x beams, 3x heavy cannons.

Mk2 - 2x beams, 2x heavy beams, 2x heavy cannons.

Point Defense bases:

Mk1 - 6x beams.

Mk2 - 3x beams, 3x heavy beams.

I think the Offense Bases are heavily outgunned. Fact is missiles from Bases can be esiliy doged, therfor lowering the possible Damage per Second by a great deal.

My Idea:

Increase Device level of Bases by about 20-50% (round up to full number) and do give them these weapons.

OFF Mk I
- 2x Heavy cannons, 2x Heavy Beams, 1 Torpedo

OFF Mk II
- 3x Heavy cannons, 3x Heavy Beams, 2 Torpedos OR 1x Core Weapon (perhaps range scaled down version with ~1.2k range)

DEF Mk I
- 2x Cannons, 2x Beams

DEF Mk II
- 2x Cannons, 2x Beams, 1x Heavy Cannon, 1x Heavy Beam

PD Mk I
- 3x Beams, 1x Heavy Beam

PD Mk II
- 4x Beams, 2x Heavy Beams

my Idea

K'luth Hunter - Recon ~Ping~ Scout - ECCM for the Team, to beat the K'luth!

Goto the website of Kaoschan
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-11 16:14   
I have to agree that Defense bases are not balanced.
But the problem is how do you balance them, especially when the amount of defenses bases on a planet varies. This can create a over defended planet to a under defended planet. and with the three different defense bases we got, it really has become so broad that balance no longer is up to just putting more of less weapons on the basses.

second i don't know how fast we can change over to the new planet suggestion and what we want to do with planet defenses. remove missiles completely, or allowing them some missiles and with the new missiles coming do they get there own or T1,2,3 missiles?
2 LDMs on a mixed defense base and 3 on a offense would wreak havoc on anything.

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-07-11 19:34   
Instead of all the guns being on the planet, how about each base builds satellites in a predefined arc/grid above the base? Little platforms, basically. Some weaponry could still be based on the surface but only the kind that don't pay much attention to gravity and/or atmosphere. I know it's a game first and science second, but still.

Email Antra
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-13 13:05   
Quote:

On 2010-07-11 04:24, Kaoschan wrote:

I think the Offense Bases are heavily outgunned. Fact is missiles from Bases can be esiliy doged, therfor lowering the possible Damage per Second by a great deal.

My Idea:

Increase Device level of Bases by about 20-50% (round up to full number) and do give them these weapons.

OFF Mk I
- 2x Heavy cannons, 2x Heavy Beams, 1 Torpedo

OFF Mk II
- 3x Heavy cannons, 3x Heavy Beams, 2 Torpedos OR 1x Core Weapon (perhaps range scaled down version with ~1.2k range)

DEF Mk I
- 2x Cannons, 2x Beams

DEF Mk II
- 2x Cannons, 2x Beams, 1x Heavy Cannon, 1x Heavy Beam

PD Mk I
- 3x Beams, 1x Heavy Beam

PD Mk II
- 4x Beams, 2x Heavy Beams

my Idea

Missiles are useless on planets right now because each base that has them only fires 2 at a time, and even still some of them usually get through, with 4 missiles per offense base that's going to be A LOT of missiles flying around, way too many to PD all of them unless it's an organized fleet with dedicated picket ships.

Quote:

On 2010-07-11 19:34, Antra wrote:
Instead of all the guns being on the planet, how about each base builds satellites in a predefined arc/grid above the base? Little platforms, basically. Some weaponry could still be based on the surface but only the kind that don't pay much attention to gravity and/or atmosphere. I know it's a game first and science second, but still.

They'd be easy targets for ship based weapons, and if you can shut down a significant part of a planet's defenses without even needing to get into bombing range it kinda defeats the purpose.

Page created in 0.012172 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR