No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » electronic warfare rework
 Author electronic warfare rework
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-07-18 21:56   
each device should either have this is a possible setting, available in the lower right-hand targetting window when selected, or have several different options to be modified with at a planet.

cloak

class 1: standard: allows the vessel to cloak, bringing the sig to 0. ECCM can ping. cloak will compensate. cloak time is longer the more ECCM is around.

class 2: ambush: drops the ships sig to -50 (or something similarly very low). cloak does not compensate for ECCM affects on signature, but cloak time is not affected. ship can fire immediately without having to decloak, however, this action, or any movement, will cause the cloak to immediately fail. beacons have no effect.

class 3: defensive: drops ships signature by -100 for 90 seconds. deploys instantly, but must recharge between uses.

beacons:

class 1: tracker: leaves a visible trail behind it for a brief period of time

class 2: broadcast: raises the target vessels sig by X amount, temporarily revealing it.

class 3: disruption: locks the targets ship signature for a brief period of time

ECCM:

class 1: sustained: functions as it does now, a spike in signature that then sustains over time.

class 2: saturation: disperses sensor-reflective flak that slowly builds up on an enemy's hull, making their signature rise. compensating cloaks will not be revealed, but will have to progressively work harder, causing energy drain. this ECCM does not stack.

ECM:

class 1: sustained: lowers signature, decreases cloak time.

class 2: scrubber: disrupts saturation ECCM by 50%, does not stack.

Scanner:

class 1: targetting: allows farther line of sight. when paired with ECCM, extends ECCM ping but reduces effectiveness of ping by 50% for each scanner active

class 2: focused band: does not extend line of sight, but when paired with ECCM applies the ECCM's full effect to a band about 500gu wide, 500gu away.

AHR and repair drones:

repair drones destroy beacons
AHR can be set to scrub a hull of beacons the same way ICC can change shield settings (reduces beacon lifetime, increases energy drain).

Missiles:

make missiles track all targets with a signature of -50 or above regardless of cloak status.

feedback? changes? other ideas?
[ This Message was edited by: Lark of Serenity on 2010-07-18 22:01 ]

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2010-07-19 04:03   
intresting.

nuff said
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-19 09:04   
Not 100% sure, but I recall reading that after (or during) the ship layout redesign, electronic warfare will be looked at. What is planned or will be changed I don’t know.

Regarding your electronic warfare changes, with all the differences devices tiers/classes you list, I fear it will make the game only more complex and harder.

At the moment I prefer to see tweaks or enhancements done to the current system, instead a big makeover in devices choices or toggle options.
However, there are a few ideas that work well on the current system as tweaks
Quote:

On 2010-07-18 21:56, Lark of Serenity wrote:
beacons:

class 1: tracker: leaves a visible trail behind it for a brief period of time

Beacons leaving a trail (like an engine trail, but more visible) would be a nice add-on to it. Paired with the current tell tale pulsing rings, it will also become more visible who got tagged by a beacon, especially if multiple beacons are attached to the hull (multiple beacon trails). The beacon pulse rings aren’t very noticeable alone unless at close range, most people don’t wish to be at that range.

Don’t know if the beacon rings remain visible when someone fully cloaks with beacons attached to his hull. But I don’t believe this to be the case or at least I never noticed them.

Quote:

On 2010-07-18 21:56, Lark of Serenity wrote:
AHR and repair drones:

Repair drones destroy beacons
AHR can be set to scrub a hull of beacons the same way ICC can change shield settings (reduces beacon lifetime, increases energy drain).

AHR removing beacons is to powerful. All factions have supply ships and access to repair drones. I expect K’Luth to be the only faction to be making very little use of them or not at all when compared to the other two factions, because of AHR and cloaking. Leave scrubbing of beacons to repair drones alone, it might make the supply ship for k’luth more valuable than it is now to them.

[ This Message was edited by: Wild Cat on 2010-07-19 09:04 ]

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-19 15:27   
Interesting stuff there Lark, i wouldn't mind all of that inplemented. Would make EW alot more interesting.

/edit typo.
[ This Message was edited by: Jar Jar Binks on 2010-07-19 15:27 ]

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-07-19 17:51   
i made it more complex purposefully. the thing is that if you make it a clearcut "X leads to Y, which can be countered with Z," theres no real tactics or thinking involved. So kluth cloak, everyone pings and launches beacons, kluth either attack despite the risk or run away (mind you, there are things they can do to counter beacons and ECCM, they just seemingly choose not to for some reason).

but its supposed to be electronic WARFARE, not electronic everyone-turn-on-your-device. with a more diverse set-up you add a whole other layer to the game, with people making tactical choices on what system to field.

on the human side you can ping for close-in fighting, saturate to create a war of attrition that forces the enemy to act, or scan to try and get longer range hits.

on the kluth side you can cloak and position yourself to attack, lie in wait to ambush, or jump directly in to the fight, attack, and then make your escape.

i think it would be interesting to see factions fielding electronic warfare ships with pilots who have become specifically adept at using them just as much as they field assault dreadnaughts with experienced pilots. i dont think EW can afford to be a tack-on to the game when its a central component of one of the factions, and this might be why its been so hard to balance it.

Edit:

in any case, yeah the red rings on beacons are sort of useless. a very visible flowing tail would be much better. you used to be able to see the damage graphic on a ship through cloak which made it a lot more interesting to hunt kluth. i remember nailing one dread with IC cannons at about 800gu because i could just make out the movement of the little blue sparks coming from his engine.

as for AHR, i was debating making it either counter the saturation ECCM or beacons. I never said how much it would reduce beacon lifespan tho, nor how much beacons would last in this system =P I think beacons should move slower but be a much more serious threat when they hit.
[ This Message was edited by: Lark of Serenity on 2010-07-19 17:56 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-19 21:08   
I would like a setting on my ship that lets it run "silently". This has the effect of boosting current ECM alot as well as lowering the ships normal signature by a big percentage. The drawbacks would be something along the lines of reduced shield/hull strength, much slower energy recharge, gadgets taking longer to recharge, and reduced top speed.

There would be a delay between when its activated and it reaches full strength.

There are some ships (minelayers, supplies, etc,) that work well under this setting, as well as good for larger ships on stealth missions.

I think stealth should be a viable choice for all factions. I think the biggest help would be that the moment you hit -1.0 signature, your ship is invisible physically just like K'luth and you can't be targeted. The difference between cloak and this system is that after you get under a certain range, the ship become physically visible and that at an even closer range you can target them. It would be something like:

Visible at:

Stations : 1k

Dreads : 500

Cruisers : 200

Destroyers : 100

Frigates : 50

And scouts would need a positive signature or basically be right on top of them.

The idea is to bring electronic warfare back into the game as a viable strategy, such as a pack of smaller ships led by ECM cover could much more safely assault a larger pack of ships. The biggest drawback to attaining negative signature is that you can still be manual targeted and you can't attack from vulnerable positions because they can see your movement.

It also works in planetary assaults (you shouldn't be detected by a planet unless you have positive signature) and with bombing, etc.

There should be counters of course, like ECCM (which covers a bigger area), or beacons. I think beacons should be able to be manual detonated in a location so that it provides a short, but strong and sustained ECCM burst in a location.

Anyways, thats my thoughts.

-Ent

Page created in 0.018342 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR