No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » How to balance the MV: Mercenaries
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author How to balance the MV: Mercenaries
Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 14:32   
Quote:

On 2010-07-27 20:54, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Question:

Wouldn't it simpler to subject unfleeted players to the same team balancing mechanism used on the Scen servers?

Meaning: If you're fleeted, you go to your faction.

Unfleeted? Then you can join only those factions which are not "full" (in other words.... not outnumbering the other 2)

No, because then i'd have to repurchase 8 ships worth of blue enhancements everytime the last team i was on is full...

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 14:34   
Quote:

On 2010-07-28 08:05, nicklane1 wrote:
If i could use pirate ships, id LOVE it. the rogens flagship would be my choice, but maybe 50 creds per hour because of how weak pirate ships are, because not many really need the pres bonus, only a few newer players

lolwhat?

50 creds an hour payment for using pirate ships?

HELOOOOOO AFK LEECH!!!

stupid, STUPID idea.

did i mention it was a stupid idea?

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 14:39   
Quote:

On 2010-07-28 08:53, NoBoDx wrote:
afaik the balance-script check the rank of players in scen so basically if 2 marshals are on one team, its locked, until (one) other team have enough ranked players on their side ( maybe 5 or more low-ranks)

yep, which makes for some really unbalanced (up to the point of being really idiotic) balancing.

2 marshals vs 5 - 10 lowbies = lowbies win because they tranny rush, or have more ppl that can build planets or harass the enemy engineerers etc etc etc etc.

because 2 marshals are still just 2 ppl, no matter how much pres they have.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-28 16:14   
It's true, but I won a scenario map by myself once just by engineering while ordering AI around. Granted there weren't many enemy players either, but still more than just me all by my lonesone.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-07-28 16:30   
This is not a new suggestion. Nor is it a BAD suggestion.

The MV has been LONG in need of a way to balance people jumping to the winning faction, or planning in advance to join one faction or another in order to swarm another faction out of a system or server (without having to join a fleet).

Is this right? Not really. Is this fair? Sure, to the people hopping on the winning side - it's always fair when you're winning. Does it fall in line with the "sportsmanship" and "no griefing" clauses of the RoC? Not in the least bit.

My thoughts on the matter are this.

So you don't want to be tied to a fleet because you're anti-establishment or anti-social or anti-matter - whatever you are... you want to be fleetless. However, you are fairly fond of your particular faction - be it ICC, K'Luth, or UGTO, so any sort of Scenario style "Balancing" ruins your whole methodology of playing. Why should you suffer because other people want to abuse and take advantage of a broken system? Answer: You shouldn't.

Alternative? An option in a player's profile to choose their home faction in the MV - similar to a Fleet's. Give this one maybe a 48 hour cooldown or something more reasonable than a week - or maybe not, maybe keep it at a week. After all, if the idea is to encourage factional loyalty rather than opportunism, you should have no problem sticking to K'Luth for a week at a time - you just don't like the idea of fleets.

And if you want to be non-aligned, you are entered into the points-pool ala Scenario style. All non-aligned unfleeted players who enter the MV have to go to the faction with the fewest players.

This way, everyone gets what they want - except faction hoppers who jump around in order to take advantage of a situation. Also helps deter sabotage and spying, because you're still going to be stuck on that weakest side unless a bunch of more people login to it, or a bunch log out of the others.

Everyone wins, except the exploiters - and anyone with half a brain cell knows to tell them to frak off.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 16:35   
I'm no big fan of being "forced" to play a certain faction, when scenario is full and I'm not allowed to join the faction I want, then I often don't play at all and try again later.

I believe a possible solution might lie with in the AI.

I recall reading that AI (I presume combat ships) are replaced/taken out of the game as more players join.

Some thing similar might already be the case in MV I don't know, if a team is out numbered ten to one in player count, limiting the amount of AI and there combat capabilities on one side and increasing the number of AI and there combat capabilities on the other might restore some of the balance.

AI might not be the best, but when you are able to order around more AI to join the front, it will make at least a bit of a difference instead facing a big fleet on your own.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 16:39   
@ coeus
good idea
loyal unfleeted members get what they want
with a short-ish cooldown fo faction switching bored people who want to play all factions for fun get what they want
explioters are hurt badly

4ert
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 19:54   
The idea of balancing using playable pirate ships sounds great. And you don't need any mercenaries concept - there are already pirates out there.
A simple math should do the job motivating people to play these against the winning faction.
For example if some faction owns X% of MV pirates might get like 2X% multiplier to pr. This way attacking a winning faction is up to twice as profitable.
Playing pirates shouldn't be easy - there are enough highly ranked players that seek some challenge. Maybe even make them require like 2 ranks higher than normal faction ships, with first dread appearing for FA so that people don't play pirates from the very beginning.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.012609 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR