No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » New Ship Layouts
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author New Ship Layouts
Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 09:19   
- Rework of all ship layouts:
Cruisers, Dreadnoughts, Stations, and support craft.

Kewl...

So are they gonna be MORE epic or Less Epic?

-Mint

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-07-28 11:44   
According to my notes:

- K'luth with have 64 cloaking devices on all of their ships.

- ICC will have all of their weapons replaced with Whine Missiles and QQshields.

- UGTO will be equipped with devhax.

---

On a more serious note, I suspect everything will have more weapons in general, and missiles will be adjusted to be all-arc. Also, new missiles.

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 11:46   
w00t 64 Cloaking Devices!

Oh god no QQShields.... D:

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-28 12:16   
One of my underlying goals when designing ship layouts is to ensure that each ship is Awesome at performing its specific task.

So, yes, More Epic.

Email Jim Starluck
nicklane1
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 13:06   
NOOOOO!!! The epic Whine missiles and QQ sheilds!!!!!!!!

Email nicklane1   Goto the website of nicklane1
Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-07-28 13:06   
Quote:

On 2010-07-28 11:44, Gejaheline wrote:
- ICC will have all of their weapons replaced with Whine Missiles and QQshields.

Is this like a script that automatically /yells complaints every time an ICC ship shoots or gets hit?

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-28 13:14   
Quote:

On 2010-07-28 12:16, Jim Starluck wrote:
One of my underlying goals when designing ship layouts is to ensure that each ship is Awesome at performing its specific task.

So, yes, More Epic.

Nice, but what are the tasks? I don't mean "a missile destroyer fires missiles, a torpedo cruiser fires torpedoes" I mean what are the tasks assigned to each hull type?

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 13:24   
Quote:

On 2010-07-28 13:14, MrSparkle wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-28 12:16, Jim Starluck wrote:

So, yes, More Epic.

Nice, but what are the tasks? I don't mean "a missile destroyer fires missiles, a torpedo cruiser fires torpedoes" I mean what are the tasks assigned to each hull type?

don't over complicate it....

he means each ship layout will be kick ass at it's role e.g EAD will probably be more elite or the MDs will have even more missiles or the siphon will have more elf beams things like that

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-07-28 16:39   
Quote:

On 2010-07-28 13:06, Sops wrote:

Is this like a script that automatically /yells complaints every time an ICC ship shoots or gets hit?

Actually, it's the opposite. The ship's weapons and shields will only activate when the pilot uses /yell to complain, and their power is directly proportional to the QQ coefficient of the /yelling.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-28 17:11   
Quote:

On 2010-07-28 13:24, obsidian shadow wrote:
don't over complicate it....

he means each ship layout will be kick ass at it's role e.g EAD will probably be more elite or the MDs will have even more missiles or the siphon will have more elf beams things like that

Not having it complicated is one of the problems. Every hull type has the same tasks as other hull types, just that as you gain rank you get better at it. Missile dread is better than missile cruiser is better than missile destroyer; battle dread is better than battle cruiser is better than battle destroyer. Etc. etc.

Redoing ship layouts is the perfect opportunity to redo ship balance and bring real tactics to DS.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2010-07-28 19:30 ]

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 17:30   
ok let's say
MC vs MD hmmmm
MD has more missile slots on it
MC is faster so it can get out of the way
MD is a slow lumbering beast of a ship
MC doesn't have as many missile slots
MD has more armour
MC has less armour....

you see what i'm getting at..... each ship class (e.g dread cruiser frigate) does fulfill it's own role dreadnaughts are large cumbersome warships with a large amount of armour and fire power but cruisers are faster but don't have as much firepower or armour but when used correctly they can take down their dread counterparts.... DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME NOW!!!

corvettes..... scouting or mass torpedo attacks on all types
frigates.....light attack vessels to be used against other frigates, scouts and dessies
destroyers..... effective for running strikes on cruisers and other dessies
cruisers....... medium firepower useful for fighting dreads other cruisers
dreads..... heavy firepower for dealing with other dreads cruisers or stations
stations.... lot's of firepower useful for fighting other stations or when deployed en masse against dreads

these are the combat roles of each ship class you should know the capability of each class so the size armour and speed define the role of a ship... now maybe is you used your brains a bit you'd figure it out heres a hint though

EAD = heavy firepower

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-28 19:29   
Someone from 2010 telling someone from 2001 that they don't know the ships in DS? Jim has been around since beta or right after beta(don't remember when beta ended) and so have I. I trust what he's doing.

I don't want to get off topic any more.

I am very happy ship layouts are being redesigned. I'm happy with what I see in the new ships compared to what they used to be. I don't want to turn this thread into criticism, I just want to point out that redesigning layouts is the perfect opportunity to take things in new (and in my and others' opinions better) directions. A lot of us who have been around a long time see the limitations of the current ship system and how it favors larger ships so much, and rather than go back to the older system where smaller ships are favored (which is equally no good) we would like a system where each hull type - or ship size if you prefer - performs a specialized task that other ships either cannot do at all or can only do poorly. Having each ship size have the same tasks, like missile ships being present in frigates, destroyers, cruisers and dreads, defeats that vision.

I hope you understand what I mean. I have a thread in Beta about it.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2010-07-28 19:32 ]

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-28 20:18   
actually dessie can be a very big threat to dreads in the right hands, stations too

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-28 20:24   
Sparkle: I've basically been operating on a principle of Rock/Paper/Scissors.

The standard "combat" ships--Combat Destroyer, Heavy Cruiser, Battle Dread, etc.--are designed with the intention of killing ships one size smaller than them more easily than those ships can kill them back. So Frigates kill Corvettes, Destroyers kill Frigates, Cruisers kill Destroyers, Dreadnoughts kill Cruisers.

The Assault variants are designed with the intention of killing ships of the same size at close range, where superior firepower lets them get the edge on their target. So Assault Frigates kill other Frigates, Assault Destroyers kill other Destroyers, Assault Cruisers kill other Cruisers, and Assault Dreadnoughts kill other Dreadnoughts.

Finally, the Missile variants are designed with the intention of killing ships much bigger than they are from far away, beyond the range of the target to retaliate effectively. Particularly Cruisers, Dreads and Stations (though they may not be perfect; there's only so much we can do with missile accuracy before we start running into hard-coded limits in the game engine).

On top of all that, Scouts and Frigates are generally better at electronic warfare than everything bigger than them. Destroyers tend to go for more weapons rather than secondary capabilities like EW. Not completely sure about Cruisers on up yet, but the odds of seeing a Dread with as many EW slots as a Scout are minimal at best.

Email Jim Starluck
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-28 20:36   
When it comes to smaller ships the battle variants tend to do better vs same size ships than the assault variants due to longer range cannons, better firing arcs, ease of dodging torpedoes and being able to stay out of the front arc of assault ships.

Assault variants tend to do better vs larger ships that cannot dodge them as easily.

That's been my experience. I never use assault destroyers vs enemy destroyers or frigates, I'd rather use them vs cruisers or dreads (if I have to use a destroyer vs a dread that is)

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2010-07-28 20:48 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022862 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR