No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » New Ship Models?
 Author New Ship Models?
Narfang
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 00:21   
After partaking in part of a discussion tonight, I want to suggest an idea to the community.

With the arrival of some of the new models that have been created by members of the community, I think that some of the re-used models can be replaced with newer ones. A little variety in the models, like having a different model for assault-type cruisers/destroyers and bomber/support-type cruisers and destroyers.

There is some RP basis for changing up some of the models too. The game has been out for several years now, and even if the game were supposed to be in 1:1 time scale, it has been a while since the war has started for us. Factions WOULD have started to design new ships and make significant changes to old ones.

For example by now a lot of the "re-purposed civilian ships" of the ICC would have been replaced by more purpose built ships. Granted there has already been some model replacement to that end, but there are other changes still.

UGTO would have moved away from strictly projectiles and more towards large-scale use of EMP weapons to counter ICC shields and to wreak havoc on the Organic nature of shields (high power energy hits will hurt organic material just fine)

Kluth would have started to grow harder-shelled ships in response to the particle weapons of the humans, and likely other changes that I cannot think of.

I am only suggesting changes for destroyer and larger though. Part of the discussion we had was that corvettes are basically large fighters and frigates are supposed to be cheap and numerous. A multi-purpose hull IS what would be designed, and they would tend to be blocky and cheap for the ICC, slightly elegant and aesthetic for the UGTO, and small and nimble for the Kluth. Though having said that if a pretty model for a new frigate design pops up I would not mind seeing some changes.

The point is that while the community is creating content, we might as well make use of it and start replacing some of the older things with new. I am NOT suggesting a radical change, just dropping in new models and descriptions.

What are the community's thoughts on this? I cannot start a poll which would make it a lot easier to get the feel of things, but a discussion thread can do the same.

edit: Due to some of the early posts I want to clarify what I am talking about for new readers. When I say "Model" I mean the physical image of the ships in game. I think that with all of the content provided by the community that making the game seem a little more fresh with more than the half-dozen models that a faction has would not actually be all that hard.

However if the thread wants to also talk about the idea of refreshing the ship types for a faction, the thread can also include that.
[ This Message was edited by: Narfang on 2010-08-01 00:25 ]
[ This Message was edited by: Narfang on 2010-08-01 01:59 ]

Goto the website of Narfang
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 00:29   
why not making new ships instead of replacing old models?

PS. Dont want any models to go "extinct"
as in all models of it are replaced, exception is ugto extractor.....

Vice Admiral Onassi
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 00:29   
Ive thought this many times without getting around to starting a thread, i wholly approve of this idea. Although it all boils down to whether the staff likes it.

Capt.Nut
Vice Admiral
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-08-01 00:46   
Well it an idea worth doing. But I would rather like to see some heavily armed frigs and destroyers. The dreds dont quite are the kings of space and I am rather annoyed of that fact. Should be atleast a destroyer that can at least damage it saverly before buring in a blaze of glory. I hope this at least sounds good. tell me if ya agree

There three ways to go retreat, blaze of glory or self destruct
Me I choses blaze of glory
mott: If people can not rely on friends and fleet members all is loss.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 01:16   
actually dessie are good in capable hands

Capt.Nut
Vice Admiral
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-08-01 01:49   
Quote:

On 2010-08-01 01:16, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
actually dessie are good in capable hands

agrred

just I ant so capalble in reaction time so for me a more heavilly armed or defended ship will equal the playing field. Tho thats my oppion. Ya got to include some handy caooed players appion.

Narfang
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 01:56   
Well I was not meaning this to be a thread about balance, but if it is an avenue that the community wants to discuss, we can go ahead and add new ship types to the ideas included in this thread.

When I said "Model" I meant the physical image of ships in the game, not the type of ship. However as I said if that is a direction this thread would like to go in that works too.

Capt.Nut
Vice Admiral
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-08-01 02:03   
sorry
just the name got me thinking and I was hopping maybe it might be the startting ouint for a modle. I find throwwing around ideas works. I hope it ok and if some one wants ideas I gladdly try to help.

What would be more bennifical? and world a ruff image of one of my ships be ok? Just wondering never modled before.
[ This Message was edited by: Capt.Nut on 2010-08-01 02:08 ]

MaGoo
Fleet Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-08-01 02:14   
Good ideas (gives a thumbs up)

Capt.Nut
Vice Admiral
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-08-01 02:31   
ok here gos nothing.

now keep in mind that this desighn is based of a multitude of sci fi /space sims.

My first desighn is on a light to medium frgit body. it equiped with 10 lite cannons( cause or laser) 4 on the rear( for the lack of the term) 2 on the command tower 3 on the forwerd hul and 1 smack dab in the niddle.
2 thrusters
and 6 missle tubes linning either side of the command tower(right and left)
2 shield genes(provide all around coverge)
and a ftl
and thats my igur on a lite frgit.
it ruffly 150 meters long by 100 wide
tell me if this would be a good idea for a friget?
and if this is any where near helpful to you desighners

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 04:23   
well what if we replaced MOST of the old models and NOT ALL of them like say with the UGTO that command dread could do with a change like on some of light of aurora's designs and the EAD the BD could remain as it is but change up things a bit but still keep the older models

we have enough ships but plenty of models i would love to see LOAs assault corvette

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-01 05:30   
There will be no new ships. You may find that Cruisers, Dreadnoughts and Stations get a new purpose after Jim tweaks them, but there will be no new ships.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 06:03   
To clarify, we will have new layouts for ships - eg, more torps on the assault cruiser.

We may have new roles for ships - eg, a minelayer cruiser.*

We will not have new classes of ships - eg, a ship between cruiser and dreadnought, whatever you might call it.

We will have new models for existing ship roles within a class. Just like the ICC have two models for destroyers - the minelayer and the combat dessies show the two models - we will be replacing the models for certain roles within a class. For example, we could develop a new destroyer model for the assault dessie, but neither its class, role, or layout would change.

I think that's what the OP was basically suggesting, but I could be wrong. And sorry if the terminology is confusing.

* caveat: there are no current plans for any additional roles, but we're not averse to adding them in principle, hence the may. Don't read anything into this.
[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2010-08-01 06:06 ]

Email Shigernafy
Narfang
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 07:29   
yea you got it, I was just suggesting some basic graphical changes.

Basically I was just suggesting some different hulls for the ships so that one could actually look at a ship and know what it was. That does not mean replace all of the ships with knew models, but I think at this point you could justify:

A: An RP basis for changing the graphic representations of the ships (models)
B: Development time to tweak and refine mistakes in the original models (ONLY if you want to)

This ultimately was just a fanciful idea on my part, because sometimes I sigh at the same ship model used for six very different ships and roles. I am glad that the devs responded to this thread too. It shows to me that they are reading the forums ^_^

Page created in 0.023356 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR