No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +19.1 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Wormhole Device Revamp
 Author Wormhole Device Revamp
Red October
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 10:49   
Wormhole Device Effects

Starting off, the wormhole will be more of a rip in the space time and continuum that allows for ships to travel from once point in space to another. These wormholes will appear as a tear or hole in space that is formed from high amounts of energy being concentrated on a single point. When Wormhole appears, it has characteristics of a hole with dark blue gassy substance swirling while the center of it fades away, giving an effect of hole in space.

Entering and Exiting Wormhole

Wormhole acts like an instant portal to another place in space. This type of transport puts ships in two places at once. This effect is basically bending space and time continuum to where you traverse the vast distance of space like you are stepping past a wall.

Depending on how big and fast the ship enters the worm hole; this will determine how quickly the ship traverses through the wormhole. A smaller ship that is not much bigger then a scout who travels at a average 30 – 40 GU will be able to enter and exits wormhole at a much fast rate then a Station who averages 5 GU and is much larger than any other ship.

The wormhole will only be able to transport a ship that is the same size and volume of the ship that spawned it. If a cruiser spawns a wormhole, then only ships cruiser or below will be able to travel through it. Only one cruiser will be able to travel through wormhole at a time while two ships half its size and volume will be able to travel through it at the same time. If more than one person travels through wormhole, it will collapse prematurely.

Wormhole Stability

How long the wormhole stays opens depends on how much energy and distance between two points when it is created. This applies to all ships that use Wormhole devices. If a Frigate who generates less energy tries to travel large vast distance, the wormhole will collapse as soon as it made. While a Station who is traveling the same distance is able to create a far greater stable wormhole due to large amount of energy that can be generated. This also leads to how much energy is drained from the generators depending on the distance between two points.

Targeting Ships in Wormholes

To protect those that are just exiting wormhole, they will not be able to be targeted until they fully exit the Wormhole. Reason for this, is because the Wormhole disrupts signature reading and creates a unique effect I like to call “Signature Absorb.” As a ship travels through a wormhole, all signatures given off by the ship is absorbed by it. This also mess with the sensors of the ship that is traveling through the wormhole, allowing them not to target any ship as they come out of the wormhole.

Email Red October
Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-08-01 12:06   
that effect pic reminds me of Star Gate.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-01 12:57   
So basically nerf wormholes even further to the point of them being unusable through a set of arbitrary and complicated rules nobody will understand in-game? The only way I see this ever working is if wormholes get perfect accuracy in return.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-01 13:13   
the whole point of wormholes is to get a whole fleet to an other place through a dictor or to save jd, usually done by everyone going in at once
if we had to go 1 at a time, we will be picked off the moment we exit, and also this makes it so wh escape is basically impossible

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-01 18:54   
I don't care about any of those rules, I just want that effect.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-08-01 19:09   
this has been broght up before and the anser was:
"that would take ages to program"
and its true it would.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-02 02:36   
Quote:

On 2010-08-01 19:09, Grand Admiral CRAZY45 *XO* wrote:
this has been broght up before and the anser was:
"that would take ages to program"
and its true it would.

Thats what happens when you need to code a wormhole for each ship you injected into the game before you code the "objects".

Page created in 0.013044 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR