No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +21.3 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Aux Shield Generator Reworking
 Author Aux Shield Generator Reworking
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-06 06:17   
I got this idea while reading this thread: http://beta.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=49541&forum=36

Ok, I'll admit that they provide some protection, but lets face it, these things are virtually useless.. I propose an alternate solution to their uselessness:

Reworking the device - Currently an aux shield generator provides some protection from impact while active, and draws power from the ship's energy bank. While inactive the shield provides a small buffer of energy that can be transfered into online shield generators. I suggest a new modes for these specific shields:

Buffer Mode - will drain energy from the ship to constantly maintain a shield buffer to provide other shields with energy, however will provide no protection from impact it's self. (This mode would be a hybrid of the current Active and Offline modes for the Aux Shields.)

Active Mode - drains significantly more energy to provide more than some protection against impact.

Offline Mode - Stops active energy drain from the ship, the remaining energy in the buffer can be transfered to other shields. (This would be identical to the current Offline Mode for Aux Shields.)

I do realize that Aux Shields run on the same code as every other shield, all that is needed is a variable added like: isAuxShield = true;

Then in the same location as the code for defense mode, you use an if statement to determine if defense mode or buffer mode should be activated by testing the isAuxShield variable.

Programming the buffer mode would not be difficult after that..

[ This Message was edited by: Darth Jaybud on 2010-08-06 06:21 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-08-06 10:07   

No, seriously, buffing auxilliary shields does not have a point. It is a decent thing comparable to reactive shields in strength and recharge. They are moderately popular on stations meant to tank damage without using defense mode, and the quick recharge was why they were used significantly even before the defense mode feature.
But now they are used less, since it is tactically wise to go for the auxiliary reactors which let you sustain defense mode another few seconds in combat.

Other than that, we should just wait. The defense mode feature took a lot of time to be implemented in beta. Low chance that they can go for increasing utility of aux shields before the new layouts...
[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Michael Paradox on 2010-08-06 10:10 ]

Page created in 0.006815 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR