No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +4.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - almand

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » AI behaviour suggestion
 Author AI behaviour suggestion
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-08-18 19:20   
combat AI tend to be useless, because 1 or 2 will show up to defend against a small fleet and will get killed.

issue 1: players are better than AI, AI dont dodge fire or anything clever like that, they just run at you and kill you

issue 2: 1 or 2 ships versus small fleet = fail

but there seems to be a lovely way to compensate:

since coding new AI that know how to fly would be difficult i imagine, a simpler solution would be to add "flagship" AI. AI would tend to have their default order as "defend [faction] flagship A" rather than planets or platforms or other AI. then the flagship would tend to have their default order as "defend planet X" or "defend player Y" depending on the context (if other players are under attack, either defensively or offensively, the flagship would tend to defend that player. if a planet in a given system is under attack, the flagship would tend to defend a planet in that system, or the planet in question)

thus, when AI respond to something, its a fleet of AI rather than a couple dumbies. this would hopefully also prevent people from solo-capping entire systems when no one is on. the volume of AI should also help compensate for their dumb-as-nails flying style.

unless they all jump on top of one another, in which case theyre doomed. but still.

also: PLEASE do something about AI engis. the number of times ive logged on to see planets i or someone else had specifically engineered butchered by some AI has become impossible to count.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-18 19:30   
So basically, have all AI following an AI that is called a flagship AI but really is just the same as the current AI cos it works exactly the same?

Ok.

Also, AI can't scrap. So it isn't AI butchering your planets. If you leave them half built, that's your problem.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-08-18 19:31 ]

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-08-18 19:41   
derp, do they? havent really seen it. just small smatterings of AI here and there

can they modify existing structures?

weve logged on to find offense bases turned into d bases, or various other changes made. have had mods look into server logs and find no evidence of sabotage.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-18 19:43   
Nope, as far as I'm aware they can only build a basic planet if there's not much on it. I've never, ever seen them waltz up to a fully built planet and scrap the lot. I don't even think they have the abulity to change a structure...

Only reason current AI don't defend objectives that need defending is if someone has changed their order (and that goes back to default after 15 minutes).

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-18 20:16   
Quote:

On 2010-08-18 19:43, BackSlash wrote:

Only reason current AI don't defend objectives that need defending is if someone has changed their order (and that goes back to default after 15 minutes).

jack sometimes the AI does not even defend whats its set to. Great example nearly all the ICC AI in sag set its self to defend Atlantis yet when any enemy would show up the AI would just sit there and die and not even move or shot

Email *FTL*Soulless
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-18 20:26   
Quote:

On 2010-08-18 20:16, soulless93 wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-18 19:43, BackSlash wrote:

jack sometimes the AI does not even defend whats its set to. Great example nearly all the ICC AI in sag set its self to defend Atlantis yet when any enemy would show up the AI would just sit there and die and not even move or shot

Then the server load is above a certain %, the server won't do anything with the AI so as to give the players as much CPU time as possible.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-08-18 21:51   
How about we have the AI not just smash into planets.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-08-18 22:01   
well, i know for a fact an AI modded the def bases on a planet bard built, shig checked the logs and an AI was the only thing that touched it after bard.

the only other explanation is that planets are doing stuff to themselves

in any case, plenty of planets on ICC are getting redone and no one knows whos doing it =(

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-18 23:34   
All the AI i've fought just fly at me, shoot a few times, then turn tail and let me blow them up. They only fly in 2 directions: towards or away from me. After they've done their run they don't even really do anything else, not even shoot.

The poor mandi AI, which could be devestating, just run at full speed away, not even regening energy, not cloaking. Kluth without cloak are useless.

The scales and parasites do better, but they spend so little time actually shooting that the damage they cause is negligible, but at least they do cloak.

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-19 00:52   
Quote:

On 2010-08-18 22:01, N'kra The Wolf wrote:
well, i know for a fact an AI modded the def bases on a planet bard built, shig checked the logs and an AI was the only thing that touched it after bard.

the only other explanation is that planets are doing stuff to themselves

in any case, plenty of planets on ICC are getting redone and no one knows whos doing it =(

so our AI is sabataging us. Thats harsh

Email *FTL*Soulless
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-19 11:06   
afaik ai only build lvl 1 mines

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-08-19 11:57   
So when all the players log off the AI Engineers have wild parties and rebuild planets in a drunken stupor?

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-08-19 14:39   
Quote:

On 2010-08-19 11:57, Talien wrote:
So when all the players log off the AI Engineers have wild parties and rebuild planets in a drunken stupor?

lol it seems that way

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Page created in 0.025360 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR