Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Do you think all ships are really awesome as it should be?
 Author Do you think all ships are really awesome as it should be?
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-24 08:51   
The question has comesto me after a long time watching the appearing ratio of ships.

As Jim Starluck said, he always makes sure each ship is awesome as it should be. This assertion implies players shall easily recognize the awesomeness of the ship, therefore ship will be aimed at correct timing. However, in real combat, there are some ships are used at higher frequence than the other same class and same type. Let's have a review.

Note: since there are lots of name in game, I would like to call them due to their main role. There are 5 types: bomb, missle, long range combat, assault (close range), other.

Discussion on type
From scout to dread, there are 5 types: bomber, medium range combat, assault, missile, other.

A) [u]Missile[/u]
When new frigates were out, players usually picked missile ships. They found out that was an terrific ship cause they can fire while hide until sparrow is tweaked. Missile fri good facts: it's free, it has the speed, it has enough EW to hide its presence. Despite missile fri is not as strong as missile des or cruiser, players still use it more frequently than the others. Perhaps they think when spamming missiles, the best friend is transparent ability. Besides, missiles has limit armor. Spamming missiles requires a huge amount of armor to surpass PD. But AI supply doesn't come ASAP so player must orbit planet. Once again, missile fri is better than missile des or cruiser in this part thanks for faster JD recharge.
For missile, ICC player will pick fri or dread. I rarely see missile des or cruiser in game. I don't know everyone's reason. As for myself, I only think of fri and dread when spamming missile. I only use UGTO cruiser cause UGTO doesn't have missile dread. And I notice seldom UGTO players keep missile cruiser in their garrage.

- Bomber fri with 4 ECM is quite a nice tool dealing with bomb. I don't know why bomber des has only one EW. Isn't it safe when bombing a planet without being noticed? Unlike bomber fri, bomber des must cloud bomb, which usually interupt by AI or player. As bomber has higher signature, it faces def bases on planet, leading to a complex situation.
Again, with the same analysis as above, only bomber fri and bomber dread are useful. And I believe very rare players have UGTO bomber cruiser in garrage.

B) [u]Medium combat[/u]
- Nowadays, do you see any player take sensor fri in Sagi? Nope, they all switch to combat des. Sensor fri was a great ship until combat des is out. The reason is very clear: combat des is certainly stronger and tougher, since it doesn't require many resource so player can launch fresh one whenever desire. But, will they still spend most of time in combat des when new heavy cruiser is out? The time will answer.

- Unlike combat des, which receives bright glory, shell doesn't flooding Sagi. Why? In my point of view, developer doesn't give it enough. Let's compare:
+ shell can fire 4 HPSI at front, 3 at left or right and none at rear.
+ combat des can fire 3 HR at front, 5 at left or right and 3 at rear.
It won't cause headache to see shell is a bit inferior to combat des. KLuth players always move their ships to behind enemy and counter. Now imagine you're in shell, and your enemy is a combat des, and you apply such strategy. What happen?
+ KLuth torp is slowest among the torp so most of the case it won't hit the target. Manually detonate torp even cause FF.
+ To do maximum damage, shell must put the target at front. Assuming Shell is chasing behind, Shell fires 4 HPSI at Combat des and receive 3 HR. But, Combat des can direct shield, Shell can't, not including KLuth armor is weakest. Hence Shell will get hull down faster, if its 3 torps don't hit.
+ To keep damaging, Shell must fight from left or right side. Railgun is not as strong as PSI but it's faster. Combat des can dodge PSI but shell hardly fend off railgun. 3 PSI loses to 5 Railgun.
+ Shell will fly away with the hope AHR will help. But defense mode is faster.
Looks like hit-n-run faction can't archive anything from Shell. They switch to Mandi, which damage worthes the price of waiting. Or beak, has more PSI, faster.
The lesson from Shell is, it doesn't meet the phylosophy of hit-and-run faction. KLuth has cloak, so whoever plays KLuth won't spend time flying around with Shell, instead they will get Claw, waiting the other players to get hull then decloak and kill.

C) [u]Other[/u]
Assault type is alikely to medium combat so I skip and go to this issue.
- Kluth has mine scout and mine fri. ROFL... Once again, only scarab successes and shines.
I pick UGTO mine fri and see: "Oh WTH does it have ECCM?". I look back the description: it lays mine and clear enemy mines. LMAO. Reminds me of Harrier with 3 ECCM, another stupid default.

- ICC has many cruisers. Some of them are questionable: jump, border, carrier. They're alike, and not professional in every aspect. They're so so...

Discussion on class
Here I'll call out the name of ship I think it's highlight at the class.
For KLuth: scout - talon; fri - profobics, beak; des - drainer, claw; cruiser - scarab, piercer, clavate; dread - siphon, krill; other - UW, HC.
For ICC: fri - bomber, sensor, ; des - combat, minelayer; cruiser - hc, ac, interdictor; all dreads; other: heavy engineer.
For UGTO: fri - interceptor, bomber; des - gunboat, assault; cruiser - interdictor, bc, tc; dread - BD, EAD.
They're frequently used ship in game.

So here is what I want to say from these study-case:
1) Although doing the same role, different class results different outcomes. Some ships accomplish taskes, some stuck.
2) The ships that stuck exist mainly for closing the gap of rank. They're not excellent, just intermediary before you can get the nice one.
3) Players tend to apply the same tactic when doing the task whatever faction they're in. They will choose the ship that fit their habbit, instead of modify the habbit.
4) Since ships cost res, the ships has unclear role shall be forgotten.

Page created in 0.006609 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR