No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Prestige loss for self-destruction
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Prestige loss for self-destruction
Reality Dysfunction
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-20 10:30   
Since I have come back to play darkspace I have noticed a big increase in players using the self destruction in the MV servers. This is mostly due to players getting boarded and the fact they are afraid their ship will be captured.

This has at times become rather frustrating if like me you are trying to achieve Privateering Awards.

What I would like to see is a massive increase in the prestige loss of self destructing a ship, especially stations. Or perhaps have a tiered system for ships. The bigger the ship the more prestige loss.

Subtilizer
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-10-20 10:43   
well if you want to get privteer medal why use players ai is eaiser and requires no coding on part of the dev team.

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-20 18:12   
just fly in proc get it in like a day there

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-10-20 18:22   
they are never going to do that just because you dont like peolpe not letting you cap them your sujestion has no leg to stand on go cap ai

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-10-20 18:28   
Quote:

On 2010-10-20 10:30, Reality Dysfunction wrote:
Since I have come back to play darkspace I have noticed a big increase in players using the self destruction in the MV servers. This is mostly due to players getting boarded and the fact they are afraid their ship will be captured.

This has at times become rather frustrating if like me you are trying to achieve Privateering Awards.

What I would like to see is a massive increase in the prestige loss of self destructing a ship, especially stations. Or perhaps have a tiered system for ships. The bigger the ship the more prestige loss.

why increase tthe pres loss from self destruction. it would only hurt thoughs who do it when there about to die and on top of a enemy.

Email Borgie
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-20 18:43   
If anything was to be done, I'd say it should be increasing the self-destruct countdown.

It always felt like a cheesy move to SD on top of enemies (and I've done it myself, it can be fun), or deny someone a kill even when the KILLS stat doesn't matter. It never really felt like they were in the spirit of what SD was meant for.

I'm thinking a countdown of 20 seconds or however long it takes for infantry to cap a ship might be good. It's long enough that you just can't decide to SD and deny someone a kill when you're close to destruction, but not prohibitively long enough that you can't use it when you need it to, and if you're boarded with no infantry for defense you can still get the SD off if you initiate it quick enough.

I don't know, SD just feels like it doesn't belong. It's used only as an offensive weapon or as a way to deny someone a stat, and if you want to use it offensively like jumping a station to a closely stacked enemy fleet, you don't even need to SD usually, they'll take of your explosion just fine.

I use Wrath Of Khan when I think about self-destruct. I like how the countdown is long, but the explosion is severe. I'd like to see that sort of mechanic in DS, where it's a question of either destroying the enemy before the SD countdown is done, or getting the heck out of there, but not being able to use it yourself when you're down to 20% and just want to say "no kill for you" to your enemy.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-10-21 01:25   

Not just SDing.

Logging to avoid being captured should also be fixed. Should be coded such that, if you're boarded and you log, your ship should immediately be captured. You bailed, you surrendered.

That shd fix the cheap stat-denying escape. Heh heh

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-21 01:37   
so what if they sd when boarded?
if this was age of sail and i got a boarding party on you, you could blow urself up, hurt me, and deny me my prize ship.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-21 02:37   
the only use for boarding enemy players: they either run or sd -> one enemy less shooting at you

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-21 04:11   
Self-destructing to avoid getting capped is a breach of the code of sportsmanship. As getting capped doesn't yield a negative result for you at all, destructing just to deny another prestige is just being a petty jerk.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-10-21 04:46   
Quote:

On 2010-10-21 04:11, Someone Else's Problem wrote:
Self-destructing to avoid getting capped is a breach of the code of sportsmanship. As getting capped doesn't yield a negative result for you at all, destructing just to deny another prestige is just being a petty jerk.

I don't mind people SD-ing to avoid capture. Scorched Earth policy.

Logging to avoid capture is far far cheaper. LOL.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-10-21 05:12   
Quote:

On 2010-10-21 04:11, Someone Else's Problem wrote:
As getting capped doesn't yield a negative result for you at all.

Going by the manual, your statement is countered by the Resources Lost stat increase which the manual says. Believe me, I've been captured occasionally, and lost some prestige (nearly 1000 for me getting captured 2-4 times).

Though, compared to SD, getting captured is actually saving some prestige. Station captured is probably about 300-500 pres loss, Station SD is a little more than 800 pres loss. (Figures rounded, guessed, logicalised and believed.)

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-21 05:15   
I mean, it doesn't harm your durability for upgrades. Sorry, prestige is a worthless stat to me, so I tend to discredit it even though others still value it.

You are right, however. Self-destructing increases Killed, Prestige Lost and Self-Destructs, often without netting you much kamikaze if you did so to avoid getting capped.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-21 10:29   
why cant i train my troops to go for the SD-button instead of trying to kill (Oo) the ressources in the targets cargo-hold ?

-> while enemy troops are onboard, the SD cease to function
(just have this idea: enemytroops could try to SD the ship, while they board it >:->

ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-10-21 15:08   
how about once a player is boarded they cannot SD
like the enemy troops are causing so much system damage that the sd is damaged and no systems can repair until enemy troops are gone

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022065 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR