No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Mini map please.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author Mini map please.
Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 03:54   
Supporters so far 8 including me. critics without logical points against = 4. feeling a bit outnumbered?

Please feel free to continue posting points for and against just try to think them through a bit first rather than being openly critical without a case to back it up.
[ This Message was edited by: Howlingwind on 2010-10-25 03:56 ]

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-10-25 04:06   
Nothing worse than just about to kill a player who swears black and blue he never saw that planet. Uhuh, Yer right!

+1 to this idea

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 04:12   
9 supporters, 4 critics.

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-10-25 04:44   

You don't actually need a mini-map per se.

A small radar overlay that can be turned on and off (think of the F5, F7 player profile and enhancement overlays) will do.

And that radar does not need to show details. Just a bunch of colored dots. Red for enemies, blue for friendlies, and larger blips in red/blue or yellow for planetary/stellar objects.

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 05:26   
Kenny thats EXACTLY what i mean. finally someone gets it. Okay ive been monitoring peoples arguments against the radar as kenny put it on chat and am no going to try and prove these arguements wrong in turn.

the anti-newb argument: Okay i dont get what it is about people not wanting other players to progress. I think people are mistaking newbs (new players) for noobs (those who choose to act like new players). this brings me to my next argument.

The Anti-noob argument: Unfortuantly no matter how easy/hard the game is someone is going to find a way of becoming a noob. Having a mini-map/radar will allow you to spot noobs (and newly uncloaked ku'lth for you ugto/icc players) and give you the chance to make the first strike or at least brace for attack.

The, hey we have the f2 button argument: the other thing people have said is that the little arrows on the side of the screen and the f2 button should suffice. Trust me i have tried the f2 button in combat and almost every time i took heavy damage as a reward. the arrows are also confusing as when you turn the ship they all move and with missles showing up as an arrow it can become confusing.

Another thing i have heard A LOT is that this has been suggested before in which case it indicates that the idea is more popular and more in need than i had first thought. thanks to all of you who have shown support to the cause.

Howlingwind out.

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 05:42   
I just realised that i counted on critic twice 9 supporters 3 critics.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-10-25 07:02   
This sounds good. Just a screen on top right, about as big as the target screen on bottom right, with a map with say all the ships within 2k on it?
It makes sense being able to look at a map and actually see if your getting shot or about to hit something deadly. Nav has been annoying me like forever.

Mint Ice Cream[+R]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 07:03   
okie i am not supporting nor going again this mini-map idea
I think that mini-map gonna be another useless part of the game since it have almost no use
in a battle, u can track your target using follow camera, switching target with E button(that not gonna target missiles right ._.?) and smash space-bar to fire without using that mini-map ._. and I don't think there is anyone who would follow a scout then crash into a planet ... (pro-tip:unless u r using a scout or frigate(which can turn and change speed really really fast) never ever try to kill or follow a scout that outside of your beam range becuz u will never hit it...(unless it is afk))
although it have almost no use to a well-trained player but it is really useful to new players since they never care about anything around them beside their target (i was too ^^) so that gonna help bring some new players to DS

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 07:35   
Supporters 10 citics 3 undecided 1. woo hoo!

ThePile
Vice Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2010-10-25 07:42   
All ordinary space sims that has ever existed has used some kind of radar system / minimap to show positions of enemies relative to your position.

F2 is a tactical map though - used for coordinating attacks and jumpng to different hotspots.

Just saying - saying that F2 is "Good enuff" is wrong.

So - I'm all for the radar/minimap.I probably won't use it much since I've gotten use to wildly looking around me all the time when flying scout - but I think it's a really good option. Atleast then you won't fly into planets as much.

One prolem I can think of right off the bat is that when you're looking around - should the radar rotate accordingly?

That is - should the radar/minimap rotate with the ships direction or with the viewing-cameras direction?

This is my suggestion:

When the minimap is active the game will slice out a part of the tactical map with the player ship centered - it doesn't even have to rotate according to the player ship.

This should be the easiest implementation because they basically just need to center the tactical map on your ship, zoom in so you see your ship and a small area around it, and then render it on a small surface on screen.

You don't even have to be able too zoom or rotate or anything.

This minimap will constantly stay centered on the player ship - so they only need to tell the tactical map to reset to the player ship position by each update.

If they have a good graphic solution this implementation should be a cakewalk.

Alcedo
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-10-25 08:00   
Quote:

On 2010-10-24 19:34, YIIMM wrote:
My opinions on this are fairly neutral, but has there been a genuine reason given as to why it would necessarily be a bad idea?

I'm all for shooting down suggestions that aren't viable but going about it in such a harsh way probably discourages people with good ideas from putting them out there in the first place.

Very true YIIMM, and I think the radarmap would be a very good idea.

Email Alcedo
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-25 08:24   
Quote:

On 2010-10-24 17:52, Doran wrote:
situational awareness is for chumps

Being able to interpret and act on radar is not a replacement for situational awareness. Rather, it is an aid to make situational awareness a more useful skill to have. Thank you sarcasm monkey.

Now I think a mini-nav map would be great to have as a replacement for Number Pad 3 (which currently shows your current target, health, distance, etc. I have an idea to replace that). It would show up to 500gu and you can zoom out an additional 1000gu for every scanner on within 500gu of you. You can view up to a maximum distance of 3.5kgy

All it would show is essentially, a more basic nav map. It would show only ship icons and planets. You can also select the map also to maually target. You could also give orders.

I also think what would be really awesome would be something of a tactical overlay in normal viewing mode. Such as, a grid that gives the player some orientation to his field.

Some may call this making the game easier, and it does make it easier to play. But accessability is what makes games more popular and stay on. It still takes an experienced person to make the most of it, but beginners benefit alot from having a less steep curve.

Now, to replace the current Num3 screen, I think a solid replacement is a reticle. Essentially what happens is when you select your target, its information such as health, shields, etc. would be displayed next to the ship on screen, next to the name. Maybe even some graphical shininess. In addition to Backslash's proposed new planet idea, this concept is also useful in this idea.

-Ent

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 08:38   
supporters 13 critics 3 undecided 1.

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 08:41   
Yeah so the thought is to have a small proabalby circular mini-map/radar showing symbols for ships and planets within 2500 or less gu. To make it yet easier to read you could have a circle line marking every 500 gu from your ship. Thanks for your support.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-10-25 08:57   
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 07:03, Mint Ice Cream[+R] wrote:
okie i am not supporting nor going again this mini-map idea
I think that mini-map gonna be another useless part of the game since it have almost no use
in a battle, u can track your target using follow camera, switching target with E button(that not gonna target missiles right ._.?) and smash space-bar to fire without using that mini-map ._. and I don't think there is anyone who would follow a scout then crash into a planet ... (pro-tip:unless u r using a scout or frigate(which can turn and change speed really really fast) never ever try to kill or follow a scout that outside of your beam range becuz u will never hit it...(unless it is afk))
although it have almost no use to a well-trained player but it is really useful to new players since they never care about anything around them beside their target (i was too ^^) so that gonna help bring some new players to DS

Some of us actually like to know whats happening behind them when they are shooting whats in front of them.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024464 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR