No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Eventually..
 Author Eventually..
Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-04 11:17   
Eventually fighters, missiles and ship setups will be changed/revamped.

While reading the shield generator thread (Suggestion Cloak building) I suddenly remembered the old school defensive structures. Missile, laser and fighter defence bases.

I bring this up with causion because lag is always an issue with darkspace and a planet that craps fighters and missiles at you will not help lag issues if they arise.

If fighters are eventually re-worked would be it possible to re-introduce them? What are your thoughts on making defensive structures use fighters in place of missiles if you want?

I'm sure if the amount of fighters that a planet can launch is limited then the amount of possible lag will be reduced. Also on the same subject, if fighters cause lag then it wouldn't be much different than missiles are now. If you attack a cluster then it would launch missile waves at you, admittedly not ALOT of missiles but enough. Would fighters really create more lag if you substitute missiles with them?

The main differences between the structures at the moment is; point defence has lower firepower but high refire rate and PD volume, defence bases are mediocre and offence bases hurt like hell but are poor at PD. Would it be possible to replace the offence bases on a planet with fighter bays?

I'm just thinking out loud. I loved fighter bases on planets, gives a real feel for defence.
[ This Message was edited by: Okkam's Razor @DnB on 2010-11-04 11:19 ]

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-04 13:52   
Remember fighter's range > missle's. Surely I don't wanna a planet spam fighters at me when I'm 4000gu away from it. I can't imagine how I feel, what I shall do to resist in thus case.

Btw, about the lag issue. Without being destroyed, in T time, the number of missle doesn't change but the number of fighter increases; therefore, lag is worse.

Old & stupid fighter base was removed from DS cause it's unbearable. How come new & intelligent fighter base back to life?

But I agree that defense bases need to change. Looks like def II is just too good. My suggestions:
  • Bomb I: 3 beams, 1 torp, 20 tech, 1 pop, 20 power.
  • Bomb II: 6 heavy beams, 2 torps, 60 tech, 4 pop, 30 power.
  • Off I: 2 beams, 2 ARs, 30 tech, 3 pop, 10 power.
  • Off II: 4 heavy beams, 4 Raptors, 70 tech, 6 pop, 20 power.
  • Def I: 3 beams, 1 gun, 40 tech, 2 pop, 15 power.
  • Def II: 6 heavy beams, 2 heavy guns, 80 tech, 5 pop, 25 power.
  • Interdictor: 50 tech, 1 pop, 25 power.
  • Sensor/antisensor: 10 tech, 1 pop, 15 power.

[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2010-11-04 14:35 ]

Knightfall
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-04 17:40   
Well, it just so happens I found a planet that had fighter defense bases on it in RR the other day. Of course, the planet had been captured by a moderator or dev, who then built the stuff on it, since its faction was RR, but thats not the point. They still do exist.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-11-04 17:45   
If we introduce them with much less CPU overhead then yes, but that is very unlikely as we'll probably see a slight increase in CPU usage, and if that is so, we won't see them return. For the record, we're running on one of the most powerful servers we can get our hands on.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-11-05 04:44 ]

Page created in 0.011851 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR