No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [Suggestion]New Staff : Mentors
 Author [Suggestion]New Staff : Mentors
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-11-17 03:31   
Many people have been registering on DarkSpace, but only a small part of them actually continue longer than a day. Why? I blame it on not having someone to guide them.

'Mentors' could be senior players who want to teach the newly-registered players about how to play DarkSpace, and consequently rouse interest in them for the game.

A minimum of 5, and a maximum of 30 would be a good number for these staff. They should also be given some priveleges, to make teaching easier.

Criteria
In my opinion, prestige should not be a factor for selection, as many players play the game only for prestige, not for fun (Read : Combat prestige too high).
I'd recommend the following :

100 days since registering/24 hours of playtime (Player has been actually playing and, to an extent, understanding game mechanics).
Profile statistics should be good (significant kill:death ratio, points in bombing, supplying and engineering, ship captures etc).
Mostly clean history of complaints and reports.
Personal opinion of senior players, moderators, developers and even lobbycampers (behaviour, skill, attitude etc).
10 constructive posts in the Developer's Feedback/Tactics and New Players threads/100 total posts (Player in question contributes to DarkSpace and its junior players).

These factors mostly pertain to the public image of the player, and have significant deterministic value towards "Whether the guy is fit for teaching or not?"

Priveleges
I can't say much about this. What I can say are :

Special colored icon. Yellow, blue, green, gray and white are gone. I vote for Red.
Variant of the /report system. When a new player enters a server for the first time, all mentors get a message about the player. Also, players registered less than 14 days ago can use a variant of /report too. Call it /noob or /newhere.
Permission to participate in Developer meets. They can atleast suggest if not substantially help the Devs.
Access to the /staffsend. Well...yeah.
Variant of /find which lists all players who joined in the last 14 days, and are playing. Call it /findnoob or /findnewhere
Other priveleges, like being able to join UGTO even though fleeted to ICC. Action should be logged to prevent abuse.
Other priveleges/commands you can think of.

These should help the new staff teach players easier than without them. Also, it increases their capacity to contribute and thereby affect the future of DarkSpace.

Duties
The duties should be very much straightforward.

Teach players. (Obviously)
Act as an information bank, so that queries of players old and new can be addressed. (Yes, old. There are players who don't know of /focus, /find and even /who)
Contribute to DS becoming more player-friendly.
Act as leaders both ingame and in lobby.
Be mature, helpful and friendly.
(Maybe) Act as junior moderators ingame.
Help resource persons by proofreading documents and informing of discrepancies, grammar, or lack of information altogether.

This is all I can think of. Please do take some time to understand it.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-11-17 07:15   
I think players smart enough to do such a thing can do so without being staff. This is what the DarkSpace Academy was originally concepted for.

furtim
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-17 08:57   
Well, I do think a few of the things Boomshot suggested would require a staff status. You couldn't implement "/findnoob" and just give it to everyone in the game, for instance, because I guarantee there's at least one person, probably more, who would abuse that utility to pick on new players.

Anyway, I definitely like this idea. While I've found the majority of players to be extremely helpful in answering questions and giving advice, it would be nice to have some whose appointed role it is to drop everything and spend an hour or whatever showing new players the ropes when a call comes through on "/noob".

Goto the website of furtim
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-11-17 10:31   
If you want to re-start the DarkSpace Academy then be my guest. However, you will not be allowed access to private staff channels or meetings.

You can find newer players by simply looking at their ID. All this has been done before without access to special tools and privileges.

Cosgrove
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-17 10:34   
good idea, but...
when most of us playing today started DS, we were instantly pleased by it and wanted to play more. They just didnt like it, so this games probably not for them.

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-17 14:07   
While I have never expected a staff position for it i try to make a point of answering all and any questions even if i have to look up the answer and i have on many an occasions dropped what i was doing to go help a newbie, although I have often been ditched without warning.

If any body ever wants help or has a question feel free to look me up and if i am around i will be sure to answer.

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-11-17 18:13   
Quote:
On 2010-11-17 14:07, Scorched Soul[+R] wrote:
While I have never expected a staff position for it i try to make a point of answering all and any questions even if i have to look up the answer and i have on many an occasions dropped what i was doing to go help a newbie, although I have often been ditched without warning.

If any body ever wants help or has a question feel free to look me up and if i am around i will be sure to answer.

Idem Dito
And as jack said, i know the general latest ID's so if they do ask a question i just click there name to get a /send @id and that ID instantly tells me if he needs some help getting the game started. (Emote spam?)
If there ID is a older then a simple [profile] can tell you more about them. It might be a returnee, or just some-one who needs info.
Knowing the contents of the manual and ROC helps a lot, since you then can point them to the right chapter. There is a lot of information in the manual and directing them to the manual will inspire them to read more parts of it. (at least we can hope).

I don't think we really need dedicated staff for this. As jack said DS academy was a decent system and worked, just that most of the mentors are gone. restart it if you want. But i personally think that just answering questions and or taking a newbie on tow in MV with a few people AND EXPLAIN what your doing and why. Would be more helpful to them, then what you are suggesting.

And again Idem Dito. If you have any questions just ask me. I may not be able to answer them all, but i will try. Even if it means digging it up.

E.

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-17 19:05   
Something that would be Immensely helpful would be if Darkspace would host a Newbie teamspeak sever that people who intend to mentor could use to speak to people instead of trying to fly your ship, keep track of the person and try to type fast enough to explain old questions, give and answer to new ones tell them that they should run because that dread is about to smear them etc. there has been more than one time when i was trying to explain the flood of incoming questions and an AI dread comes by and smears the newbie in a half second flat and the newbie doesn't even bother to get a new ship.

[ This Message was edited by: Scorched Soul[+R] on 2010-11-17 19:06 ]

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
xstrikex
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-18 14:41   
I think tutorials would help alot more. I remember when i started long ago there used to be missions you could do to learn how to play. idk what happened to though but maybe those could be looked at again. Im not saying its urgent because i know this would take alot of work but i think considering there is little structure when you start playing is why people get turned off.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-18 17:23   
If you took some good players and made them staff, you would only dilute the game, as staff spend most of their time playing other games whilst logged into to ds lobby anyways.

Besides, fleets are supposed to be mentors anyways.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
SnipeDragon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2010-11-18 17:29   
Quote:

On 2010-11-17 19:05, Scorched Soul[+R] wrote:
Something that would be Immensely helpful would be if Darkspace would host a Newbie teamspeak sever that people who intend to mentor could use to speak to people instead of trying to fly your ship, keep track of the person and try to type fast enough to explain old questions, give and answer to new ones tell them that they should run because that dread is about to smear them etc. there has been more than one time when i was trying to explain the flood of incoming questions and an AI dread comes by and smears the newbie in a half second flat and the newbie doesn't even bother to get a new ship.

[ This Message was edited by: Scorched Soul[+R] on 2010-11-17 19:06 ]

I have a 512 slot TS3 Non-Profit server.. I wouldn't mind setting aside channels for Darkspace seeing as how the server itself isn't even in use. The problem is finding trustworthy Server Admins as I can't be on at all times and I need people who won't ban non-Darkspace players.. meh, I might as well post connection information.

Email SnipeDragon
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-18 19:58   
Quote:

On 2010-11-17 10:31, BackSlash wrote:
If you want to re-start the DarkSpace Academy then be my guest.

Re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-start. (It doesn't ever last long when initialized)

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Page created in 0.028825 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR