No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +9.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » F2 map scanning/panning with left mouse button
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author F2 map scanning/panning with left mouse button
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2011-01-06 03:07   
I'm not sure if my computer is being screwy, but I can't seem to scan around the X-Y plane of the Darkspace F2 map. Is this a new "feature" or something I'm unaware of?

Double clicking or spacebaring targets to move around the f2 is really a pain.

Am I missing something? Why does the left mouse button and right mouse button both rotate in a 3-dimensional space while the Left Button on the mouse should just scan around the map.

Normally I would use the left mouse button and the mouse wheel to navigate the map and then jump from the F2 screen with a ctrl-click point jump.

This makes no sense to me. I was told it's been broke for a few years. Granted I haven't been playing much and just lived with it, but I just assumed my setup was busted or something. Are you really telling me you can't scan the F2 map with the left mouse button anymore, or is my setup just twisted up?

If I can't move around the F2 map, that really breaks the playability of the entire game. If it's on my end, that's awesome, let me know, but if this is a game defect that has changed since the old days, I really don't know that I can keep playing, even for free. It's impossible to navigate, fight, and build smoothly.
[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2011-01-06 03:23 ]
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-06 06:08   
Quote:

On 2011-01-06 03:07, dj42 {C?} wrote:
I'm not sure if my computer is being screwy, but I can't seem to scan around the X-Y plane of the Darkspace F2 map. Is this a new "feature" or something I'm unaware of?

Double clicking or spacebaring targets to move around the f2 is really a pain.

Am I missing something? Why does the left mouse button and right mouse button both rotate in a 3-dimensional space while the Left Button on the mouse should just scan around the map.

Normally I would use the left mouse button and the mouse wheel to navigate the map and then jump from the F2 screen with a ctrl-click point jump.

This makes no sense to me. I was told it's been broke for a few years. Granted I haven't been playing much and just lived with it, but I just assumed my setup was busted or something. Are you really telling me you can't scan the F2 map with the left mouse button anymore, or is my setup just twisted up?

If I can't move around the F2 map, that really breaks the playability of the entire game. If it's on my end, that's awesome, let me know, but if this is a game defect that has changed since the old days, I really don't know that I can keep playing, even for free. It's impossible to navigate, fight, and build smoothly.
[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2011-01-06 03:23 ]

yes ding ding ding it is a grand new feature you have to now ctrl target space ctril target space to even pan 2000 gu ITS A BRAVE NEW WORLD.

notice my sense of happy scarcasim to this as its a total PAIN and i am trying to find out whether it is indeed a bug or a new game feature(if its a new game feature its really screwed up at least with the old map you could pan) just haven't noticed anything related to this but hey i am insane noone pays much attention to me anyway so now we got a nice scen server where you can spawn dreads and stations from barran planets as long as you have 100 tech and a team of extractors. a newbie server that the newbies don't even know how to access or tell the difference and a meta server that if it breaks EVERYONES SCREWED XD.

crazy times we live in and don't bother asking me to show the newbies where the server is in the meta server cluster i am having problems still trying to remember which is which.
i may not see it like that but some do.
[ This Message was edited by: jamesbob on 2011-01-06 06:55 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-01-06 09:36   
Quote:

On 2011-01-06 03:07, dj42 {C?} wrote:
I can't seem to scan around the X-Y plane of the Darkspace F2 map.

Quote:

On 2011-01-06 06:08, jamesbob wrote:
you have to now ctrl target space ctril target space to even pan 2000 gu

I definitely remember left-mouse button used to pan the navmap. Probably something happened when the right-click commands was implemented.

And even when panning was enabled, it covered very little distance, within 500 gu I believe.

Can a dev comment on this? Can we have panning restored, and tweaked to cover more distance?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-06 10:28   
It was disabled due to some misc issues when Faustus was working on adding shader support (if any of you remember when nothing appeared on the nav map in beta, that was the same problem).

It only ever covered very small distances, and almost everyone uses click+spacebar to move the camera around. I see no reason for it to be perminantly removed, but we're working on more important things, so this will likely be worked on when someone has a bit of time.

So, TL;DR: might make it back in when someone has some spare time to look at it.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2011-01-06 10:29 ]

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-06 18:12   
double click is very easy, just zoom out and double click on a point of intrest and zoom in

Admiral C. Wilson
Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-06 22:25   
you people are funny

Email Admiral C. Wilson
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-07 18:50   
people aren't just being a pain. You cant really see anything unless you have a sy riight there. Not directed at jack.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2011-01-07 19:23   
I didn't mean for my OP to sound overly-complainy. I was legitimately curious if it was like a mouse setting or something on my end, since left and right buttons were redundant. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if anyone else used to play this way, but based on my muscle memory in F2 map that never works (but I try almost every time I go there and then have to awkwardly bumble around double-clicking and whatnot), I would zoom out with wheel, pan with left mb, zoom back in, fine tune with a ctrl-click and then point jump. I would do that during combat a lot to point jump around people or quickly track someone that ejumped. It also seemed like you used to be able to double click the planets in the planet list to "jump target" to them, which doesn't work, requiring some strange rotating and zooming to double-click move.
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-07 20:31   
yeah that's how it worked until a few patches back. I hate trying to find anything in f2 now.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2011-01-08 02:56   
Quote:

On 2011-01-07 20:31, Azreal wrote:
yeah that's how it worked until a few patches back. I hate trying to find anything in f2 now.

At least I'm not alone.

hah

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2011-01-08 02:56 ]

Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-01-09 10:17   
Quote:

On 2011-01-07 19:23, dj42 {C?} wrote:
I didn't mean for my OP to sound overly-complainy. I was legitimately curious if it was like a mouse setting or something on my end, since left and right buttons were redundant. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if anyone else used to play this way, but based on my muscle memory in F2 map that never works (but I try almost every time I go there and then have to awkwardly bumble around double-clicking and whatnot), I would zoom out with wheel, pan with left mb, zoom back in, fine tune with a ctrl-click and then point jump. I would do that during combat a lot to point jump around people or quickly track someone that ejumped. It also seemed like you used to be able to double click the planets in the planet list to "jump target" to them, which doesn't work, requiring some strange rotating and zooming to double-click move.

I would have to totally agree with the above statement. I recently came back after a long hiatus and well, through years and years of patches, the one thing that never really changed and became trained into muscle memory was Navigation. I figure in the process of making this game it was the first part of the design that F would have had to get as close to perfect as possible.

I would say it was. I'm not opposed to change, but let's just say, for players with a ton of play time logged, it takes a lot of getting used to. I basically have to re-learn the art of point jumping entirely.

I won't even get into the old issue of planets not even coming up on the map. Let's just say I would love if this change went into the Dev folder: "Changes to be Retracted"...

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-01-09 21:32   
it actually got disabled due to conflicts with the new right click control scheme... I don't remember the specific reasons anymore, but there was a good reason at the time I was working on it.

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2011-01-10 01:34   
Do you remember if it's the action of panning that was the problem or just having it assigned to the left mouse button?

If it were the latter, would it be possible to just set "panning-in-F2" to an unused key, so people with reprogrammable mouse buttons can assign it?

i.e. set panning-in-F2 to the { key. Then assign a side-mouse button to {.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-01-10 10:45   
I remember now... when I added the right mouse actions, I had to move the camera rotation to the holding down of the left mouse button... this obviously made it impossible for it to also pan...

I can change it so holding down shift and left dragging pans in the next update..

-F

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2011-01-10 13:19 ]

Goto the website of Faustus
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2011-01-10 16:12   
awesome.

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2011-01-10 16:14 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022595 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR