Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Jameason
14th - Random Axis

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Other systems.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Other systems.
Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-25 12:08   
As someone was pointing out in the MV, the amount of systems we currently have to play with is a bit big for the amount of play and playerbase that is currently in the game and that removing these systems might reduce server load (if only slightly).

We threw the idea back and forth and came to these conclusions.

Home Systems:
- We rarely go into the home systems to capture them and to push back into the hostile home space, most of our combat is fixed in the center of the 'galaxy' as it were. With this in mind, considering the amount of systems and planets in the home systems it might be an idea to reduce the amount of systems involved. Home systems are a fun idea and as previously mensioned they are used but having 5 systems is a bit much.
The Home systems can be reduced to 2 systems and still create the exact same effect.

AI systems:
- The MI systems and Pirate planets seem to serve no real purpose at the moment. People rarely ever go into the MI systems for several reasons:
- MI can instantly flatten a planet you captured/built
- MI ships are considerably higher in firepower than human ones
- Prestige gain from killing AI isn't great
For the above reasons it can be considered a waste of server space to have more than a small, small handful of AI planets in existence.
The pirate planets are another issue to be touched upon. The pirate planet in a system is normally either scripted to stay pirate or that atleast one planet in the system needs to be pirate. From there they send out their silly station and weak cruisers/destroyers to just do nothing other than get in the way. The planet itself is completely worthless to capture due to the nature of the inbuilt revolt function in pirate planets. The pirates do not expand or add good prestige to the area, instead the planets are simply thought of as 'dead zones' where no one can be bothered to go to due to the futility in actually attacking the pirate faction.

Not that I am claiming the pirate and MI factions are unimportant but simply the amount of planets claimed and used by these factions and the lack of interaction that players have with them should be considered.

To end my point, everyone who reads this should think how many times they have entered the home system in the past 2 months to do anything other than spawn/upgrade a ship. Please comment with how many times if you have below. It would really get an idea of how often it happens.

For myself, I have not gone to the home systems of any race within the last 2 months to do anything other than mess around with modding a line station.

Food for thought.

James 296
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-25 13:21   
I would be glad for the home systems to be reduced to 2 and one system each for the MI and Pirates as so they still have somewhat of a present in MV. So you have my vote

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-25 13:57   
Quote:

On 2011-01-25 13:21, James 296 wrote:
I would be glad for the home systems to be reduced to 2 and one system each for the MI and Pirates as so they still have somewhat of a present in MV. So you have my vote

Agreed with 100%. I don't mind having MI or Pirate systems on their own server. They are heavily AI. I just also don't see the point of it being more than one system.

The Homeservers also don't get much activity so having that many systems seems a waste. Why have something that isn't going to be touched on, if ever? Its become a purely asthetic effect.

The focus on the center MV has been made very clear over the past year or so. People do go and farm AI occasionally, people use homesystems to spawn in sometimes, but otherwise the center is where everything is.

Of course, I wish the Homeservers and the AI systems served some relevancy. There some very RPGish ways to go about that.

Such as, Homeservers are more like raid servers, where a faction has a chance to attack a home system and gain some powerful enhancements. Course it would have to be heavily scripted so people didn't just go straight for the Home planet, but its not beyond impossible to work out. It would just definitely take alot of work (alot of scripting, alot of balancing, alot of time, etc.).

Pirate and MI servers could feature planets that allow more unique modding of your ships. Its an idea I've heard the Dev team float around for a while that planets could be tied to some kind of modding but its never really been conceptualized.

Its been a long time now since anything but Luyten or Tau Ceti had any significant action, and its just for the hell of it. A sandbox game is fun until you know, same battles, same planets, etc. Alot more players could be kept if you could give them some kind of goal beyond "Well, if you're bored, you could capture the whole MV. It wont do you any good, you wont get anything for it, but sure why not?"

-Ent

Kapone
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-01-25 14:38   
Home systems: entered few times to get ship. But to add more, i left few times those 3 planetary systems(Luyten, Epsilon, Tau) in pats 2 months

Pirates and MI: I agree that they should have 1 galaxy system with 1 system on it for them to egzist.

Main Galaxy system (saggitarius) should also reduse systems from 6 to 3 or 4 ( i personnaly want 1 main system with a lot planets on it and those planets grouped like 2-5 one near another)

By doing it all players will more concentrate in 1 spot, and sometimes "empty" space will be more lively.

I hope later we will get more players and then think of more systems.

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-25 14:49   
Do the MI really need any planets? It could add to the mystery surrounding them if MI ships just jumped in from the darkness of open space.

But it is a huge waste to give the MI a whole server that players for the most part can not use.

Admiral C. Wilson
Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-25 15:51   
I say the mi and pirates could go. I lead a raid on a mi system once, Well we all died and ever since I dont go to the mi systems. Pirates have only 1 planet that I have ever seen and its in luyten. So they can go. I go to the home system once a week do to lak of res.

Admiral Wilson

Email Admiral C. Wilson
Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-01-25 15:55   
If they made evrything one server again, it would be much better, then we even migth use the homesystem.

Todays solutions makes it so we dont know whats goin on in those systems, and rather dont care either.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-25 15:56   
Would you be happier if the MI system only opened up once a certain number of players were online?

The_Enforcer (The Vindicator)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-25 16:49   
I just want it to be like the good old days, where u would have a band of brave players go into the MI sector and get lots of pres from it.

Ah, Memories ...

MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-01-25 18:04   
Quote:

On 2011-01-25 15:56, BackSlash wrote:
Would you be happier if the MI system only opened up once a certain number of players were online?

That wouldn't really solve the problem

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-01-25 18:27   
herd stories of MI deads insta pwning Assault Dreads... i havent even attempted to go there since.

to clairfy, FTL and ICCU used to go into proc to cap it all the time, as well as RR and the home systems, (we were trying to get combat out of sag, as sag is stale)

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*FTL* on 2011-01-26 03:47 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-25 19:40   
Quote:

On 2011-01-25 18:27, Defiance*FTL* wrote:
herd stories of MI deads insta pwning Assault Dreads... i havent even attempted to go there since.

It honestly would seem as though that was the desired effect. Like taxing something thru the roof in order to stop its use.....

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-25 20:17   
Quote:

On 2011-01-25 15:56, BackSlash wrote:

This would be an interesting move, but to what purpose? It might encourage large groups to go that route.

If you really wanted some sort of player based incursion into MI space then you might aswell just introduce an Elite MI that drops a really nice mod but only spawns now and again after killing and capturing a certain amount/type of MI.

I also like the idea of making it so that MI should appear at random instead of having a planet or system, with the whole thing about planet defences meaning jack squat against them anyhow.

I also want to remind people of the pirates. I mean, honestly now, how many of you actually like or care that there is a pirate planet in Luyten other than it might shoot PD at you (or did, before the patch) and that the pirate station is just a giant platform to drop inf on and watch as it ploughs through a cluster in hull...

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-25 20:42   
Quote:

On 2011-01-25 18:27, Defiance*FTL* wrote:

Technically all MI combat ships are assault ships, uber beams...and uber range uber tracking uber speed torpedos...

If any one wants to try to invade MI territory, use reflective armor if possible, MI also use reflective armor, so ICC would also be at advantage here.

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-25 21:24   
Or....Make MI playable .

Then the MI systems become home systems too! Everyone wins (especially those who have already accepted our fate as servants to the robot overlords ) !

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024943 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR