No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - James Bum007

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Other systems.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Other systems.
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-26 21:44   
Quote:

On 2011-01-26 18:46, {arcane|cat}-feline-(rogue) wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-01-26 18:43, Bombg wrote:
it's very confusing to new players

You know new players should be playing the scenario instead of MV, plus new players should atleast known the "manual".

{arcane|cat}-feline-(rogue)

[ This Message was edited by: {arcane|cat}-feline-(rogue) on 2011-01-26 18:48 ]

The scenario is dead and empty. The only things you see are
-poor newbies in scouts killing AI
-person who wants planet cap, build, or bomb pres
-random arse who kills newbies and engies for fun

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-26 22:57   
What about having a denser middle cluster to fight over? As it is, theres 2 clusters (one is crippled by ever-present pirates) , and izhack sitting by itself. What if it had like 6 clusters? One cluster near gates to each faction, for them to establish a beachead, and then more clusters inner system, perhaps arranged so they're difficult to assault each other.

The beachead clusters are barrens/ice, and the more valuable (and harder to hold) inner systems have terrans.

A faction that controls the terrans has an advantage, but is wide open to attack from all directions. I'd think that'd keep it more dynamic than "ICC has a broken binary star, lets attack them!"

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-01-26 23:14   
Quote:

On 2011-01-26 22:57, Reznor wrote:
What about having a denser middle cluster to fight over?

Could be a potential idea here.

Add Sol and one more system after Cincinnati. CD36 and one more to Tau, and Sirius and something else to Eps Eri.

Right now, the home systems are used mainly to spawn new ships.

Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-27 00:19   
I don't think adding more systems will fix the problem of there being too much systems, or am I misunderstanding?

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-01-27 03:17   
How bout we let the new planet capture system pan out first...

I have seen a sweeping trend for player to want to cap now, and its only a matter of time befor a faction gets pushed all the way back to their home planet.

I SOO want this! Fighting in new systems over new ground is fun, all that is needed is players with the drive to want to win the war. If i had more time, id be after Earth as we speak. But thats just me.

And if your on the faction that gets drove back to your home system. You will be darn glad your home server is as large as it is.

Ive seen UGTO drove back to Earth several times since ive been playing. Luth been drove back to SagHotha many times too. The only thing ive not ever seen is ICC drove back into our home planet. Come to think of it, ive not seen icc drove past their first system in cassiopia!

1. Its fun to have the ability to fight over new ground.
2. When drove out of sag and into your home server, Its nice to have the extra space!

Proc, on the other hand, is a waste of three whole star systems...
correct me if im wrong.. But arnt the MI unheard of at this stage in DS history? Dont you think if a hostile enemy entity had taken hold of Three star systems so close to the SOL system, that someone would know about them, and either try to open peace talks with them, or declair war?

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-01-27 07:56   
Quote:

On 2011-01-27 00:19, Bombg wrote:
I don't think adding more systems will fix the problem of there being too much systems, or am I misunderstanding?

Yea, you misunderstood me.

Add the home systems + one or two more of each faction's home systems to Sag.

Then get rid of Lacerta, Andromeda, Procyon, Cassiopiea, and RR.

Saphirako
Fleet Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-01-27 08:17   
As Snafu said earlier...

WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING OVER FARGO ROCK SINCE JUNE 2010.

For the first say 2 or 3 months, it was interesting and kinda fun. After a while it became routine:

1. Log in
2. Get a dread
3. Fight to take bake Fargo and system
4. Get engie build fargo cluster
5. Build plats around cluster
6. Go into Lut

And then theres actual possibilities.... You could:

7a. Die
7b. Recap Zeel's system
7c. Die (yes, i know i said die twice...)

Honestly even though 1.6 was a pretty cool upgrade for capping planets, it doesn't feel like Darkspace anymore... It feels like a different game.

When I was just starting DS, There were different Servers for each system...

Sagitarius consisted of a constant battle for Mycopia and Zoca....
Fargo Rock was always the enemy's turf and no one cared.
FTL was the big gun of the ICC and it was home to some of the best players the MV had ever seen....

Now, its rather sad:
I don't mind that all the servers got grouped together, that's cool...
What I don't like is how people changed the way they played...
Almost all Uggies went to Luth...
Uggies are a rare find in space now (except AI)...
Luthies are being cheap and have like 3 hives surrounding a dread and balst them apart....
All I'm saying is the game has evolved from being about friends and epic battles to the same old battle of Fargo... every day... I just want to know what the next big idea is, and if it makes DS come back to it's former glory...

Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-27 08:32   
First off, LOL Aurora.

Ok, got that out of the way.

It still feels like DS but because the capture system is what it is, it doesn't take much for a planet to be captured by a large fleet (although it is capped at 5 minutes) and whoever said that the 1.6 capture system needs to pan out is correct, it should be given time.

Contrary to what I just said is that while a large fleet is taking one area then a medium sized hostile fleet can take another in a completely different system making it just go around in circles. The amount of time put into capturing and securing planets has been increased which means having this many servers and planets is insane.

I also agree that pushing someone back to their home system would be a good idea, however if you consider that home system chains have about 3 systems attached with planets, AI and the rest, then you have the main (what 5?) servers in the middle then for a faction to realistically push someone back into their home system you have to capture 3-4 main systems and then get a beach head in one of the home systems.

Consider the last statement and how long it takes per planet to be captured and how long it takes per planet to be secured before moving on and add to that time zones. This meaning you could have a great fleet mash into a system and capture/secure it only for the 6 hour difference in time zone when they log off to counter the idea like before.

Finally, home systems are fun and yes I would like to see people getting pushed back into them too, but it would add more urgency and fun to the game if there was less 'middleground' about it. If there was 2 systems for home systems instead of 3-4 and one or two less main MV systems then it means that if you do not defend the MV properly you WILL be pushed back into the home system, however unless the enemy team has un-realistic numbers (or has RSM in 7+ bloody krills) then they will struggle to hold the MV against the 3rd faction AND strike your home system. That being said, it is not impossible, but it is hard.

It makes little sense at this point in time to have this many systems, they will not be used. It is as simple as that.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-01-27 12:35   
Quote:

On 2011-01-26 08:55, Snafu (Okkam) wrote:
WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING OVER FARGO ROCK SINCE JUNE 2010

Nuff said.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-01-27 17:05   
as ive said, ive never seen icc pushed back beyond the moons of lya. I for one would be sad to see cassi torn apart for lack of motivation of enemy forces to push into her. Cassi is the symbol of icc. No the literal symbol!

We were fighting in there last night. The new ground, with new planets, and blue hue to everything was a welcome change of pace from that blasted red in the middle of sag.

One thing i have noticed is a growing trend to want to be done with fighting around fargo. There is a whole crapton of space out there people, all you have to do is plot a course and make it so. I would love to see a heated battle over RR. Or a march on Sol. And you betcha if i ever get free time, ill be leading an incursion on earth.

I cannot be the only one that feels this way.

Pont being, that if people already think gameplay is stale.. then why would you turn around and take away more of their choices about how to bring the fight to the enemy?

I have seen a small Sag.. ITS NOT FUN!@

Also, I used the home systems to train new recruits how to play with icc. There was always a rebel planet in there somewhere that i showed them how to attack, how to build, and what to do to ensure you hold it. Ive also taught icc combat manuvers to younglings with live fire exersizes. Our home system, is vitaly important to me... is it to no one else?

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*FTL* on 2011-01-27 17:09 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-27 20:04   
Quote:

On 2011-01-27 17:05, Defiance*FTL* wrote:
as ive said, ive never seen icc pushed back beyond the moons of lya. I for one would be sad to see cassi torn apart for lack of motivation of enemy forces to push into her. Cassi is the symbol of icc. No the literal symbol!

We were fighting in there last night. The new ground, with new planets, and blue hue to everything was a welcome change of pace from that blasted red in the middle of sag.

One thing i have noticed is a growing trend to want to be done with fighting around fargo. There is a whole crapton of space out there people, all you have to do is plot a course and make it so. I would love to see a heated battle over RR. Or a march on Sol. And you betcha if i ever get free time, ill be leading an incursion on earth.

I cannot be the only one that feels this way.

Pont being, that if people already think gameplay is stale.. then why would you turn around and take away more of their choices about how to bring the fight to the enemy?

Also, I used the home systems to train new recruits how to play with icc. There was always a rebel planet in there somewhere that i showed them how to attack, how to build, and what to do to ensure you hold it. Ive also taught icc combat manuvers to younglings with live fire exersizes. Our home system, is vitaly important to me... is it to no one else?

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*FTL* on 2011-01-27 17:09 ]

You're in the minority.

Try drumming up a warband to attack a system, they'll ask whats the point? Theres no prestige in it. Just wait for them to attack.

Or camp around a gate. Someones bound to come through. The only reason people attack planets is so someone will come and fight them. Or just to annoy the enemy.

Theres all that space to fight over.. and no one fights over it. Because no one has a reason to. People need goals, people need drive, people need a reason. Just because its a new cluster doesn't make it any different from any other cluster because theres nothing in it for them. Sure as hell probably wont be any combat.

There have been a few, few times where I've seen ICC force UGTO to defend their home system, and only their homesystem, not the other systems on the homeserver, because ICC decided to leave the MV for a few minutes and attack the home server for giggles.

I think the point here I'm making is, you're in the minority. Very very small minority of people. I can't see a reason for keeping huge home servers open if one or two people are using them. I also don't see the point of multi-system MI or Pirate servers, because they are hardly used too.

There is at most usually around 50 people in the MV and you know where they are? Luyten. Tau Ceti. Epsilon Eri. If you removed every other system in the game it would change very little. I wish I was joking. There have been the same battles fought over the same planets - actually no. They weren't fought for the planets, they just wanted to fight each other.

A smaller MV makes people fight each other, the only reason they made it bigger again is because "people wanted more planets to bomb, build, and fight over", which is funny, because after they were built, they were left there to rot because no one sure as hell fought over them. Theres no prestige in capturing (lol, 5 points for ten minutes worth of work?) or bombing (50 points for 10 minutes worth of work? Lol_, or building even, unless you're building alot of planets at once. Which stopped once glassing stopped in 1.483.

Its a joke. A bad, long running, joke. Until planets and systems have some reason to go after them, people would rather fight over Fargo Rock day after day because its not really Fargo Rock they're fighting over, they're just getting people to come fight with them. Thats all the MV has become.

So I say, get rid of the unneccessary, unused systems. Free up some CPU cycles. And then use it for something more interesting. Make planets worth something at least. Give some kind of directional goal, give some kind of incentive. There has to be. Combat, and fighting each other is incentive, but you don't even need a whole MV for that - you could just have an Arena.

And Fargo Rock is just one big arena.

-Ent

Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-28 08:26   
Quote:

On 2011-01-27 17:05, Defiance*FTL* wrote:

On the 27th of January I did log on to see ICC pushed back into the home system through many different reasons (I assure you it has nothing to do with some RSM helping UGTO). It was 'interesting' because the last system to the MV is completely made of barren or useless planets. The hostile ships that forced ICC out do not continue the fight because why should they? They get the MV without ICC for a bit, they can attempt to capture everything else. In response to your quote, I am not campaigning to get the home systems removed, simply shortened. Other than spawning in the last system before the MV gate and spawning at Exathra there is no point in the other systems being there, it is literally wasted database space and time which has a small affect on the amount of space and time given to the areas that need it most.

Quote:

We can fight over another system, but the problem I find is that the MV is so circular ist doesn't mean a damn. You can attack RR with overwhelming odds and then the enemy turn around and sucker punch you by taking the system you just left because you can always just GO AROUND hostile fleets.
Quote:

We aren't saying gameplay is stale, we are saying now that changes have been in affect, changes that seem they are going to last, it throws into question on the point in having all these systems. Small sag wasn't great, but you'd be suprised how much smaller you can make the MV without causing ANY damage to the MV.

Quote:

I can assure you that if these proposed changes eventually get recognised and put through by admins there will be a small pair or something of home systems available. With this there will always be atleast one rebel planet because of the stupid game mechanics in revolts.

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-28 09:39   
Quote:

On 2011-01-26 08:55, Snafu (Okkam) wrote:
WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING OVER FARGO ROCK SINCE JUNE 2010

What was the root cause of that? Ooooh, found your problem.

Your defense for this was because you were bored of Luyten. Well you picked a hell of a time to be bored and get ballsy against K'luth when they were counting on you pushing into Luyten.

Majority of ICC can't seem to get over their spite of K'luth that they end up screwing themselves over. Whinging and insulting both factions, then whinge more about it when you get double teamed.

Enjoy Fargo Rock.

[ This Message was edited by: Azure Prower on 2011-01-28 09:45 ]

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-01-28 11:26   
ICC != Luth lapdog

Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-28 14:30   
Please stay on topic or don't bother posting. While the picture does seem to add a point to the direction of game play or possible circular MV map it doesn't actually serve any purpose in this thread.

Nor, may I remind you, does calling 'ICC' out. This isn't a "I hate [insert faction] thread" and i'll kindly remind you to stay on topic/not de-rail.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025004 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR