Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Diplomacy » » point of etiquette
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author point of etiquette
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-04 14:27   
Just wanna say, I see people doing this more, and it really is nice to see. I've seen it actually have a positive response from several new players to be congted so enthusiastically by the general playerbase.

Also, if there are other ideas that you may have for good "traditions" or whatever you want to call it, by all means, speak up.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-04 19:15   
Hmm something I would personally enjoy seeing return is the idea of chivalry. I believe it died off in the game somewhere around mid-483, and never really returned.

Would be a pleasant reminder of a more civilized era hmm? Honoring an enemy in the act of combat, a dual of wit and skill to the death, ah, yes, I miss it so.

Part of why I stopped playing was that everyone became to utterly ruthless, myself included :/ which is not what I originally believed this community to be capable of. I remember the idea of honor above all, and I idolized it so much, bringing that back would be a massive step forward in the recovery of the community as a whole.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2011-02-04 23:01   
So for a while in the MV if u got caught in someones fire you basically died instantly, but once that got sorted out there was generally a practice of letting people limp off if you had a good fight with them, or if they got really unlucky (e.g. were trying to limp home and hit your dictor field). What I see more often nowadays is people getting hunted down if they try to escape and ripped to shreds, even if they only have 5% hull or something like that.

Keep in mind that dying costs a fair bit of prestige, and that the amount of prestige you get from taking off 5% hull from anything is pretty small. I have personally been seriously dissuaded from wanting to play after being relentlessly hunted down just so someone can pad their kill stat. its unkind and unsportsmanlike. if someone gives you a fair run, or just gets seriously bad luck, let them go. in fact its probably in your interest, as they then have to find a way to get home and repair or switch ships before they rejoin the fight instead of just picking the next ship in the garage.

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-02-05 00:09   
Quote:

On 2011-02-04 23:01, Lark (Retired) wrote:
So for a while in the MV if u got caught in someones fire you basically died instantly, but once that got sorted out there was generally a practice of letting people limp off if you had a good fight with them, or if they got really unlucky (e.g. were trying to limp home and hit your dictor field). What I see more often nowadays is people getting hunted down if they try to escape and ripped to shreds, even if they only have 5% hull or something like that.

Keep in mind that dying costs a fair bit of prestige, and that the amount of prestige you get from taking off 5% hull from anything is pretty small. I have personally been seriously dissuaded from wanting to play after being relentlessly hunted down just so someone can pad their kill stat. its unkind and unsportsmanlike. if someone gives you a fair run, or just gets seriously bad luck, let them go. in fact its probably in your interest, as they then have to find a way to get home and repair or switch ships before they rejoin the fight instead of just picking the next ship in the garage.

NO MORE IMPUNITY!!!

if people jump into your dictor they deserve there punishment and shall get it with great inthusiasm by planets owner

and not to be rude or anythang but your up there with backslash flash and necrotic when it comes to hit list and i for one would love to have you on my mantle above the fire >:D

oh and sorry for going off topic

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron[+R] on 2011-02-05 00:09 ]

Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-05 01:24   
On a side note its interesting to notice how video game communities sometimes mimic the progress of society in real life. Going from honor and chivalry, helping others and working together to achieve a common goal. To simply looking out for number one, having no mercy and only helping others when it benifits you.

In other words, without guidance and encouragement all communities will stumble down the dark road of greed, arogance, and a disgraceful, vain, animalistic way of thinking.

Dogs will chase anything that runs from them too.
I am the monster in your head. I am the phantom under your bed. I am the broken string when youre hanging by a thread. I am the darkness when the light fades away. When the buds of hope begin to sprout I am the harvester.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-02-05 01:58   
The essence of combat is to strike at the vulnerabilities of one's opponent. There is no "fair" or "unfair".

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*FTL* on 2011-02-05 02:25 ]

Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-05 03:44   
Quote:

On 2011-02-05 01:58, Defiance*FTL* wrote:
The essence of combat is to strike at the vulnerabilities of one's opponent. There is no "fair" or "unfair".

Correct, and by chassing down a fleeing opponent you are taking yourself away from the battle. Hurting your team more than you opponents. There is no logical reason to chase a fleeing opponent other than greed.
I am the monster in your head. I am the phantom under your bed. I am the broken string when youre hanging by a thread. I am the darkness when the light fades away. When the buds of hope begin to sprout I am the harvester.

Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-05 03:45   
Quote:

Correct, and by chassing down a fleeing opponent you are taking yourself away from the battle. Hurting your team more than you opponents. There is no logical reason to chase a fleeing opponent other than greed.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-05 11:39   
Quote:

Veron is right. Players are ruthless. But then this is just a game, and a game about war and killing at that.

So I guess anything goes.

Even the US armed forces don't practice chivalry. Otherwise they wouldn't have bombed the heck outta Iraq before moving in. Shock and awe FTW.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-05 13:35   
The best feelin in the game is to demote the person that gets promoted!

SO COM ON! YELL GRATZ AND ILL BE THERE!!!

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-05 13:36   
I guess its totally dead then :/

This is not reality, this a community based around a competitive game, its no more a 'war' then chess. You don't see chess players smack talking each other, you see respect.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-05 14:52   
lol

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-02-05 15:36   
you want respect?

respect the fact that your gonna get chased down ruthelssly blown to pices by everyship with a charged jump drive if your jump isent long enouph or you hit a dictor the majority of all ds players want the kill

this is so off topic

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-05 18:44   
Players change, overall community changes.

I still say grats everytime someone gets a promotion, just that I think a lot of people dont really care about ranking up anymore. IE new system ranking up is a lot faster, players dont respect each other as much, old players gone.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-05 20:06   
Quote:

On 2011-02-05 13:36, Veronw wrote:
I guess its totally dead then :/

This is not reality, this a community based around a competitive game, its no more a 'war' then chess. You don't see chess players smack talking each other, you see respect.

Speaking for myself, I still talk to people properly (or respectfully) when we're having a proper conversation on the lobby, forums, or in-game chat. Of course when we're mucking around, well there's always room for some smack talk.

But while playing the game, let's all get in character a little, shall we? I'm a ruthless lobster who would like nothing more than downfall of humanity.

That being said, I still offer Gratz to a promoted player.... if I didn't miss the message. It's easy to miss a message in the heat of battle.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-02-05 22:15 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021050 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR