No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Please fix the Shipyard exploit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Please fix the Shipyard exploit
Deth *CO2*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-02-15 19:57   
i say 50% the medium

TheHunter
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-15 20:11   
Gej's Idea is a sound one, Kenny's idea also has its merits but i'd not want to be a mod/admin having to decide over oh you lost your ship because you were outside the 250gu cone/corridor.

you can just see it now endless biatching on the forums about compensation for lost ships, or just plain bitching period, just make a uniformed if you spawn and planet is anything below 100% or a set figure that someone deems fair then you cannot redock PERIOD.

[ This Message was edited by: TheHunter on 2011-02-15 20:16 ]

Goto the website of TheHunter
Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-15 20:23   
I dont particularly like kenny's idea. Sounds like that would just be way to easy for kluth to murder people as soon as they spawn. Since they can cloak you wouldnt know they where there, you spawn, and get jumped by killed by several kluth dreads.
I am the monster in your head. I am the phantom under your bed. I am the broken string when youre hanging by a thread. I am the darkness when the light fades away. When the buds of hope begin to sprout I am the harvester.

Lithium
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-15 21:04   
btw, how many ships are docked in a major shipyard?

Dakili
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 01:55   
Quote:

On 2011-02-15 21:04, Lithium wrote:
btw, how many ships are docked in a major shipyard?

If we say there's a minimum of 20 player per faction. Maximum of 8 ships... that makes around 160. Minimum. But anyways

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-16 16:19   
Quote:

On 2011-02-15 19:33, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
The other idea goes back to the much discussed idea of a spacebound SY. Or a SY plat. I don't think any of these capital ships.... especially a 1.5km dread, or a 4km large station.... should have any atmospheric capabilities!!

I can only assume that the actual ships are docked at the top of a space elevator in low orbit.

Which in itself doesn't make that much sense, but frankly trying to explain how DS works will just cause people's heads to explode.

Having shipyards be actual structures in space would be interesting, though, although it would also make them horribly easy to blow up.

OneBoredSith
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 17:01   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 16:19, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

The other idea goes back to the much discussed idea of a spacebound SY. Or a SY plat. I don't think any of these capital ships.... especially a 1.5km dread, or a 4km large station.... should have any atmospheric capabilities!!

I can only assume that the actual ships are docked at the top of a space elevator in low orbit.

Which in itself doesn't make that much sense, but frankly trying to explain how DS works will just cause people's heads to explode.

Having shipyards be actual structures in space would be interesting, though, although it would also make them horribly easy to blow up.

In Star Wars, Fondor or Kuat shipyard didn't get pwned that fast!!!!

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-16 17:04   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 17:01, The Rectifier V2.5 wrote:
In Star Wars, Fondor or Kuat shipyard didn't get pwned that fast!!!!

Probably because a) they had lots of warships defending them and b) if memory serves, The Kuat Drive Yards were basically a gigantic ring that surrounded the planet.

Also, in Star Wars they were probably trying to capture them because it took several years to build them, as opposed to DS where anything that takes more than several seconds to build is considered "a while".

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-16 18:08   
Quote:

ROFL. Forget about semantics.

But SY as orbital plats could do better perhaps.
Make them:
- Station sized plats that can only be built around planets, not deep space
- Have the armor/shield/hull of a station
- Have limited defs perhaps. A couple of PDs, core weaps
- Expensive & takes long to build (eg: 15000 res and 5 minutes to build)

U can't tow them around, so when you build 'em, the positioning is critical.
You're gonna have to defend it with plats or ships. It is a strategic installation.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 18:43   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 18:08, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

Make them:

You're gonna have to defend it with plats or ships. It is a strategic installation.

Do they use resources to make ships from the planet they orbit? or from their hold?

Mr.Grim[Loyalist]
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-16 19:36   
Quote:

On 2011-02-15 15:32, Drafell wrote:
Need to implement that docking delay timer that has been often requested.

How about requiring ships to be aligned to the planet in order to dock? It would mean that a station would have to align to the planets center before docking would initiate, similar to how jumping works.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2011-02-15 15:34 ]

id say most deff to this but at times things desynch and u may aligh but your ship isnt really alighned so u may get killed due to that = bad thing but its a really good idea

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-16 19:50   
Quote:

Quote:

Make them:

So it'd free up the planet to actually defend a planet? I kinda like that idea.

However, considering that SYs have been around since DS began, it couldn't be easy to rewrite the code that handles it. Plus you'd have to make a model for it. But seeing this giant structure smack dab in the middle of a massive planetary cluster is a cool idea .

So, interesting idea that's nigh impossible to implement.

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-16 20:22   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 19:50, Reznor wrote:
However, considering that SYs have been around since DS began...

I do believe, my dear, that they have not.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-16 21:21   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 19:50, Reznor wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Make them:

So it'd free up the planet to actually defend a planet? I kinda like that idea.

However, considering that SYs have been around since DS began, it couldn't be easy to rewrite the code that handles it. Plus you'd have to make a model for it. But seeing this giant structure smack dab in the middle of a massive planetary cluster is a cool idea .

So, interesting idea that's nigh impossible to implement.

Yes, the problem is the code. I believe either Jack or Draf once told me about how plats are regarded as ships, and the issue of whether a ship entity can spawn another ship.

Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-02-16 21:23   
Quote:

I'm thinking more along the lines of a docking corridor that comes with every SY.

The SY is located on the planet's surface, and any ship that wants to dock should be within a cone that reaches out up to 250gu from the structure. Ships that undock will also appear within this cone.

That way we can still keep the blockade at a low percentage, say 50%. Any ship that undocks will appear within that cone, and the enemy/attacking force can position their ships to intercept and fire upon any ship that undocks and appear there.

You can also set criteria for these conditions.
Eg:
Below 75% you can still undock, but can't dock. Make sense since you can't line yourself up for an approach if the area is under attack.
Below 50%, you can't undock or dock.

These plats can appear larger than the existing plats (station sized maybe) and take thrice as long to build (more costly in terms of resources).

Just keep the implementation simple. Nothing fancy like many modules to make an SY, or needing 2 or more engis to build, etc etc.

What you propose would only start a whole new exploit : Kenny Naboo and comrades sitting on top of SY corridor cone waiting for ships to spawn while you blast them to kingdom come before they can even fire back.

Bad idea, very bad.

Spawn points are assigned at different points around the planet, as they should be.

I agree With Jade Darkwolf, simple medium of 50% capture rate kicks in the blockade.

Also, remember it was discussed in a whole different thread that historically blockades were meant to keep resources from getting into a port, as opposed to preventing docked ships from coming out and engaging the ships of the blockade. What else would you expect a docked ship to do when they are being starved out???

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021192 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR