- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » DONT BE FOOLED! (P.S. - I'm still playing)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author DONT BE FOOLED! (P.S. - I'm still playing)
Saphirako
Fleet Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-02-16 18:15   
Hi all, if any of you are in my normal shift on DS, that is i see you regularly and are wondering why I'm not on and haven't been on, its due to a horribly annoying virus which i contracted from a website. Yes some would call me a noob for having Windows XP and not a Mac of Windows7 or Ubuntu or Linux, but i don't and that's that... Anyway... I contracted a very sneaky virus which without my knowledge went without detection from Avast, and got stuck on my computer... the virus: Antivirus.NET a fake annoying thing that I can't get rid of. the only solution is to wipe the drive... Point is, i will be rejoining you, my comrades of the ICC soon. I have not left! Just got a horrible virus... I should be rejoining you before the end of the month. Quick shout out to FTL, Thanks for staying in even though I've been gone! I really appreciate it and it's really awesome of you! See y'all in the MV sometime...

Painfulangel
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 18:33   
is your sig an auroura classed battle ship from stargate: Alantis

Saphirako
Fleet Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-02-16 18:34   
Why yes it is

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-16 19:39   
Is that the virus that "pretends" to be antivirus software?

I've gotten that one before. It's litterally impossible to get it off. It says every file and applications (Including browser and antivirus) is "infected" and it tries to get you to buy thier software.

It even managed to corrupt safe mode so it wouldn't start...I just hate people that make those .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Saphirako
Fleet Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-02-16 20:16   
You and me both Renzor, you and me both... I got rid of the Thinkpoint version... that one was the first version... then it could worse... lol i need a better comouetr and i need to dualbot it to ubuntu or linux...

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-16 21:28   

You coulda just taken out the HDD from your PC, attached it to a USB cradle/interface/casing then copied out your important files, folders/data.

Then reformat and reinstall the damned thing completely.

Sometimes, trust me... troubleshooting is pointless.

One tip: Split your drive into at least 2 partitions.

C: = System Partition, D drive and more for your data and apps. So if your Window goes belly up, you only need to reformat C Drive and not worry about the rest of your stuff.

Another tip. When you reformat your PC and have reinstalled all the basic drivers, you can try using ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE or NORTON GHOST to create yourself a Day 1 image of your System Partition. Store that image on a portable drive or the other partitions.

Again, if your Windows goes belly up, you can simply restore that OS image in as little as 10 minutes using a boot disk or Boot CD. You don't need to spend a couple of hours reinstalling Windows and all the drivers. That's painful.

You only need to make a new Day 1 image when you upgrade your hardware.

Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-02-16 22:00   
LOL, had that same virus 4-5 days ago, been about 8 years since I last had one.

Found I had 2-3 seconds at boot up to bring task manager up nd cancel the loading of the virus. Then you could manually load Norton and it sorted it out.

If you miss that 2-3 second window task manager wont load and there is nothing else you seem to be able to do.

That PC sits out on the patio streaming movies to a poolside TV. It was about one reboot from going for a swim when I finally sorted it out.

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-16 22:40   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 21:28, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

You coulda just taken out the HDD from your PC, attached it to a USB cradle/interface/casing then copied out your important files, folders/data.

Then reformat and reinstall the damned thing completely.

Sometimes, trust me... troubleshooting is pointless.

One tip: Split your drive into at least 2 partitions.

C: = System Partition, D drive and more for your data and apps. So if your Window goes belly up, you only need to reformat C Drive and not worry about the rest of your stuff.

Another tip. When you reformat your PC and have reinstalled all the basic drivers, you can try using ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE or NORTON GHOST to create yourself a Day 1 image of your System Partition. Store that image on a portable drive or the other partitions.

Again, if your Windows goes belly up, you can simply restore that OS image in as little as 10 minutes using a boot disk or Boot CD. You don't need to spend a couple of hours reinstalling Windows and all the drivers. That's painful.

You only need to make a new Day 1 image when you upgrade your hardware.

I've had viruses jump hardrives before. It copied a piece of it over, and redownloaded itself when I booted up that HD. Not sure if that antivirus virus can do that, I was putting off a reformat, so I just went ahead and nuked it all.

Shame that that "New XP" smell goes away after the second restart, and the registry get's all gunked up .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-16 23:43   

It could also be plain ol' malware. Some of these suckers will put some kinda hidden executable on yr other drive along with an autorun.inf

So try not to double click on the other drive to open it. U might trigger it. Instead, right click and explore instead.

One useful tool would be MBAM. Google it.
HijackThis is useful too.

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-17 00:07   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 19:39, Reznor wrote:
Is that the virus that "pretends" to be antivirus software?

I've gotten that one before. It's litterally impossible to get it off. It says every file and applications (Including browser and antivirus) is "infected" and it tries to get you to buy thier software.

It even managed to corrupt safe mode so it wouldn't start...I just hate people that make those .

hey guys therse this magical invention its called a external hardrive.

anyway you can get software for it to just copy your hold computer place it on the external harddrive and the only place those files can upload again is your computer.

think about it

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-17 05:57   
When manually killing viruses, I find that safe mode, MSConfig, and judicious use of "view hidden files and folders" work wonders.

For the uninitiated, MSconfig is a fantastic piece of software that lets you disable programs and services that would otherwise normally start up without permanently editing your registry, which means that if you disable something important by accident you can recover it again.

I'm limited on time, but if you open up the "run" dialogue box (I believe the shortcut is Win + R) and enter "msconfig" it'll run the program. You can then go into the "startup" and "services" tabs and untick any suspicious-looking programs. Reboot, hunt down the executable that's causing problems, and you're often sorted.

Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-02-17 10:52   
Quote:

On 2011-02-17 05:57, Gejaheline wrote:
When manually killing viruses, I find that safe mode, MSConfig, and judicious use of "view hidden files and folders" work wonders.

For the uninitiated, MSconfig is a fantastic piece of software that lets you disable programs and services that would otherwise normally start up without permanently editing your registry, which means that if you disable something important by accident you can recover it again.

I'm limited on time, but if you open up the "run" dialogue box (I believe the shortcut is Win + R) and enter "msconfig" it'll run the program. You can then go into the "startup" and "services" tabs and untick any suspicious-looking programs. Reboot, hunt down the executable that's causing problems, and you're often sorted.

i manige to kill 3 of them because of my stupid sister

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles
Leader of the Exathra Alliance Fleet.

Email Xavier I. Agamemnon   Goto the website of Xavier I. Agamemnon
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-17 19:33   
Quote:

On 2011-02-17 10:52, _Agamemnon =CO= wrote:
Quote:

I wonder what your sister has been up to...
Shiny links, scams maybe?
Anyone over 12 should really be able to spot a suspicious pop up or dangerous site.

Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-02-17 20:18   
Quote:

On 2011-02-17 19:33, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-17 10:52, _Agamemnon =CO= wrote:
Quote:

I wonder what your sister has been up to...
Shiny links, scams maybe?
Anyone over 12 should really be able to spot a suspicious pop up or dangerous site.

there not that smart.

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles
Leader of the Exathra Alliance Fleet.

Email Xavier I. Agamemnon   Goto the website of Xavier I. Agamemnon
Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-17 23:16   
Quote:

I think i got this Anti-virus virus a while back and this is how i got rid of it, it might have been a different virus I forget but is was an epic pain none the less. The limitless searching through Google for intelligent and legible instructions on how to remove it followed by the endless off/on cycles. It is truly the definition of a waking nightmare.

At times like this i get out my old iBook and start to beat it mercilessly with a hammer before making another attempt. Something about beating overpriced under performing hardware with a recalled fire bomb for a battery makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Then again that could be the feeling coming from the frayed open charging cord, I cant tell anymore.

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021462 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR