No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Language Issues
 Author Language Issues
P2.
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-04-25 08:11   
I'm tired of players who complain because we speak a language other than English during the game, threatening to report the breach of the Rules of Conduct.

I want one of those who complain, explain clearly, in which sections of the Rules of Conduct says that the only language is English.

Change the Rules of Conduct or shut up and do not complain more.

! It's different, request speak the same language to coordinate.!

Email P2.
$milingJ35te|2™{=21st=}[R33HG]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-25 09:12   
I can see your frustration after reviewing the RoCs i cant find any rule in specific to this situation that states that english is the only spoken language of the game.
below i have posted section 3.2.2 that states quite clearly that "Misunderstandings due to language (and cultural) barriers are not only possible, but are very common."

also under venue specific behavior there states no regulation that a player must speak english.
I would take it with a grain of salt and explain to the player that its easier for you to communicate with your friends and that if he would like a message relayed you would be happy to send one to them on the players behalf. Else if the player is in fact threatening you then i would bring the issue up to a staff member to handle and investigate.

this game is meant to be fun so go out there and enjoy the game
hope this helped answer your question.

-jester

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 08:11, P2_1956 wrote:
I'm tired of players who complain because we speak a language other than English during the game, threatening to report the breach of the Rules of Conduct.

I want one of those who complain, explain clearly, in which sections of the Rules of Conduct says that the only language is English.

Change the Rules of Conduct or shut up and do not complain more.

! It's different, request speak the same language to coordinate.!

3.2.2 Language Issues
Misunderstandings due to language (and cultural) barriers are not only possible, but are very common.
DarkSpace Players and Staff live in several different countries and speak different languages. This problem is aggravated when the speaker is under duress, under the effects of heightened emotions, in a hurry, or in a tense situation. Under these circumstances, if what the speaker says seems offensive, ask him or her for clarification before taking offense. Chances are, the extra time afforded will allow the speaker to clearly re-think his or her words and clarify what he or she is trying to convey. Always remember these three virtues: patience, tolerance, and understanding.
When faced with language constructs that you do not understand, ask other native speakers of the language in question to translate and/or explain the usage context.
Sometimes colloquialisms (local idioms and other dialectic jargon) may seem to be offensive, but may not actually be so. If in doubt, ask. There is no shame in ignorance; only in remaining so.
Since the chat room has a profanity filter, warnings to Players (and kick/bans) need to be limited to excessive use (spamming and/or abuse directed at another Player).
The chat room profanity filter protects others from seeing offending words, not the speaker. The speaker sees what he or she types as it was typed. If a Player asks what a filtered word means (who may most likely be a minor), just tell them it's a cuss word, nothing more. In other words, play it down.
At no time should a Staff member use harsh or vulgar language in any DarkSpace Communication facility.
This is especially important while on duty and when helping other participants.
Lists of banned words/phrases for each language will be generated and given to PaleStar for the profanity filters in the chat room.
In addition, the lists will be made available to Moderators so that they can recognize the words in the forums and in-game, neither of which are utilizing chat filters at present.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-04-25 09:14   
Our standing is as follows:

Absolutely no profanity in any language, full stop. Players should only report another player if they suspect they are breaking the rules, but not due to the fact they are speaking another language. If you suspect a player is swearing, insulting or attempting to harass you, but in a language you don't understand, by all means report them.

English is the preferred language due to the fact that this is mainly an English-only marketed game, and that we also have a largly English-only speaking moderation team.

There is absolutely nothing specifically against speaking another language, although we hope in the interest of co-operation, ease of communication, and helping the moderation team, all players will attempt to speak English at all times when possible.

As stated above, issues caused by language barriers are not only possible, but very common, especially in this day-in-age.

- Jack
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2011-04-25 09:35 ]

P2.
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:12   
Quote:

On 2011-04-25 09:14, BackSlash wrote:
Our standing is as follows:

Absolutely no profanity in any language, full stop. Players should only report another player if they suspect they are breaking the rules, but not due to the fact they are speaking another language. If you suspect a player is swearing, insulting or attempting to harass you, but in a language you don't understand, by all means report them.

English is the preferred language due to the fact that this is mainly an English-only marketed game, and that we also have a largly English-only speaking moderation team.

There is absolutely nothing specifically against speaking another language, although we hope in the interest of co-operation, ease of communication, and helping the moderation team, all players will attempt to speak English at all times when possible.

As stated above, issues caused by language barriers are not only possible, but very common, especially in this day-in-age.

- Jack
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2011-04-25 09:35 ]

Thank you Backslash.

Is the answer, i needed.

Of course, for the good understanding i try to write in english.

Email P2.
Page created in 0.008748 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR