No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » New Reactive Shields
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Reactive Shields
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-05-24 15:13   
Wow. They're actually viable for use now on something larger than a Frigate, though I still wouldn't think they'd be very good on a DN/Station because of the lower HP. I can still see them easily being used on even Cruisers now.

The only potential issue I can think of is will that 20% resistance stack on a Border Cruiser using 2 layers of Reactives? As amusing as it would be to have 40% resist to everything but EMP and ELF, that would basically make it invincible beyond 300 GU or so.

Ok, I've been told by a staff member that it doesn't stack so all around good for this.
[ This Message was edited by: Talien on 2011-05-24 17:17 ]

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-05-24 19:15   
so can u still swap out shields gens for auxilary gens? ive seen it where u could remove say 2 shield rings (gens) and add 2 auxilary gens which makes it hard to hull cause you can turn on deffence mode and not run out of power. And then add all defence enhancements makes one tuff shroom. btw not complaining just curious.

Died~2000~Deaths

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-05-24 19:49   
It's aux shields or aux reactors, you can't swap regular shields for aux reactors.

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-05-24 19:53   
Quote:

On 2011-05-24 19:49, Talien wrote:
It's aux shields or aux reactors, you can't swap regular shields for aux reactors.

wasn't sure of the correct names but ty for clearing that up for me but i think u know what i mean.ne how can u still swap aux shields or aux reactors ?

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-05-24 20:11   
Aux shields are worthless, there is no reason to use them over an aux reactor. They only cover 1 arc which you can't choose, and are extremely weak, even weaker than reactives.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-24 21:35   
it appears like the resistances are fliped. In a HC a parasite fired its beams and shields droped like a rock, when its elfs hit shields droped only slightly

Email *FTL*Soulless
Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-24 21:52   
Talien, i have yet to go on and check these new shields. can you give me a brief run down of what i should expect and what to look out for?

We are the Falix Brothers...

Dakili
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-24 22:15   
They have less hp but sighly more resistance and they use less energy. Its perfect for small ships that can dodge and can take a few hits without havin energy issues.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-05-24 22:31   
Basically they're a bit more resistant to most damage, only thing to watch for is EMP, which (I think) includes Flux. I tested Border Cruiser against a Torpedo Cruiser earlier and the shields easily kept up with the damage until I got to around 100 GU then the shields dropped quick.

@Soulless
Reactives aren't really meant to be used in close combat since they have such low HP so that's probably why a Parasite tore them up. Beams will still punch through them easily, especially Disruptors since you can't just move away into falloff range to avoid some of the damage like with CL/HCL.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-05-24 22:54   
actually, once a beam is fired, damage is applied for falloff for that distance from tgt through duration of the activation.

Closing distance, or opening distance has no affect on falloff once beam has been fired...

at least that was my interpretation from the code. I could be wrong. Some hidden subroutine that I overlooked.

Dakili
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-24 23:40   
Think your right on that one defiance. But it doesnt matter for disruptor since theres no falloff

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-05-25 06:04   
Quote:

On 2011-05-24 22:54, Defiance*XO* wrote:
actually, once a beam is fired, damage is applied for falloff for that distance from tgt through duration of the activation.

Closing distance, or opening distance has no affect on falloff once beam has been fired...

at least that was my interpretation from the code. I could be wrong. Some hidden subroutine that I overlooked.

You mean that the damage is applied to the target at the moment of firing or impact (no diff for beams since they're insta-hit), and not incrementally over the duration of the beams' activation?

If you rotated your ship until the beam arc was no longer valid, it would make no diff? If you moved away or towards the target it would also make no diff?

Can a Dev clarify this?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-05-25 06:08 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-05-25 06:29   
Damage is applied over a beams duration, like a steady stream of damage. Falloff removes damage equal to the amount we have set in the weapon file at the specified falloff range. This is then lessened depending on how long the beam is (therefor increasing damage).

EMP and ELF don't do anywhere near the damage that normal beams do. For this reason, even though they have 20% increased damage against Reflective, they will still do less in most cases (ELF and EMP have no falloff).

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-25 10:07   
Doesn't really answer the question though. During the beam's duration, will changing distance affect the damage? Will turning the ship so that the beam's arc is no longer valid, but the beam still appears to be firing, affect the damage?

Or is the total damage determined at the moment of firing, and can only be stopped if the target moves out of beam range?

Personally I've always thought the former, that if a ship hits you with a beam at point blank range while you're moving away you'll take gradually less and less damage.
[ This Message was edited by: General Zod on 2011-05-25 10:08 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-05-25 10:15   
Quote:

On 2011-05-25 10:07, General Zod wrote:
Doesn't really answer the question though. During the beam's duration, will changing distance affect the damage? Will turning the ship so that the beam's arc is no longer valid, but the beam still appears to be firing, affect the damage?

Or is the total damage determined at the moment of firing, and can only be stopped if the target moves out of beam range?

Personally I've always thought the former, that if a ship hits you with a beam at point blank range while you're moving away you'll take gradually less and less damage.

It answered it fine, I would suggest reading it again. Firing arc's only control when a beam can be fired, not what direction it can only do damage in.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.049599 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR