No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » eccm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author eccm
Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-05-27 08:16   
Quote:

On 2011-05-27 08:10, Gejaheline wrote:

Why yes, I am a fan of being able to lock onto targets, because trying to fight whilst manually targeting requires approximately three hands and godlike aiming skills, as anyone whom has attempted to shoot at an ECM scout will attest to.

As an ICC player you'd need 4 hands :/

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-05-27 09:31   
Quote:

On 2011-05-27 08:10, Gejaheline wrote:
Beacons don't explicitly find cloaked ships.

A cloaked ship getting hit by a beacon will feel no immediate ill effects; they will not be decloaked, no will the beacon reveal their position.

Beacons are the near-equivalent of a very powerful ECCM which can affect only 1 target. When they hit a cloaked ship, they immediately raise its signature by 20, which takes around 5-10 seconds to be countered by the cloak. Because it can raise the signature, and therefore automatically enable targeting, it explicitly finds ships for a short time, not to mention increasing the cloak time and reducing our first strike advantage.

Quote:

That's because when K'luth ships are cloaked it's difficult to focus enough gunfire on them to kill them, whereas targets that are currently active and attacking are a) higher threats and b) actually hittable.

When you engage a K'Luth one of the two happens - you get hulled, and die or flee; or you hull the K'Luth and he cloaks or flees.
If he cloaks, you should continue pursuing him because he is weak at the given time, but will continuously regain health. Logically, if your enemies can heal, you should prioritise killing the weak ones over defending allies from the strong ones, because you cannot heal as fast as them. But once you kill some of them, their effective total regeneration reduces, thereby weakening their advantage.

Quote:

Killing a K'luth ship is also difficult because they can heal themselves at a surprising rate, will typically be a dreadnaught, and because a ship that can kill a K'luth ship quickly will not be able to detect them and vice versa, meaning that to kill a K'luth ship you typically need two ships; a detector and a fighter. Inevitably, the detector will be a light ship that K'luth excel at killing due to their main weapons never missing and their ability to only engage when in an optimal position.

Blindfire, which is possible on all cannon and beam ships, frigate and onwards. This is one reason why I oppose blindfire - it lets the fighter be able to indefinitely and frequently detect what he should not have been able to detect, and also ends in the fighter not valuing the role of detectors.

Also, most new dreads have a basic level of EW capabilities, which lets them ping periodically to detect K'Luth.

Quote:

Why yes, I am a fan of being able to lock onto targets, because trying to fight whilst manually targeting requires approximately three hands and godlike aiming skills, as anyone whom has attempted to shoot at an ECM scout will attest to. Add to this the fact that, due to cloak, the target's position, heading and speed is unknown and you're basically reduced to randomly firing in all directions.

The K'Luth cloaked, and the other possible K'Luth are engaged by other possible ally ships. Who are you being coerced to fight? You are trying to reap some decisive benefit off the cloakee's non-combat condition. Yaw controls are also helpful if you want to have some rotation while manually firing on the cloakee.

Anyone who has tried to attack an ECM scout cannot make a valid attestment, because K'Luth do not have visible rings emanating from them, but are usually big (read : will typically be a dreadnaught) and cannot turn quickly. Both blindfire and pinging are effective against K'Luth, so that you can have an idea of their position. A scout is hard to hit even without ECM, and it can choose to jump away if you jump it, whereas a cloaked ship can't jump without decloaking, and will be subject to heavy damage and be typically forced to flee.

Quote:

Pinging when coupled with blind-firing may ostensibly be deadly (if you have a whole bunch of ships that can target accurately in the split-second the target's position is known), but pinging WITHOUT blind-firing is utterly useless.

"Fantastic, A K'luth ship is sneaking up behind me and is getting ready to kill me. My options are:
a) Turn around so that I can get shot in the side instead of the back, although odds are that the K'luth ship will just decline to decloak and reposition instead;
b) Jump away!"

Option a) merely delays the inevitable, option b) completely removes you from the fight. In fact, the entire fleet might as well just jump away since they can't do anything about the cloaked ship.

A whole bunch of ships will be likely to have almost a whole bunch of EW. If you're lucky, you'll have a utility ship in that bunch of ships which will be armed with more than 1 EW device (read : carrier dread, command carrier, command dread, and currently missile dread). Even if theres a whole bunch of K'Luth surrounding you, you can rather easily have someone perform a ping every 3 to 5 seconds and take the cloakees out, one by one (read again : EW devices take more power and have shorter cooldown than v1.5). If your 'fleet' comprises of only flagships, you deserve to be buried into an asteroid by the undetectable and scary K'Luth.

ECCM has a range of 700 on dreads, and smaller ships will be faster than the pursuer. You can easily ping every 36 seconds on a dread (during which a K'Luth dread will close in >only< a max of 540 gu but also spend time setting up attack vector, attack plans and whatnot). If you see the dread close by, and be lucky that he decides to change his vector because you turned, you will have a pleasant time blindfiring at it with your side weapons (which aren't bad on human ships) and either force him to decloak for attack while he was trying to reposition himself, or make him retreat. And in a mere 20 seconds, you will have another clue on where to fire.

Quote:

The first option there basically turns cloaking from invisibility to actual invincibility, and the second makes cloaking perfect and the first indication that a K'luth ship is present will typically be death or extreme damage.

Clarification - Nerf blindfire, as in "ok you are absolutely sure or atleast have a clue about where i am so go ahead and damage me, but if you don't know then you shouldn't be able to cluelessly fire, and receive a clue about my presence and position". I don't mind receiving extra damage while cloaked if it means that my position will not be compromised unless they have a device which can occasionally find me.

The first option means that you can't use blindfire to continuously determine my position after you used ping, and thus undermine ECCM's role after using it just once. The second is an option which my K'Luth teammates might like (I'm mostly fine with ping).

Quote:

Counterpoint: "Why should my highly sophisticated EM cloaking system that perfectly bends all radiation around me with no distortion allow me to see the outside world? Any light that would hit my sensors is going around me."

Counter-Counterpoint - How can I be damaged by lasers if my highly sophisticated EM cloaking system can perfectly bend radiation around me with no distortion? Obviously, they are either shooting me with cannons and using beams as a cover for the projectiles, or my highly sophisticated EM cloaking system does not work in the way that was suggested.

Maybe the system receives the radiation from one side, and emits it from the other side of my ship using energy-converting substances, methods and whatnot. Because it absorbs the radiation, I can request the absorbers to send signals to the bridge screen based on position of impact and nature of the radiation received, and translate it into hi-definition graphics.
But since my organic absorb-emit system has some organic absorption limits, can a high-power military laser not pierce through the system's absorption field and hit my hull?

Please. Nerf blindfire.

[ This Message was edited by: Brahmastra on 2011-05-27 09:32 ]

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-27 10:42   
like geja said already cloaked ship feel no affects of beacons. there is also a max of 3 that can be on any ship.

How can you presue a cloaked ship that is not a threat for a time when there is other uncloaked luth running about spamming beams at anybody in range? you come to ICC or UGTO and try to kill a weak cloaked luth when there is 2 others uncloaked trying to kill you.

Blind fire only works if you have some idea about the location of the cloaked ship

Blindfireing should be effective against luth because they are just invisable, all laws of physics still apply to them. They are not phased out (they are intanagible to normal things and invisable)

A whole fleet of ships should be safe from luth.....like when ICC had more people it was sucide for a lone luth to take that on. Hints Wolf packs

ECCM has a range of 400 Gus ONLY

people only blindfire if they know there is a luth near by. Hints pinging. Blindfiring also only works if you have an idea of the direction the luth is going

Counterpoint: why would your lightbending work against CHEMICAL based lasers

Email *FTL*Soulless
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-05-27 12:29   
There is no range increase on ECCM with larger ships, it is a set range of 400 GU with only the power AND cooldown, and I think also energy use (correct me if I'm wrong) increasing with larger ships. The most effective way to make use of ECCM with the current setup is have the larger ships (Cruisers/Dreadnoughts) run it constantly to keep sig up and make it take longer for cloak to compensate while Scouts and Frigates ping with their lower cooldown.

µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-27 12:53   
Hmm i think people are forgetting what ecm and eccm means

Electronic counter measures/electronic counter counter measures

that being stated i suggest they shouldn't effect the cloak at all what they should do is cause a ship to become untargetable to auto target and counter that while also adding defenses against missiles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Scanners should be the only device that can detect cloaking ships cause it sweeps an area not a spherical pulse like currently or the ping on subs. i would much rather see something like my pic above added to the game than the ripple effect that is currently in game.

I also think that there should be a sensor mini map that shows you where targets are(even cloaked targets) instead of auto pointing to them would make the game more real.

[ This Message was edited by: µOmniVore on 2011-05-27 12:56 ]

Email µOmniVore
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-28 05:14   
Quote:
Beacons are the near-equivalent of a very powerful ECCM which can affect only 1 target. When they hit a cloaked ship, they immediately raise its signature by 20, which takes around 5-10 seconds to be countered by the cloak. Because it can raise the signature, and therefore automatically enable targeting, it explicitly finds ships for a short time, not to mention increasing the cloak time and reducing our first strike advantage.

First strike has nothing to do with beacons, as unless you are the most paranoid person in the world you aren't gonna randomly ping and spot luth coming towards you in a time of relative peace.
They are also fired from a scout. New Assault Disruptors >>> Scout.

Quote:

When you engage a K'Luth one of the two happens - you get hulled, and die or flee; or you hull the K'Luth and he cloaks or flees.
If he cloaks, you should continue pursuing him because he is weak at the given time, but will continuously regain health. Logically, if your enemies can heal, you should prioritise killing the weak ones over defending allies from the strong ones, because you cannot heal as fast as them. But once you kill some of them, their effective total regeneration reduces, thereby weakening their advantage.

The Kluth is hulled and cloaks and tries to flee.
1. The kluth will be evading at least half of the blind fire shots fired at him if he is a good pilot. While you are firing half your shots into empty space the other uncloaked kluth are firing all of their shots into your ship. Either way one group of kluth covers the other.

2. If you hull the kluth chances are he hulled you too. If you try to pursue some of his friends would love to gank you.

Quote:

Blindfire, which is possible on all cannon and beam ships, frigate and onwards. This is one reason why I oppose blindfire - it lets the fighter be able to indefinitely and frequently detect what he should not have been able to detect, and also ends in the fighter not valuing the role of detectors.

Also, most new dreads have a basic level of EW capabilities, which lets them ping periodically to detect K'Luth.

UGTO Dreads with ECCM:
BD, Carrier Dread (which if you use against kluth you're stupid), and Command Dread.
Best UGTO Dread vs Kluth:
EAD.

The fleet must choose either limited pinging or firepower if you are to use only large ships(which is implied by your statement of new dreads having EW capacities).

It does allow people to see where you are. But if you are in a situation where blind-fire can actually kill you you should have jumped out in the first place, just like other factions.

Quote:

The K'Luth cloaked, and the other possible K'Luth are engaged by other possible ally ships. Who are you being coerced to fight? You are trying to reap some decisive benefit off the cloakee's non-combat condition. Yaw controls are also helpful if you want to have some rotation while manually firing on the cloakee.

Anyone who has tried to attack an ECM scout cannot make a valid attestment, because K'Luth do not have visible rings emanating from them, but are usually big (read : will typically be a dreadnaught) and cannot turn quickly. Both blindfire and pinging are effective against K'Luth, so that you can have an idea of their position. A scout is hard to hit even without ECM, and it can choose to jump away if you jump it, whereas a cloaked ship can't jump without decloaking, and will be subject to heavy damage and be typically forced to flee.

Provided kluth gets the first strike advantage they can gank at least one enemy before the enemy can react. People focus fire to take enemies out of action quicker, and if the kluth cloaks then it is in your best interest to focus fire on the other kluth to make them retreat as well. You may get a kill but the cloaked ship was already out of action, thus the advantage is moot.

Quote:

A whole bunch of ships will be likely to have almost a whole bunch of EW. If you're lucky, you'll have a utility ship in that bunch of ships which will be armed with more than 1 EW device (read : carrier dread, command carrier, command dread, and currently missile dread). Even if theres a whole bunch of K'Luth surrounding you, you can rather easily have someone perform a ping every 3 to 5 seconds and take the cloakees out, one by one (read again : EW devices take more power and have shorter cooldown than v1.5). If your 'fleet' comprises of only flagships, you deserve to be buried into an asteroid by the undetectable and scary K'Luth.

ECCM has a range of 700 on dreads, and smaller ships will be faster than the pursuer. You can easily ping every 36 seconds on a dread (during which a K'Luth dread will close in >only< a max of 540 gu but also spend time setting up attack vector, attack plans and whatnot). If you see the dread close by, and be lucky that he decides to change his vector because you turned, you will have a pleasant time blindfiring at it with your side weapons (which aren't bad on human ships) and either force him to decloak for attack while he was trying to reposition himself, or make him retreat. And in a mere 20 seconds, you will have another clue on where to fire.

Ima point out a certain statement:
"A whole bunch of ships will be likely to have almost a whole bunch of EW. If you're lucky, you'll have a utility ship in that bunch of ships which will be armed with more than 1 EW device (read : carrier dread, command carrier, command dread, and currently missile dread)."

-Carrier Dread in beta has 1 EW I believe, and in both versions if you are a carrier within 400 gu of a kluth dread you're screwed.
-You should be happy there is a Command Carrier within 400 gu of your ship. He can ping to see you rip his ship into bits.
-Command dread might be a threat, but it has horrible torpedo arcs.
-Again, a missile dread within 400 gu of a kluth dread is screwed. Royally. Especially when minimum firing distance is more than 400 gu. Also a MD would almost never get eccm to make his missiles more visible.

1. If you are surrounded by kluth they will decloak and rip you to shreds. They aren't gonna just take the blind fire. This also doesn't apply before the first strike as unless you are super paranoid you aren't gonna ping right when the kluth fleet is 400 gu from you.
2. The optimal kluth fleet is all dreads. Period. So should the kluth fleet be screwed too? (small ships are near useless as they provide less firepower, less armor, and kluth aren't suited to the twisty combat that a GB/CD/BC/HC is used for.)

3. I believe ECCM ranges were nerfed to the ground. From Dev logs:
- Changed ECM/ECCM energy drain, strength, range, and cooldown:
* Energy cost now increases per level, instead of a flat constant.
* Strength has been increased slightly per level.
* Range for both ECM and ECCM have been lowered from 500 to 200 and 1000 to 400, respectively.
* Cooldown is now 6 seconds per ship hull level.
This means you can only ping the kluth when he is in his optimal ranges.

Quote:

Clarification - Nerf blindfire, as in "ok you are absolutely sure or atleast have a clue about where i am so go ahead and damage me, but if you don't know then you shouldn't be able to cluelessly fire, and receive a clue about my presence and position". I don't mind receiving extra damage while cloaked if it means that my position will not be compromised unless they have a device which can occasionally find me.

The first option means that you can't use blindfire to continuously determine my position after you used ping, and thus undermine ECCM's role after using it just once. The second is an option which my K'Luth teammates might like (I'm mostly fine with ping).

It takes skill to have blind fire land more than around 30% of your shots against a good kluth pilot. I've personally have only seen a few players who have uber blind fire skills. You basically want ships to be undetectable without ping, meaning even kluth stations can sneak up on you although you know his presence...

Quote:

Counter-Counterpoint - How can I be damaged by lasers if my highly sophisticated EM cloaking system can perfectly bend radiation around me with no distortion? Obviously, they are either shooting me with cannons and using beams as a cover for the projectiles, or my highly sophisticated EM cloaking system does not work in the way that was suggested.

Maybe the system receives the radiation from one side, and emits it from the other side of my ship using energy-converting substances, methods and whatnot. Because it absorbs the radiation, I can request the absorbers to send signals to the bridge screen based on position of impact and nature of the radiation received, and translate it into hi-definition graphics.
But since my organic absorb-emit system has some organic absorption limits, can a high-power military laser not pierce through the system's absorption field and hit my hull?

Perhaps the light-bending system can't bend the concentrated, more powerful, chemically enhanced lasers? Thus they pierce? We can theory craft for a long time on this subject.

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-28 11:11   
just 2 points.

one there was an idea i believed was going to be implemented as a new luth tracking system based soley on the beam tracking system. just a small lowerpowered higly visible beam that you fire upon the now cloaking luth ship and it allows players to fire at teh beam collision.

also 2nd iv only seen luth dying while attacking fleets of 5+ at a planet.

except now that alot of vets have come back to luth i believe the issue is moot and support for the removal of ECCM or blind fire reduction wil be quickly lost... these guys are good and remind why i hate luth so much, oh so very much.

We are the Falix Brothers...

Gerlach
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-28 17:39   
I know cloak has been nerfed several times, but don't forget ECCM has been hit as well and that was just a few months ago. 400gu range is all you need to know. Beacons are slow and short ranged, and dangerous only while cloaking. Also the only ship that mounts them is a freaking corvete.
So a ship that is trying to ping/beacon you is already within your effective range and in great danger. If you are not satisfied with this, get more ECM cover. There is a point where with enough ECM ping doesn't work anymore. And if you are STILL not satisfied enough, use a cruiser, those are impossible to hit with blindfire.

BTW I would really like to know whos was the brilliat idea to take beacons and one EW slot away from escort destroyer. It's a defensive ship after all. I would prefer to have a beacon on it, even if it would mean losing some lasers.

And Brahmastra, if you really think bringing a command, carrier or misslie class ship into a fight with K'Luth is a good idea, then I suggest you to stick to K'Luth and never jump factions.
VS UGTO you will most likely fight stations and EADs, both terrible in electronic warfare. VS ICC, it will be cruisers. They can ping you often, but they also can't kill you and you can force them to retreat with just a few alphas.
[ Corrected the bacon Thernhoghas. ]
[ This Message was edited by: Gerlach on 2011-05-29 01:04 ]

\"I'M HEAVY METAL \\m/>_<\\m/ !!\"

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-05-28 20:14   
Quote:

Bacons are slow and short ranged,.....

I was waiting hours for someone to make that typo xD

Grmm
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-29 02:05   

Put on some swim trunks, run through some really nasty bramble. There is no end in sight! We can then talk about "pretend cloak" and it's relationship to "pretend clothing".

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-29 14:27   
So am I the only one that pings and presses E and spacebar over and over, and yet STILL can't land an alpha?

They pop up, but nothing shoots....EVER.

And then when I play luth, as a dessie no less, I get pinged and they have enough time to alpha me...TWICE.

I need to invest in fiber optics internet I guess >.> .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-29 19:01   
with beam-sweaping, it'll take 2 beams to cover the close area around yourself, half-circle to the left, and one to the right and then you have an idea, where the luth are around you
and since almost all luth fly slow dreads, you can be sure, that he'll be there for the next few seconds, so you can blindfire an alpha or two at em

no need for eccms at all, if you know there is one luth

i already said some time ago, that beam-sweaping should be considered "a bug"

------------------------
beacons raise the sig by a small amount if they hit anything
a luth ship,while being cloaked, hit by a beacon drop out of it for a few seconds, enough to target it and shoot some additional beacons at it (or an alpha strike)
when i play human, i use this all the time (fire a volley of beacons at a fixed point while passing by easily hitting a luth near me)

------------------------
also some time ago i think someone of the dev-team said in beta "you shouldn't have to wait for the sig to be back at normal level, before you can shoot" ( i think it was backslash)

i remember the time, when ds became free2play, and many inactive ones became active again
at that time, many players regularly played online and there were some nice big battles on. it was also the time, when way too may players had their eccm active, and decloaking took ages before you can do anything

something like this get even worse, now that you cant recloak when you realise that your decloak-time take to long

--------------------------
so my request:
-either improve cloak, so i can do something, after i decloak (eg flee, when my disguise is broken) without waiting for ages
- or add a fixed decloak-time
- or make detecting luth-ships more difficult
- or change cloak into something like this:
-- when you cloak, your ship gets invisible after x sec ( eg (hull-lvl) * 2 + (current sig) /10)
-- when hit from eccm, ship gets visible for x secs ( eg (hull-lvl) + (current sig) / 10 sec )
-- your sig display still show the normal sig
-- decloaking take x sec ( eg (hull-lvl) sec )

NoBo

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-05-29 20:55   
Quote:

On 2011-05-29 19:01, NoBoDx wrote:
so my request:
-either improve cloak, so i can do something, after i decloak (eg flee, when my disguise is broken) without waiting for ages

I remember having a chat with either Jack or Shig some time back. He told me that you're supposed to be able to fire almost immediately after decloak, regardless of the ECCM activity in the area.

ECCM is supposed to artifically raise your sig so that cloaking takes time. So something may still be broken.

Logically speaking, once your ship is decloaked, you should be able to fire. Doesn't make sense to have the ship reach some sort of default sig level before it can fire.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-05-30 04:05   
Quote:

On 2011-05-29 20:55, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

so my request:

I remember having a chat with either Jack or Shig some time back. He told me that you're supposed to be able to fire almost immediately after decloak, regardless of the ECCM activity in the area.

ECCM is supposed to artifically raise your sig so that cloaking takes time. So something may still be broken.

Logically speaking, once your ship is decloaked, you should be able to fire. Doesn't make sense to have the ship reach some sort of default sig level before it can fire.

Right , we are told so. Anyway I would change 15 seconds into percentage. When cloak is activated, your sig shoulds drop to 0 and ship is becoming invisible slowly. When you hit 100% , no eccm should effect you. In this way, you still give achance to enemy fire on kluth before they disappear because their tails on fire

Fatal Perihelion
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2011-05-30 06:32   
Quote:

with beam-sweaping, it'll take 2 beams to cover the close area around yourself, half-circle to the left, and one to the right and then you have an idea, where the luth are around you
and since almost all luth fly slow dreads, you can be sure, that he'll be there for the next few seconds, so you can blindfire an alpha or two at em

no need for eccms at all, if you know there is one luth

i already said some time ago, that beam-sweaping should be considered "a bug"

NoBo

This is interesting, cause i tried this beam-sweaping and i never had any succes with it, i also never saw an allied player doing it so that it would help detecting a Kluth Dread.

-I dont want to give other keys to my beams, i need them all on one key to do most damage in case.

-I dont want to waste energy because soon i will need it.

-I dont have the time to sweap beams around, the Kluth Dread tries to move away and i am busy turning myself and firing guns and adjusting speed. Usaly the Kluth running, already is out of Beamrange anyway.

So: Sorry for going a little off topic but i would like to know if anyone has made other expierences with Beam-sweaping.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.028695 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR