No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Scanner Usage
 Author New Scanner Usage
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-26 01:40   
What if scanners could look through the enemy devices like how you can do with friendly targets? Maximum range could vary from about 500gu-1500gu. Only the ship with the scanner can look through the enemy ships' gadgets.

Currently I know not many large ships with scanners in Beta, so smaller scouting ships would be more attractive. These smaller scouting ships (like the UGTO Defence frig) would be used more, especially at the beginning of fights. Multiple scout ships might be used to scout faster, as one ship sifting through a Dread's layout takes a long time.

The main usage of these scout ships would proly be to see if he has Reactive/Active shields or in the case of UGTO whether he has Reflective/Standard/Ablative. Other uses would be to see the enemys' engines and/or a few weapons such as PSI/Plasma cannons or Particle/EMP Cannons.

This would also give another role to the scanner, as I currently believe they are only used rarely to look at planet layouts, find floating remains of ships (resources for the new Command Dread which can't mine), or finding asteroids in scenario.

I believe that this would add more strategy and battle preparation, as there is benefit to actually scouting/preparing for enemy forces rather than just jumping in and mashing the space bar.

EDIT: Even though you have the weapon in the "targeted box" when sifting through devices you cannot damage the device individually, though this might sound nice if not imbalanced.
[ This Message was edited by: SpaceAdmiral on 2011-05-26 01:42 ]

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-05-26 08:09   
I really like this idea.

It would give the scout ships much needed usefullness again and, as space already mentioned it would bring a totally new aspect to battle preparations.

but I think it might be quite complicated to implement it :/

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-05-26 08:58   
Sounds nice, and would make scanners more useful.....but the only downside is you'd get absolutely nothing for doing it, so I'd bet most people are not going to want to fly a Scout or Bomber just to sift through gadgets that may very well be changed by the time they go back to a SY, grab a combat ship, and return.

Though I'm sure there are a few people like me who would do it.

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-26 09:24   
it would also be nice to be able to destroy components.

say engines, gens, weapons etc so that smaller ships can help in Dread battles by destroying PSMs or targetting engines.
just throwing it out there.

i also like the idea of scout prep yet i dont see it being used that often should it be implemented.

my 2 cents

Edit: i dont mean to try hijack ur thread, just add uses.
and im aware you can allready target them yet you are unable to damage them, iv allways felt thisl bring in alot more team play, strong ships fighting to the death while little ones fight and cripple important systems whithin ships.

i do not support its use with luth tho. they uncloak bam, JD destroyed for 2 minutes. may cause unbalance but i doubt anyone will get a chance to target and destroy their cloak gen
[ This Message was edited by: Marius Falix on 2011-05-26 14:59 ]

We are the Falix Brothers...

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-26 09:28   
I agree with Falix. only the ship running the scanner should be able to target components. Could make it so shields and or armor have to be down first....kinda likt flux wave

Email *FTL*Soulless
Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-26 14:21   
ii do agree on this aswell, make sthe small ship deal an small, yet important blow to big ships

obviously the device cant simply die in 1 shot thou, some gadgets like engines will take a while befor going down, but others like Aux, ECM/ECCM could die more quickly.
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-05-26 17:44   
A major flaw I see is if gadgets are able to be targeted while armor/shields are still intact then it's OP, if armor/shields have to be down then it's pointless because hull doesn't last very long and it'd be easier to just blow them up, by the time you finish searching through the list of gadgets to find the one you want to take out the target will have likely jumped or died.

Scanners making you able to see what gadgets are on an enemy ship, sure. Being able to target and destroy them, not so much.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-26 18:29   
Quote:

On 2011-05-26 08:58, Talien wrote:
Sounds nice, and would make scanners more useful.....but the only downside is you'd get absolutely nothing for doing it, so I'd bet most people are not going to want to fly a Scout or Bomber just to sift through gadgets that may very well be changed by the time they go back to a SY, grab a combat ship, and return.

Though I'm sure there are a few people like me who would do it.

I believe some ships like the UGTO Defence frig is multi-purposed, it has beams for PD, 4 EW slots for ping/stealth, and if this gets through it will also have a scouting scanner. These ships would benefit the most, and bombers are usually brought along anyways when capping a planet.

It follows the same principle as a dico: no reward, but if done right huge benefit.

Also, since only the ship with the scanner can target gadgets, and since most scanner ships are tiny with little to no firepower, killing gadgets proly won't work. (Only scanner ship can target is to have an incentive for more scouts, instead of just 1 ship, but everyone seeing might not be a bad idea)

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-05-26 23:06   
Quote:

On 2011-05-26 17:44, Talien wrote:
A major flaw I see is if gadgets are able to be targeted while armor/shields are still intact then it's OP, if armor/shields have to be down then it's pointless because hull doesn't last very long and it'd be easier to just blow them up, by the time you finish searching through the list of gadgets to find the one you want to take out the target will have likely jumped or died.

Scanners making you able to see what gadgets are on an enemy ship, sure. Being able to target and destroy them, not so much.

Targetting and destroying specific subsystems?
Seems so Star Trekky to me. Bioscanners, subsystem scans, etc etc. Pffft. It's RADAR! Good enough that you have range and distance to calculate a lead on your target.

BTW, Isn't damage already done to gadgets that are mounted on a particular arc of a ship once it's been hit/hulled?

Page created in 0.020810 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR