Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » I wish any reply in forum is assigned number
 Author I wish any reply in forum is assigned number
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-31 01:37   
like vBulentin forum.

Since no post is assigned, the reader could not track the original post when reading a quote.

We have to roll the page to find the reply we are searching. It's difficult when the topic has many pages.

It's merely forum feature so it's not urgent. But it's best to have it.

It's just my wish.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-31 06:15   
and a search-fumction

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-05-31 07:50   
The site uses a very old version of phpBB and is missing many features of newer versions but it has been stated that the forum is highly integrated with the game and the rest of the website. Any update to the forum would require significant work to re-integrate it.

Updating the forums probably sits near the bottom of a pretty long to do list, maybe they will update the forums in honor of DS2's release but I wouldn't expect anything before then.

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-31 09:10   
two weeks time my friend

apate
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-31 17:02   
Quote:

On 2011-05-31 09:10, *Obsidian Shadow* wrote:
two weeks time my friend

Tehe..

Email apate
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-31 18:35   
Quote:

On 2011-05-31 06:15, NoBoDx wrote:
and a search-fumction

ummm, look to the right of this thread. You will see a big white box, above it you will see spelled out in tiny yet legible text. It says "S E A R C H" .....

Just sayin'......

oh, btw. Don't bother using it to search for previously threaded posts on what you want to add. People get the redass when you res old posts. I guess it is more for looking for info than for adding to previous "dead" posts.

I can not tell you what a "dead" post is, or what thread's expiration date is. It seems to be whatever arbitrary number that the viewing forum mod feels at the moment.
[ This Message was edited by: Azreal (Ret) on 2011-05-31 18:38 ]

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-31 18:40   
Its more a matter of how relevant the thread still is; if there's content in there that's still valid, there's no problem resurrecting. If there's mostly outdated information, we'd prefer you just start a new thread to avoid confusing anyone.

Email Shigernafy
Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-01 08:24   
Then get yelled at for starting the umpteenth thread on the subject and not using the search function.
You can never win.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-01 13:30   
I rarely used Google to search content in Darkspace forum in Google site by the command: [quote as I remember] site:darkspace.net

However, I usually received the old and irrevelant threads from what I'm looking for. I think Google seldom updates its cache about DS forum.

Search function is nice but it may force the server to search all over forum database and hence, impacts game quality. We've already known DS desperately needs a new server which is more powerful than the current one.

Agree with Sops, it shall release when the game reach version 2 - where we migh have new GCQL interface, too. It's not urgent at all. That's why this is just a wish.

On the opposite site, I heard that new BB based forum have some problems of maintainance. Rumour thats the features are too rich and complicated that the box "Database error" often occurs. Simplicity saves DS forum, I think.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-02 07:15   
Quote:

On 2011-06-01 13:30, chlorophyll wrote:
Search function is nice but it may force the server to search all over forum database and hence, impacts game quality. We've already known DS desperately needs a new server which is more powerful than the current one.

Where do you get your information from?

First off, it's not the DS servers that deal with searches; it's powered by Google and thus strains their massive server banks.

Secondly, I wasn't aware that we needed new servers, since the current webserver does a pretty good job of serving pages and files, in my humble opinion.
As far as I recall, the only machine that has much trouble is the machine that beta runs on, because it's rather smaller than the other ones.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-06-02 08:17   
Forum quotes I can look into, and shouldn't be too difficult. Back when I added the chevron's for going to the latest post I added a hidden value to each post which contains the unique post_id. Adding this to a tiny image next to the Quote: text shouldn't be too difficult.

Searching, however, is an entirely different story. Back when DarkSpace was first programmed, it wasn't entirely important to have seperate databases due to the fact that forums weren't that popular and games didn't require that much database access. Combining the two was an easy way to save time.

Now that we're in 2011 (a full 10+ years after the game was first created), we start to see some of the backend come back and hit us in the face. What people don't know is that the website runs off a very heavily customised version of phpBB. phpBB is one of the most used forum CMS' used on the net today, however, the version we use was created in 2000, and to give you an idea of how out of date we are, phpBB 3 was released two years ago.

As I said above, what we use is modified to certified levels of insanity, and reworking all of it would take us some time, but it is a heavily debated topic umong the staff that can do programming in PHP (basically myself, Shig, Drafell and Faustus).

The main issue that we have currently is that we're actually using one database with many tables (tables store the information - they're like pages in a ledger for individual parts of the game). Now this is all fine and dandy, until you get to the problem that you cannot read two things from a database at the same time. It's like trying to read two pages of a book 100 pages appart - difficult.

Due to the fact our forum has a high number of posts (204027 not counting some sections), searching all of it would take a few seconds. With a few people doing this, or hammering the database with queries, you can end up with the game service actually getting shut out because it has to wait for the searches to finish.

The game service itself is really quite intelligent and doesn't need a lot of access to the database. When a player loads into the game it gets all the relivant information and stores it in memory (there's just a few kb per player, so it doesn't lead to massive memory usage), so that's fine and dandy and generaly doesn't impact the performance of a lot of what you guys would want to run smoothly (attacking a player or planet doesn't do anything to the database, for example).

However, even though we don't access the database often, it doesn't expect these queries to take more than a few ms at most. This is important for various reasons, some among which are to register what the players are doing (their status'), their various prestige values, and other various boring bits of info. As I stated above, the game service doesn't expect these things to take more than a few ms, and if it takes up to a second or more, the server get stuck waiting for the query to finish, which means everything else gets put on hold. No processing of damage, no updating player movement - nothing. So whilst we don't have to access the database all too often, when we do, and it takes a long time, it can cause issues.

And that is why we can't have nice things.

[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2011-06-02 08:18 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-06-02 08:43   

I'd rather have the devs work on the game than worrying about some minor details on the forum.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-06-02 08:48   
Quote:

On 2011-06-02 08:43, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
I'd rather have the devs work on the game than worrying about some minor details on the forum.

It's not always possible to work on the game when you want to. Writing game code also tends to be a much more time consuming process. I wrote the entire support ticket system in a couple of hours - whereas fixing something like cloak can take half a day to properly test and see through to finalisation.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2011-06-02 08:50 ]

Page created in 0.029651 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR