Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » planet movement
 Author planet movement
Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-06-05 17:36   
i just cant get over it and keep on forgeting why was planet movement disabled? what makes it unusable? 'bogging donw the server' again? well how about that everytime server restarts planets change their position on their orbits. so we wouldnt play in same old used up washed up whatever systems.

just an idea

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-05 17:41   
The problems essentially equate to synchronisation and CPU issues. There are a LOT of planets, and having them whirl around each other is quite a lot of work. In addition, the server would have to keep sending updates about the position of each planet to everyone's game clients, causing lots of lag.

Of course, there are ways to reduce this lag, mostly by not updating distant objects when you're not looking at them. This is why ships on the F2 map will often jump around when you click on them; they're being updated to their most recent position because you're paying attention to them.

Imagine that happening to planets that can kill you as they fling themselves to their current position, or discovering that the jump you plotted suddenly has a planet in the way...

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-05 19:20   
yeah all those are problems but raven's idea about changing during the server update sounds nice, say 500 Gus every update

anyone else thinking of Sirus...super OMG speed planet in one of the scen maps?
[ This Message was edited by: Soulless *ADM* on 2011-06-05 19:34 ]

Email *FTL*Soulless
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-06 01:07   
+1 raven.

Actualy there are alot of us that feal the same way.

Kaepora
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-06 01:40   
Maybe a daily/weekly "Planetary update" chosen at a time when the fewest players are on.

Server goes down for 45 seconds, calculates a decent amount of orbit, then goes back up with updated maps. No more Rargo Fock !

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-06 01:58   
I think, having more flying star like Sirius 1 would be nice. Imagine every cluster has 1 flying star that keep your eyes open before you press ctrl J.

All planets able to move should cause more problem than the interest. Ig: you jump to a gate, it takes you 20 seconds. When you're at 19th second, alert: "You're destroyed by planet". Swearing profanity, of course. One planet moving is not complicated to avoid, but all the planets do... horrible experience.

Alcedo
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-06-06 03:57   
Having the planets move so fast that you can visually see them moving would be somewhat unrealistic. But having them slightly advanced in their orbits at every daily server restart is a great idea.

Email Alcedo
Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-06-06 04:06   
thank you geja for very professional expla(e)nation (who's it spells?) that i wont forget anytime soon.

i was thinking ahead that you'll say that about updating planet positioning. so i came up with possible solution...more ov the idea. if there would be planet movement for example. lets say that planet A has 2gu/s speed.
so that sever wouldnt have to update every second, every client installed on players pc would have that information already coded in.
so planets would be moved by clients itself, and only update would happen when player logs in.
and all clients and servers would have to be syncronized, without sending updates about planets position every second.
for this syncronisation to be achived, clients should have somekind ov internal clock or something that would go all the time, no matter the lag or freez up or whatever the naural disasters that may occour. so every client even if it lags behind would know exactly where actual planet really is according to the clock and information about his speed and information about its last position. you get me? example if planets is at 12h 10min 00sec, 200gu away from you. and you have a disaster in your pants...ahm i mean in..amm..lag or something that lasts for i dunno 2 minutes. and if planets moves 1gu per second, then when you come back at 12h 12min 00sec, planet will be in distance od 80gu from you (if it moves towards you. hope ppl undertsand. planet movement according to time.

it is just the idea. initial concept ov how things might be to solve this.

alcedo, having round hitboxes for pretty much NOT rounded ships isnt realistic either

[ This Message was edited by: Ravendark on 2011-06-06 04:14 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-06-06 04:45   

Daily update with a bit of movement would be good.

It does take Earth a full year to go around Sol, so the movements should be very minute. 5 gus?

But .... aren't the XY coords of the planets sort of coded on some kinda excel or datasheet? That's gonna be a lot of administrative work.... 365 days worth of it for Earth, and more for long period/orbit planets..... O.o

So if they only move 5 gus a day, will it be even worth it to do something like this?

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-06 07:08   
Quote:

On 2011-06-06 01:40, Kaepora wrote:
Maybe a daily/weekly "Planetary update" chosen at a time when the fewest players are on.

Server goes down for 45 seconds, calculates a decent amount of orbit, then goes back up with updated maps. No more Rargo Fock !

Easily one of the best ideas I've seen in a while.

Set an orbit period for every object, when the server goes down every night the positions are updated based on that. You could make it so that planet orbited another object every x amount of days, whereas one "day" = 1 update.

The constantly moving positions (and gates!) would mean that the tactical layout of the map would change every day, giving at least a slight illusion of diversity.

This could be balanced also with making interesting orbit paths, wheras at a certain day, planets or clusters normally kept apart would come incredibly close to one another. It would make for a much more intersting MV.

+1 to this.

-Ent

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-06 07:37   
Funnily enough, the idea of moving the planets every day at restart time appeals to me. Unfortunately, I have no idea how practical or easy it would be to do.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-06 10:13   
its a decent idea. added it to the list, no guarentees tho.

Page created in 0.021626 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR