No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » The hidden Darkspace community
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author The hidden Darkspace community
Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2011-06-09 06:45   
Please do not click the link in this post unless you wish to pollute the results.

If you have a forum signature on another site, use the following link http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=files.php&download_id=285 as the link to the DS website.

or

[ url=http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=files.php&download_id=285][ img]http://www.darkspace.net/images/headers/random.php[ /img][ /url]

with spaces in the [ ] removed, which will show as a random signature like this:

At the end of the week I should be able to tell you how many hits your collective efforts have garnered.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr Black on 2011-06-09 06:48 ]

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-09 08:16   
http://uk.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28707656/darkspace--the-space-warfare-mmo?msg_id=331228040#331228040

one of the threads created so far.
i shall add more threads from the other sites as i find/create them.

http://forums.computerandvideogames.com/viewforum.php?f=1

needs to be approved still.
[ This Message was edited by: Marius Falix on 2011-06-09 08:48 ]

We are the Falix Brothers...

Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-06-09 12:19   
Quote:

On 2011-06-08 19:12, Drafell wrote:
DarkSpace will not be returning to P2P, no matter how successful it may (or may not) become.

I would be curious to see how much Darkspace has made on monthly subscriptions in the same amount of time frame Darkspace has been FvP, has Darkspace created more revenue since using enchancements as a source of income?
I question this as because the vets who use to pay monthly like myself had credits refunded for the amount they paid on subscriptions over the years. myself it was over 230k credits give or take. Now my style of play as K'luth I wouldnt need to buy any more enchancements for a good few years, whereas the old system I would of been happily to be donating a monthly subscription to enjoy the game.
This made me feel that if all the vets like me have several hundred thousands credits sitting in their bank, i know one had around 1 million waiting to be used when needed to equip enchancements to their dreads or stations, Darkspace will be waiting a long time until the vet players part any more money.
It is out of curiousity really to see how Darkspace is still staying afloat through F2P than what the old system we all use too where a steady monthly flow of revenue.

I have also re-added (use to have the above link few years ago) on some of my forum signatures.

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-09 13:05   
To find DS, I had to go to some Unkown MMORPG Listing Site...
And when I mention DS to my friends and other Devlopers only 1 out of the 15 Devs I asked knew about DS...

Just goes to show how Unknown DS is.

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-09 15:15   
dont forget about showing off some ds trailers

Kandraf productions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5xyg-5yE9U

Others - DSEmpire:

http://www.jack-online.co.uk/drafell/videos/DSEmpire.wmv

and whatever else you can find on youtube

Email -Shadowalker-™
coolestguy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-09 18:41   
I do think all these suggestions are good but if there is to be population growth. the games that get players are the ones who advertise on "free game" websites.

Addictinggames.com
Kongregate.com (This is the site that built up that 2D space game)

Another and much crappier space game (sorry if you like it) called Dark Orbit is already using these sites to build a game pop.

Now like i said, i dont know what company or who runs the DS marketing section (if there even is one) but i wish they would tell us how or what there doing to bring in players.

If they want us to bring in players, like prior post. There should be some incetives, events for banners or game trailers always makes working for the game company fun.

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-09 22:31   
Quote:

On 2011-06-09 18:41, coolestguy wrote:
Another and much crappier space game (sorry if you like it) called Dark Orbit is already using these sites to build a game pop.

lol, i played that for a bit... it suffers from a bad case of "pay now or you fight with stick"

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-09 22:57   
Quote:

On 2011-06-09 01:54, Maroc wrote:

Like Drafell sayed it wont happen. I personaly never saw that a game would go from pay to play to free to play and back to pay to play. If DS would go back to p2p i think it would be a suidside for DS or atleast close to that.

I have. Tanarus. Game is gone now though.

It was developed shortly before Everquest and came on my Everquest CD back in 1999 so I tried it. Felt it was fun enough to pay $10/month for.

Later on they made it free to play, I guess because of Everquest's success. Game became fairly popular too.

Someone new wound up in charge of Sony's online department, must have decided it was bad business to keep it free, and released a bogus statement saying something like: "Tanarus's beta is now over" and they lumped it into their Station Pass. I never paid for it, not worth it after that move.

(Tanarus was not in beta, Cosmic Rift and maybe Infantry were, and since they lumped all 3 into the Station Pass they justified by claiming Tanarus's beta was over)

Interestingly, it was that lumping it into the Station Pass that made me try their game Cosmic Rift, where I found out about Darkspace from another player in chat and how it was a better space game that was in beta and also free. I might be wrong, but I think the player was Bumblebee? The name started with a "B", and I think he was in BIS if anyone remembers that. It was 10 years ago so I barely remember it.
[ This Message was edited by: General Zod on 2011-06-09 23:02 ]

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-10 16:09   
personally, in a fully p2p there are performance issues, but they should b fixed cause ppl left that play, pay.

enhancement system seems to give revenue, i notice enough with full advanced. must get close to 1 player going p2p. If it helps performances in the future (with 30 players doing battle FPS can get hard) i think i would still play if rank limited to admiral instead of vice admiral. still gives potential, but still feels limited for the ones used to luxury (rich people) so they will pay.

off course...idd still play if rank limited to dessies hehe but just trying to joint the thinking tank

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
coolestguy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-10 20:17   
If this game started to charge ppl to play again i would have to quit

And go back to the grinding of NavyFeild.

µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-10 22:43   
This game is fine it's just small it can't handle more players anymore. (no custom maps and all) this game would thrive via word of mouth better if you could design and import your own (non-infringing) ship designs while hosting your own server. or they can offer players rewards for garnering new players.

when i joined this game in 2001 i seen it in an ad on game spot ( i think)
star trek was in it's prime i was craving for a game that was space combat action oriented, this game is fun when it works and interesting when it doesn't. i just hope it can get better and they don't dumb it down too much like so many sci fi games, we are science nuts we like complicated over explained games. but this game gets fun when players introduce politics into the game and more players will make this game better.

also develop the dark space back story more (i would but unless i am getting paid i can't think of anything good) a good back story is what may draw in more people who like immersion.

(please rethink the names of the human factions)

Email µOmniVore
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-11 14:11   
One popular method of nowaday advertisement is scandal.
Creating a thread in a gaming forum with the tip: "Is the successful EvA a copycat of the infamous DarkSpace?" and then write some paragraph comparing, analysing, conclusing the fairness of DS over EvA. The result would be a big-bang in space.
I'm not going to do so or encourage people. Just a funny thought.
The healthy way should be uploading DS - the rise of Kluth HD video and sharing experience when playing on DS.

Silicon_Knight
Lieutenant Commander

Posted: 2011-06-11 15:27   
I have been a long-time friend of Faustus, but only recently started playing Darkspace, so this is my first forum post.

So far, my son and I have really enjoyed it. It is a very different concept of a game (reminds me of the uniqueness of Archon); however, with it's complexity level, it may inherently have a somewhat smaller audience than most of the "simple" games out there.

One of the most striking things my son and I noticed about DS (after being struck by the coolness!) is the size of the game code. Of course, knowing Faustus' history (I remember him coding on an 8-bit Atari back in the day, with less RAM than it would almost take to hold this forum post), I'm sure the code is very lean. By my estimation, it appears to be ~160MB installed. This is unheard of in this day and age!

I have some spreadsheets that are almost this large! As a comparison, we just downloaded some of the "free games" that Sony is giving away after the PSN debacle, and those are >8GB.

Is there any way to stress how well written the game is by comparing the size to current games? (MB/hr of gameplay or MB/player or something?) I know this sounds esoteric, but remember the people who are actually going to understand how to play DS (and enjoy it), are probably tech heads....

This is just MHO - just trying to brainstorm some ideas on how to stir interest, so take it for what it's worth.

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-11 17:09   
Quote:

On 2011-06-09 22:57, General Zod wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-06-09 01:54, Maroc wrote:

Like Drafell sayed it wont happen. I personaly never saw that a game would go from pay to play to free to play and back to pay to play. If DS would go back to p2p i think it would be a suidside for DS or atleast close to that.

I have. Tanarus. Game is gone now though.

It was developed shortly before Everquest and came on my Everquest CD back in 1999 so I tried it. Felt it was fun enough to pay $10/month for.

Later on they made it free to play, I guess because of Everquest's success. Game became fairly popular too.

Someone new wound up in charge of Sony's online department, must have decided it was bad business to keep it free, and released a bogus statement saying something like: "Tanarus's beta is now over" and they lumped it into their Station Pass. I never paid for it, not worth it after that move.

(Tanarus was not in beta, Cosmic Rift and maybe Infantry were, and since they lumped all 3 into the Station Pass they justified by claiming Tanarus's beta was over)

Interestingly, it was that lumping it into the Station Pass that made me try their game Cosmic Rift, where I found out about Darkspace from another player in chat and how it was a better space game that was in beta and also free. I might be wrong, but I think the player was Bumblebee? The name started with a "B", and I think he was in BIS if anyone remembers that. It was 10 years ago so I barely remember it.
[ This Message was edited by: General Zod on 2011-06-09 23:02 ]

RIP those three games. May 2002.

SOE have ruined a lot of games except for their prized Everquest. Thus have a stigma (and rightly so) to any game that is managed by them in future.

Once some thing is free, making it pay to play ruins communities.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-12 10:57   
The sheer complexity level of the game, the unique niche it holds, the almost pure PvP enviroment - its all a nice way to say that this game isn't for most people.

But, for those people it interests it is one hell of a game.

The best way DS gets people is randomly, usually from another space game/mmo from what I've seen. It doesn't keep most people. The people it keeps though, play for years.

The game isn't really.. I won't say designed around a large playerbase. If a ton of people played DS it would make the game very strange. Its surprising how intense just a 20 man battle can be on its own. Add another zero, and things get complicated quickly.

But I won't complain. Anything that keeps DS running makes me happy.

-Ent

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.021641 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR