Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Why are fleets needed anymore?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Why are fleets needed anymore?
coolestguy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-12 02:56   
So what im wondering is what use dose a fleet have other than

Privet vent or T.S. server

Do fleets do something that "fleetless" ppl are missing out on? The way i see it...

You log on and ask "Where is the action?" or "Where am i needed?" (asking your faction) and no matter what fleet your in or are not in you hop into the battle taking place and help your "Faction"

As there are only 4-5 players logged on at any given time the fleets and fleetless ppl all mesh together to help take a system from another "faction" or fight off the attacking "faction"

But this is what i see, and im wondering what am i missing out on. So what dose a fleet do in DS these days because it seems to be more revolved if not all revolved around the "faction" instead of the fleet.

[ This Message was edited by: coolestguy on 2011-06-12 02:58 ]

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-12 06:41   
All it is, is pretty much a social badge.

It's pretty much if you login and you see some one with your same fleet online, you know that "this person has your back" and isn't going to faction swap two minutes later or has less than helpful intentions.

I'm fleetless and I've learned not to put my ship out in harm's way to assist/defend a random faction member because I know that they wouldn't do the same for me.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-12 08:43   
Some of the reasons why fleets are needed:

In FTL we take great pride in (unlike ICCU) not just recruiting everyone who applies we only accept people who are active, at the very least know the basics of piloting, friendly and able to work in a team and loyal to the Interstellar Cultural Confederation

Also in FTL I know that anyone bearing the [*FTL*] tag will fight to hell and back for each other, and have the skill to do so. Also I know anyone with the tag has enough skill to complete any realistic task.

Hell were not the most skilled bunch but we know more than most.

Another thing in FTL that give a greater sense of community is the fact that we have a private Forum whare can can discuss Operations and just talk about topics that we think are important, we just have fun. (we are all friends in FTL if you cant get along you have to get out). also we have our fleet chat wich allows us to quickly and Quietly give out fleet movements or advice on a non-public channel. and we use it to joke around alot since were all friends

Some of the things id like to see either reinstalled (or) added are:

1. Make fleets owning planets mean something or at least indicate it

2. Let fleets be able to put insignias or customize appearance of their ships
(This is an idea that would be cool even if it weren’t for fleets)

3. I think maybe having a new type of credits that can’t be used for buying enhancements a fleet would earn them for example capturing a planet that could gain them points the “Fleet Credits” could be supplemented by Normal credits but not vice versa (so you guys still make money) the fleet credits could then be distributed either evenly among the fleet members or added to a fleet treasury where the Fleet Admins could give them out. These credits could be used to by (as mentioned above) add insignia to fleet ships or something.

Sorry if my ideas are kind of confusing there just sorta hashed out, too early in the morning. :S
[ This Message was edited by: Rebellion *XO2* on 2011-06-12 08:52 ]

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-12 09:56   
Quote:

On 2011-06-12 08:43, Rebellion *XO2* wrote:
Some of the reasons why fleets are needed:

In FTL we take great pride in (unlike ICCU) not just recruiting everyone who applies we only accept people who are active, at the very least know the basics of piloting, friendly and able to work in a team and loyal to the Interstellar Cultural Confederation

Also in FTL I know that anyone bearing the [*FTL*] tag will fight to hell and back for each other, and have the skill to do so. Also I know anyone with the tag has enough skill to complete any realistic task.

Hell were not the most skilled bunch but we know more than most.

Another thing in FTL that give a greater sense of community is the fact that we have a private Forum whare can can discuss Operations and just talk about topics that we think are important, we just have fun. (we are all friends in FTL if you cant get along you have to get out). also we have our fleet chat wich allows us to quickly and Quietly give out fleet movements or advice on a non-public channel. and we use it to joke around alot since were all friends

Some of the things id like to see either reinstalled (or) added are:

1. Make fleets owning planets mean something or at least indicate it

2. Let fleets be able to put insignias or customize appearance of their ships
(This is an idea that would be cool even if it weren’t for fleets)

3. I think maybe having a new type of credits that can’t be used for buying enhancements a fleet would earn them for example capturing a planet that could gain them points the “Fleet Credits” could be supplemented by Normal credits but not vice versa (so you guys still make money) the fleet credits could then be distributed either evenly among the fleet members or added to a fleet treasury where the Fleet Admins could give them out. These credits could be used to by (as mentioned above) add insignia to fleet ships or something.

Sorry if my ideas are kind of confusing there just sorta hashed out, too early in the morning. :S
[ This Message was edited by: Rebellion *XO2* on 2011-06-12 08:52 ]

I get what your saying. And it sounds good

Email *FTL*Soulless
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-12 10:23   
In this game I've never seen the point. In other MMOs like WoW your "guild" (your "fleet") are the ones you will raid with. In games like the now dead Shadowbane your guild is the one you build a city with.

In DS it's your faction that counts. For some fleetless players faction doesn't matter and they bounce around, but DS is really a game about factions and not about fleets or guilds. They're just a tag and a prevention to faction hopping. To give them any more functionality (like giving them exclusive control over their planets) is to move the focus away from the faction.

Your faction is your team. Remember that.

coolestguy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-12 12:49   
@ Rebellion

Yeah thx for sharing. I do get that if your in a fleet you all have one anothers back, and i really liked your ideas about giving fleets something other than just the "name"

Fleets, other then having a close nit comunity really don't have or anything to do in DS. No ownerships of planats, nothing to lose/or gain outside of a faction.

So i think your ideas would really help and improve and make more "fleetless" ppl like me want to join a fleet.

Im sure if i found some ppl who were really fun, and i mean fun fun. I would join there fleet. Maybe one of these days

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-06-12 13:35   

It's good to have other like-minded bros to troll your asses.

Fleets rock.

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-12 13:41   
Fleets should be removed from the game. too much "must be part of the group" crap in this game.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-12 14:27   
Quote:

On 2011-06-12 13:41, -Daedalus- wrote:
Fleets should be removed from the game. too much "must be part of the group" crap in this game.

.......do i even have to say anything.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

*Flash*
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-12 14:29   
Quote:

If they`ll remove the fleets maybe there will be balance...who knows

Email *Flash*
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-12 16:55   
Quote:
On 2011-06-12 14:29, Flash. wrote:
Quote:

If they`ll remove the fleets maybe there will be balance...who knows

It's already here, it's named "Scenario".

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-06-12 17:02   
Quote:

you got the wrong idea Daedalus. to join a good fleet is an honor not a punishment. if you dont wanna b in a fleet then dont join it. fleets r more of a confirm to that faction that your here for them. it's hard to trust someone with out,cause ppl in a fleet dont know if they will b there for them or not(in other words we dont count on them unless we know them good). now some ppl just aren't cut out for fleets but that doesn't mean there wrong. also it's not a good idea to join one unless youve been playing awhile just to b sure that it's the faction u want.

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-06-12 18:25   
We need fleets so I can look at the stickies with Ash'elth's rants crossposted from the GTN forums and the story about a guy sticking his junk into a jar of peanut butter.

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2011-06-12 18:40   
Quote:

On 2011-06-12 18:25, $yTHe {C?} wrote:
We need fleets so I can look at the stickies with Ash'elth's rants crossposted from the GTN forums and the story about a guy sticking his junk into a jar of peanut butter.

So....back to the matter at hand...

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-06-12 18:49   
Because F+leet=Fleet. All the cool kids are doing it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024877 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR