No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [suggestion]better damage visuals
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author [suggestion]better damage visuals
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 06:56   
i dont know how much is possible with the ds-engine, but i'd like to have some additional visuals to see the health of other ships

i'm thinking about some additional effect in addition to the current ones
something like: some missing parts from the models (broken wings) or (i dont know if this is the right word in english) they list to port / starboard

maybe even some additional explosion on the ship-hull

oppinions ?

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 07:12   
Better Visuals would be awesome.. but witht he current engine DS is running on I don't think it would be possible... if they moved to the Unreal Engine...

-DV

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 07:40   
you have to pay to use engines from other developers, afaik the one darkspace use was made by palestar

Ray[OU]
Marshal

From: Some where in deep space, From another galaxy. [Origin Unknown]
Posted: 2011-06-18 08:39   
hmm i like this idea also maby say when your ships is damged you see like something that indicates a hull breach you see like a explsion are IN THE SAME SPOT EVERY TIME YOUR HULL BELOW 40 maby this can change make it in different spots to corispond where you got hit SHIP CAN TARGET THE UNDER BELLY OF A CC so there for there shudnt really be a damge spot under a CC just a thought of a little realism

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-18 13:53   
Quote:

On 2011-06-18 07:40, NoBoDx wrote:
you have to pay to use engines from other developers, afaik the one darkspace use was made by palestar

UDK is free... but thats not happening, palestar - darkspace, will never ever ever ever switch fron medusa to another engine, ever ever.

Email -Shadowalker-™
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-18 17:12   
Main problem with damage visuals that actually change the shapes of ships is that you'd (barring some difficult trickery) need to create an entire new ship model that gets swapped out for the undamaged model. If you want multiple levels of said structural damage, you'd need multiple different models.

This would increase load times, memory usage, and generally slow things down (which wouldn't normally be an issue but DS is generally low-performance-friendly and thus people play it on non-pimped-out machines).

However, the main problem with this is that you'd need to actually create the new models, which would be rather challenging in a variety of ways, not least the way where the developers only have a limited amount of free time.

So, tl;dr: Would be nice, but would take a lot of effort at best.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-18 17:57   
Being the heavily streamlined beast that Darkspace is, don't bet on it.

As a game coded nearly single handedly, its a very lean game for what you get out of it. Anything like this...

Well as far as my knowledge goes, the Medusa engine can support it theoretically, but it would require redoing just about every aspect of every ship. Lots of heavy work there and as Geja pointed out, would be more taxing on computers.

Now, if you have a thousand dollar custom built computer, thats not an issue, but DS is nice because it can be run from some really really old computers. Features like models being distorted can start narrowing that gap. Do we really want that?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice, but I think features like that are too time intensive to be worth the effort and the ramifications may or may not be positive.

I'm more personally a fan of things that allow more scaling so that low end users can play but high end users get alot of sparkle. There is no doubt that my favorite addin will always be Gideon's mod (because those torps just looked sweet), and that more added/improved effects would be similarly amazing.

If we had a graphic designer onboard, we could make torpedos look more than small pool balls in space, cannon shots look more punchy, and engine trails that don't look like something from MS paint, and explosion animations that lasted alot longer and looked much more spectacular (I'm looking at you Freespace 2).

You could have beam animations that looked more than like you were drawing a line on a MS Word document too.

Is it neccessary? No. The graphics of DS isn't what really hooks most players. But would it be nice? Hell yes. Everyone likes seeing how cool their shots look, it adds alot to the experience of the game, but its also alot of work and alot of time. And in the meantime, I'm more partial to the gameplay aspects and if any more awesome graphical improvements happen to come along, I'm all for it.

But if you do improve anything... anything at all.. look at Jump drives. Seriously, the animation is cool as it is, but it could be soo so much more. That first. Just so you know.

-Ent

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-18 23:55   
Jump drive animation is always buggy for me. Seems like I only get all 3 effects (top and bottom clouds, red rings behind ship, and red/blue particles that change colors depending on if you're looking forwards or back) 5% of the time.

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-19 00:09   
Quote:

On 2011-06-18 23:55, Reznor wrote:
Jump drive animation is always buggy for me. Seems like I only get all 3 effects (top and bottom clouds, red rings behind ship, and red/blue particles that change colors depending on if you're looking forwards or back) 5% of the time.

yeah same and not always do i get or see the exits jump...seeing that flash would have saved me numerious times

Email *FTL*Soulless
Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-19 00:15   
Quote:

On 2011-06-19 00:09, Soulless *ADM* wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-06-18 23:55, Reznor wrote:

yeah same and not always do i get or see the exits jump...seeing that flash would have saved me numerious times

I have this problen too... I only ever see my flash.

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-19 06:47   
is it possible to add multiplayers to the shipmodels, determing different stages of ship damage ?

eg
if the ship is at 100% hull the client use layer 0
@ 50% the client use layer 1
@ 25% the client use 2

and whats about the thing, that ships are listed to port ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kr%C3%A4ngung#Messung_der_Kr.C3.A4ngung )

apart from this even the lazors in eve are simple lines, but unlike ds (which use 2) eve uses 3 lines

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-06-19 07:33   
The engine is very powerful. It's not the engine stopping us, it's purely an artist to create textures that we can map onto ships at certain hull levels that we lack.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-06-19 09:52   

If the engine is that powerful, can we have models as detailed as this?

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-19 11:09   
I like whare this is going, we could get some interesting ideas.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-19 13:01   
Quote:

On 2011-06-19 09:52, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

If the engine is that powerful, can we have models as detailed as this?

If we want to cater to only high-end comp users and if we scrap the whole projectile weapons system then proly yes. In other words: 2D EVE.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024889 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR