Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Lengthy half-arsed review of the next patch.
 Author Lengthy half-arsed review of the next patch.
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-07-04 07:20   
I don't feel like covering all the changes, but here it goes..

The upcomming patch looks to be the best one I've seen in five years. Everything seems to be planned out and done very well so far, so we can only see what happens when the patch goes live. Hats off to the staff for the effort they've put into this. Due to my current connection I can't personally test out the changes, but on paper they sound great.

If some of you haven't noticed, after about four years of innactivity ingame, I've actually become quiet active, and I've enjoyed playing Darkspace again. And this patch looks to make my experience with the game even better. I can only assume that a few of our old friends will come and join us again.

For the layouts, I can't wait until I can actually see them ingame. From the bits and peices I've heard, they seem to be well balanced. Maybe flying a cruiser will be abit more fun now compared to a dread.

The beam changes have to be my second favorite change, my first being the defensive changes. Beams since .482 have been a rather small portion of a ships damage, but now it looks like they'll once again be a deciding factor in some fights. The changes to missle tracking are welcomed as well, seeing how my behind is tired of having them jammed up it.

Core weapons are once again going to be something worth saving instead of their current state of being rather spammable, which is a good thing. If anyone remembers when they where reintroduced a few years back, they where extremely deadly but costly for you to use more in a few times.

Now, for my favorite part of the upcoming patch, the defensive changes. These are by far the best thing I've seen in awhile. The change to ICC's shields will again make them the best defensive faction. They recharge faster then armor being repaired, and have good resistances to most weapons if done right. That seems to be the only buff handed out defensive wise, and it's how it needed to be. AHR has finally been nerfed. Even as I play K'luth quiet a bit, I have to admit that AHR is insanely overpowered considering that all a K'luth player has to do is cloak and they don't have to worry about dieing. They've now slowed it's repair rate. Trust me, in the name of finding balance, nerfing AHR this way will play out well. UGTO's Abalative armor gets a well deserved increase in weakness as well.

And of course, the hotely debated depot change. Some argue that depot planets are the greatest things ever. To these people, Hi. My name is Amir Sidallah from Nirobi, I just recently discovered a large sum of cash. Seriously, how can anyone think depot planets are good? They heavily outbalance a fight, no matter which faction has them. When a single dread can sit still and take six or seven alphas from six other dreads and stay above 90% hull at all times, something is wrong. The new change to depots encourage players to create supply lines. This means having people in supply ships, supply stations, and engineers ready at all times to build a supply platform or to put a depot on a newly captured planet. Hello tactics, we've missed you.

Oh, I almost forgot the biggest change of the entire update. A new Fargo Rock! No longer will we have to look at that puke green disgrace of a planet.

Anyways, thats all I feel like covering, and I imagine it's filled with typos and possible missreadings of some of the changes. Oh well. Again, I tip my hat to the staff involved with this. It has the potential to change alot for Darkspace.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-07-04 09:43   
Quote:

On 2011-07-04 07:20, Crim, the OG Crim wrote:

Core weapons are once again going to be something worth saving instead of their current state of being rather spammable, which is a good thing. If anyone remembers when they where reintroduced a few years back, they where extremely deadly but costly for you to use more in a few times.

Actually.....they're even more spammable now that the fire rate was doubled. It's the only change in 1.67 that seems to be a step backward as now they're just glorified cannons (they actually fire FASTER than cannons) instead of something you want to avoid being hit with because it will mess you up badly.

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-07-04 13:13   
Quote:

Oh, I almost forgot the biggest change of the entire update. A new Fargo Rock! No longer will we have to look at that puke green disgrace of a planet.

So Fargo WILL get a new texture? yay

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-04 14:49   
Quote:

On 2011-07-04 09:43, Talien wrote:

Actually.....they're even more spammable now that the fire rate was doubled. It's the only change in 1.67 that seems to be a step backward as now they're just glorified cannons (they actually fire FASTER than cannons) instead of something you want to avoid being hit with because it will mess you up badly.

Yeah they're no longer supertorpedoes, they're supercannons. I don't like it personally.

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-07-04 15:19   
Quote:

Quote:

They're spammable, but their energy drain has been greatly increased. SO you can fire off about five or six rounds, and you'll have to go get some energy.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-04 15:32   
Quote:

On 2011-07-04 15:19, Crim, the OG Crim wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

They're spammable, but their energy drain has been greatly increased. SO you can fire off about five or six rounds, and you'll have to go get some energy.

nooo you can spam a lot more than that

Email *FTL*Soulless
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-07-04 16:28   
I approve of the original post.

Speaking as a primarily UGTO player, I have this to say about the depot nerfing:

Thank goodness!

I'm pretty bored of UGTO players constantly fielding hundreds of stations regardless of how effective it might be.

In particular, I'm personally looking forward to the new torpedo cruiser, the only downside of which is that I won't be able to use it to blow up UGTO stations.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-07-04 16:42   
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no... I in EAD chased a CD at full speed spamming QST like machine guns and saw only minor energy loss. In order to replenish my stores, i had to just stop firing for a second, to see losses from 10-15 vollies made up. (beta)

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-07-04 16:50   
Quote:

The energy drain increase was either vastly understated, or it was negligible to begin with, you can fire cores all day long and unless you're moving at near top speed your energy level will barely flicker. At least for ICC and UGTO, I haven't tried the Kluth layouts yet so it's possible it may be different.

Page created in 0.017780 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR