No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - James Bum007

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » The Unofficial Rules of Dueling...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author The Unofficial Rules of Dueling...
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-18 07:55   
Duels are personal one-on-one battles to show the better pilot, with the better ship.

This is a compiled list of the Unofficial rules of dueling 1 on 1 in Darkspace. it is often a good idea to have at least one nuetral party from each faction watch the duel, this will expose any cheating during the duel by breaking any of the below rules:

• Inform all teammates about the duel, outside human* interference will result in a repair and reduel.

• Any ship may be used in a duel, as long as both parties agree, up-to and including scout vs station.

• The duel starts when both players jumpdrives and weapons are ready, players will typically start off at a 1000GU pace from eachother.

• Stay within 3000GU of the opponent... This is the psuedo-arena, it can move with the duel, so long as you and your opponent are at most 3000GU apart, exiting this arena is an instant forfeit.

• Point Jumping is allowed, so long as you stay within 3000GU of your opponent.

• Duels are TO THE DEATH, unless a player forfeigts the duel by breaking any rules listed, however, once a player forfeits, they are again free-game can be destroyed at will.

• Cloaking is allowed, unless special ruling, agreed upon by both parties prevents it.

• Capturing is allowed, you may use any tactic to remove control of the players ship.

• Distress calls are NOT allowed, such action will forfeit the duel.

• Ship Enhancements are allowed, AI (wingman) enhancements are NOT allowed.

• Using AI improperly is NOT allowed, no sending orders to have AI help you in a duel.

* AI interference sometimes cannot be avoided if this happens, order your AI to leave immediately, pause the duel, and repair if nessicary damage has occurred due to AI interference.

More rules may be amended to this list or current rules may be altered at any time, please always double-check this list before entering into a duel.

If you feel something needs to be added, changed, or removed, please post here.
[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2011-07-18 07:57 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-18 08:11   
For me, the only rules of dueling that matter are the ones decided upon both parties. They can be anything.

There can really be no universal standard of "fairness", and in my opinion duels are a poor way to show who is a better pilot. Some people are absolutely amazing pilots flying ships that require teamwork. Just because you can out-spacebar mash another person means little.

-Ent

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-07-18 08:42   
The Official Rules of Dueling...

3.3.3 Allegiance
Description: Members of different teams/factions cooperating for mutual prestige gain (IE, build/bomb runs, attack/repair runs, capture/capture runs).
KEEP IN MIND THAT AN ALLIANCE OF 2 SIDES TO ATTACK A 3RD IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!

Why Its an Exploit: Obviously, opposing teams are not meant to cooperate to gain prestige during war time.

SPECIAL NOTE: DUELING: Players may duel in the laddered servers at any time. All dueling will be to the Death. Dueling to only a certain % level of hull left (ie 50%, 25%, etc.) and then stopping to allow the other player to leave safely or taking a break to repair falls under this exploit for mutual pres gain.

Quote:

On 2010-05-04 14:57, Tael wrote:
As I've seen a rash of these reports and complaints lately, a simple reminder.

• We do not police duels.
  • If its red, its a legal and valid target.

Its that simple. If two players wish to duel each other, its their responsability to find an out of the way place where they will not be easily interfered with. If other players come into the area you may make a polite request to not engage, but they are not obligated to honor that request.

If they are purposely friendly firing you (maliciously, not just because you are putting yourself between to protect the duel partner), then you may /report them for friendly fire, but duel interference is not a recognized /report issue.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-07-18 08:53   
Quote:

On 2011-07-18 08:42, Doran wrote:

*snip*

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Email Jim Starluck
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-07-18 10:23   
Quote:

On 2011-07-18 08:11, Enterprise wrote:
For me, the only rules of dueling that matter are the ones decided upon both parties. They can be anything.

There can really be no universal standard of "fairness", and in my opinion duels are a poor way to show who is a better pilot. Some people are absolutely amazing pilots flying ships that require teamwork. Just because you can out-spacebar mash another person means little.

-Ent

Thanks Ent. I suck at duels.. but im sure there are Many many pilots out there who know im deadly with a wingman.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-07-18 11:53   
I'd like to personally take a moment to thank the esteemed [s]Administrator[/s] [s]Moderator[/s] [s]Developer[/s] [s]Staff Member[/s] guy JBud for making this list of rules that is in no way superseded by existing items in the official Rules of Conduct. I look forward to the many sperges in game when these rules are infringed upon ~on the field of honoure~

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-07-18 17:32   
hang on now.

Jbud did not just make this all up. These were the rules as passed to me by Padma of FS.

They really ARE the "unoficial Rules of Dueling" as upheald by vet duelist of old.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-18 19:47   
Quote:

On 2011-07-18 17:32, Defiance*XO* wrote:
hang on now.

Jbud did not just make this all up. These were the rules as passed to me by Padma of FS.

They really ARE the "unoficial Rules of Dueling" as upheald by vet duelist of old.

These rules were compiled during the first Duelathon event I hosted a few years back, they come from many different player suggestions, the rules of conduct, etc.

As the game evolved, and more duelathon events were hosted, rules were added, such as the enhancement rule.
[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2011-07-18 19:48 ]

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-18 19:50   
Quote:

On 2011-07-18 08:53, Jim Starluck wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-18 08:42, Doran wrote:

*snip*

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Those official rules don't cover several things, and duelists do not have to abide by these unofficial set of rules, however they can be useful as a reference for a more fair duel, which is the reason I provided them.

[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2011-07-18 19:51 ]

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-07-18 20:29   
yay, something else we can add to the wiki

Email -Shadowalker-™
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-07-19 01:35   
Quote:

On 2011-07-18 17:32, Defiance*XO* wrote:
hang on now.

Because Padma was a vet of dueling, right?

Anyways, as Ent said. The rules in a duel are always set by the people participating in it. No unofficial rule set is needed.

That said, dueling isn't the best way to show off your skills. You pretty much just spacebar mash until one of you dies. Real skill is shown in an actual battle consisting of several players, where a pilot must factor in each opponent and ally and use them as peices to a chess set, thats it.

Also, I've only ever lost one duel out of several dozen, and that was to Ramius. But everyone knows I actually suck at Darkspace and is only bested by Fautus in sucking.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-19 10:24   

I said it a few times in game and I'll say it out here. Duelling in DS is bullcrap.

This is not an FPS where you can hide behind cover, dodge enemy fire, and show who's the better shot or aim. Where you kill the enemy with a few well placed rounds, or a headshot from a distance.

Everything is autotargetted, so your steady hands count for nothing. There's no hand-eye coordination to speak of. There is no cover or concealment to take advantage of and show who's a stealthier or better tactician.

All you need is the ship with the biggest gun, or the most armor (preferably both), and you just point jump the enemy or mash spacebar till death.

I'll agree with Crim here. A fleet vs fleet situation will show if you know how to work well as a team, or to exploit the situation to your own personal advantage or gain.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-07-19 11:15   
Agreeing with Crim here. While piloting skills are important (you need to be able to point your ship at the target and ideally get behind them, for example), in the game proper it's more important to be able to coordinate your actions with those of your teammates.

It doesn't matter how uber l33t you are, if your team are all acting independently and the enemy are all coordinating their attacks, you're going to lose.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-19 15:19   
ok, you know what, this thread isn't about who thinks what about dueling, this is just a few guidelines for folks to choose to follow when they duel.. Your comments are really unneeded.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-07-19 16:42   
Quote:

On 2011-07-19 15:19, JBud wrote:
ok, you know what, this thread isn't about who thinks what about dueling, this is just a few guidelines for folks to choose to follow when they duel.. Your comments are really unneeded.

mlyp

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023850 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR