- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » The Unofficial Rules of Dueling...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author The Unofficial Rules of Dueling...
Darksworde
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-19 17:05   
Can't comment about the current version, but back in the day, dueling was a whole different ball game. Learning how to manipulate your opponent to move the way you wanted him to move, managing your weapons, the skill involved in detonating your mines as close as possible if a direct hit was not possible, ensuring you always presented your most armoured side and managing your individual tactics within a one to one took a lot of skill, and these are only the basics.

I had alot of duels when I was playing regularly, some memorable ones being Admiral Chaos (Duelled to a standstill if I remember, bet you still love my emp cannon) and evil bob (unofficial in MV, no challenge was issued or accepted, but it was 1v1 and he was first to run. Plus he was in a kluth dessie and I was a TC)

My favourite duelling ship however as a Shell. Man I could take out Dreads one handed with that thing. Damn I miss it!!!

Email Darksworde   Goto the website of Darksworde
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-07-19 18:41   
Quote:

On 2011-07-19 15:19, JBud wrote:
ok, you know what, this thread isn't about who thinks what about dueling, this is just a few guidelines for folks to choose to follow when they duel.. Your comments are really unneeded.

Alright then, in the interests of guidelines about duelling...

As has been said above in various ways, the only OFFICIAL, staff-will-do-stuff-about-it ruling is that duels be to the death, i.e. of the two players that committed themselves to a duel, only one player will be alive at the end of the duel. This supersedes any of the rules in the original post about people breaking off and repairing (which violates the "to the death" clause), duels being cancelled (again violating the "to the death" clause), and so on and so forth. Make use of these unofficial rules at your own risk.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-19 18:47   
Quote:

On 2011-07-19 18:41, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

ok, you know what, this thread isn't about who thinks what about dueling, this is just a few guidelines for folks to choose to follow when they duel.. Your comments are really unneeded.

As has been said above in various ways, the only OFFICIAL, staff-will-do-stuff-about-it ruling is that duels be to the death, i.e. of the two players that committed themselves to a duel, only one player will be alive at the end of the duel. This supersedes any of the rules in the original post about people breaking off and repairing (which violates the "to the death" clause), duels being cancelled (again violating the "to the death" clause), and so on and so forth. Make use of these unofficial rules at your own risk.

Quote:
however, once a player forfeits, they are again free-game can be destroyed at will.

I mentioned it... Ending the duel makes them again free game, forfeiting only means the duel is no longer active, it means nothing about either player holding fire.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-07-20 00:15   
Quote:

On 2011-07-19 18:47, JBud wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
however, once a player forfeits, they are again free-game can be destroyed at will.

I mentioned it... Ending the duel makes them again free game, forfeiting only means the duel is no longer active, it means nothing about either player holding fire.

They're free game during the duel anyways.

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-20 00:35   
Quote:

Quote:

That's funny, I saw you mention in game that staff would take action against any outside interference against duels even though dueling is not officially supported in the metaverse.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-20 03:38   
Quote:

On 2011-07-19 17:05, Darksworde wrote:
Can't comment about the current version, but back in the day, dueling was a whole different ball game. Learning how to manipulate your opponent to move the way you wanted him to move, managing your weapons, the skill involved in detonating your mines as close as possible if a direct hit was not possible, ensuring you always presented your most armoured side and managing your individual tactics within a one to one took a lot of skill, and these are only the basics.

I had alot of duels when I was playing regularly, some memorable ones being Admiral Chaos (Duelled to a standstill if I remember, bet you still love my emp cannon) and evil bob (unofficial in MV, no challenge was issued or accepted, but it was 1v1 and he was first to run. Plus he was in a kluth dessie and I was a TC)

My favourite duelling ship however as a Shell. Man I could take out Dreads one handed with that thing. Damn I miss it!!!

Ah, yeah, I miss those kinds of duels as well. For the most part, dueling stopped being the same shortly after 483 went live, although there were certain aspects that tested a pilot. With the old armor bugs, ugto duelists had to work twice as hard to beat off an icc or kluth without succumbing to extensive hull damage.

Now though, I must reluctantly agree with Crim and others, but to a point; modern dueling is a shadow, yes, but it still tests pilots, you still manage energy, speed, ammo, shields/armor, distance, things that are small but make an impact in any fight.

Its just different now I think, more or less, if you space bar mash against anyone who knows what they are doing, then you lose.

I love duels, I love the challenge, and the sort of ceremony behind it, at least, before modern times, I enjoyed it, and wish that the 'unspoken rules' would be adhered to again. But, Chivlary is dead, and we must all move on in the end.

'Spose red is dead...

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-07-20 07:27   
Quote:

On 2011-07-20 00:35, Azure Prower wrote:
That's funny, I saw you mention in game that staff would take action against any outside interference against duels even though dueling is not officially supported in the metaverse.

First off I suspect you may be misquoting me, but either way I'm fairly sure that subsequent staff discussion resulted in various clarifications to the rules on duelling that supersede whatever I have previously said. Because, you know, stances aren't set in stone forever or anything.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-07-20 09:37   
hi darksworde

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-08-27 07:02   
SPECIAL NOTE: DUELING: Players may duel in the laddered servers at any time. All dueling will be to the Death. Dueling to only a certain % level of hull left (ie 50%, 25%, etc.) and then stopping to allow the other player to leave safely or taking a break to repair falls under this exploit for mutual pres gain.

Dueling needs amended in the ROC. Its against the rules to duel and run away before death… but its ok for you to call an ally in to kill your aggressor or force him to run? Or your ally just waits to kill your agressor without your knowledge?

Then you have those players that hear about your duel and follow you anywhere just to grief. Why is this not covered by unsportsmanlike conduct?

pawnerz
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-08-27 08:30   
Quote:

On 2011-07-18 07:55, JBud wrote:

[*] Cloaking is allowed, unless special ruling, agreed upon by both parties prevents it.

Ok Jbud i challenge you, let me go get my siphon, cloak and go afk..just to annoy you.

Okay? i could cook some pancakes or donuts while you ping trying to find me.

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-08-27 08:31   
Quote:

On 2011-08-27 07:02, *XO*Defiance{CM7} wrote:
Dueling to only a certain % level of hull left (ie 50%, 25%, etc.) and then stopping to allow the other player to leave safely or taking a break to repair falls under this exploit for mutual pres gain.

That's farming, so i don't think it needs to be changed.

Maybe the part about dueling to the death has to be altered to have an exception like interference.
[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2011-08-27 08:33 ]

Steveyk
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2011-08-27 08:51   
if you want to duel use beta or ask very nicely for a fleet wars server or a server to just hold 1v1 fights.

Email Steveyk
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-08-27 09:33   
beta is not a proper dueling ground. Expecialy now that changes are not logged.

You never know from day to day what works and what doesent in beta..

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-27 16:13   
IMO there r 2 options:

1) make small duel server, like beta or metaverse. U can choose room in duel server, when opponent enters same room, duel starts. On this server features can b added, for instance for ppl to view the duel, or a duel ranking list.

2) duelling will continue in metaverse. In that case here are some tips how NOT to get interrupted:

- play in Kaus borealis, in deadspace. AI almost never comes there and if they do its just to travel from gate to gate. If u have AI jump u there, it has been sent/called.

- have a friend keep an eye on any incoming ai, so that he/she can order the ai to some other place.

- Always use PM to discuss ur point of duelling, like /send deadguy im at
-7,4 , -5,2. that way other players are less likely to interfere.

With this u prevent enemy ai interfere, and reduce human player interference to "a-hole only" who does it on purpose and can b immedialy reported without second thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------
Oh and standard luth vs someone else duelling rules that seems to work out:

1. max jump distance is about 2500 gu. 2600 is ok as well

2. max cloak time is 30 seconds in general, and u have to be unclaoked for over 50% of the time. max cloak time, and max amount of cloaking % can b discussed with enemy. usually they like 20-30 sec max cloak time, and will pm or /y if u claoked a bit to often in a row

3. no help, its to the death

4. no boarding/capturing enemy ship

5. respect! if u try to get on the edge of someones nerves, simply cause "it didnt say in the rules that i cant act this ridiculous", If u dont duel nicely, ull see nobody wants to duel u ever again

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-08-27 19:22   
Quote:

On 2011-08-27 16:13, HakkeTak wrote:
IMO there r 2 options:

- play in Kaus borealis, in deadspace. AI almost never comes there and if they do its just to travel from gate to gate. If u have AI jump u there, it has been sent/called.

Or make kaus borealis system specificly for duelers. Once you want to use the gate to that system , you will be asked to pay 5000 credits . When you are in you can go fight anyone inside and win some credits(50%). If you can leave the system at the end of game , you will recover your 5000credits.

Free for all system .You can team up and hut people.. Lots of options..

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025199 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR