Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Propulsion In Space
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Propulsion In Space
UnicornTrooper
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-13 04:59   
So i was trying to make my toaster shoot the toast out higher and then i kind of realised that the whole concept of bigger ships like dreads or stats moving slowly in space is silly.In space, objects have no weight and there is no air restistance.Therefore A station with two engines (i dont know how many engines they have) should travel at the same speed as a corvette with two engines.So if Dreads are the best ships avadible to a faction then they should have the best engines and therefore be the fastest , the same goes for stats even though a station travelling at 25 gu would look silly it should be, in reality possible.

Then again, Darkspace isnt reality

Please tell me what you think of this..... this..... MADNESSS!!!!

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-08-13 05:14   
Quote:

On 2011-08-13 04:59, Attack Hobo wrote:
So i was trying to make my toaster shoot the toast out higher and then i kind of realised that the whole concept of bigger ships like dreads or stats moving slowly in space is silly.In space, objects have no weight and there is no air restistance.Therefore A station with two engines (i dont know how many engines they have) should travel at the same speed as a corvette with two engines.So if Dreads are the best ships avadible to a faction then they should have the best engines and therefore be the fastest , the same goes for stats even though a station travelling at 25 gu would look silly it should be, in reality possible.

Inertia.

It isn't bound to weight, but to mass, which is always there.

weight = mass x g

This was already dicussed in another thread this week.
If it WAS realistic, ships wouldn't have a top speed, only a limited acceleration.

there is no way a 1.5 km dread moves around in space as swiftly as a 19 m corvette

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-08-13 05:17   
force applied (propulsion) / mass of object = acceleration
stations have 5 engines and (supposedly) are 100 times heavier than scouts with 1 engine. so acceleration produced is very low in stations.

about flying at 25 gu/s...why do we have a maximum speed in the game?
its the same reason as to why we dont have SR-71 blackbird engines in our cars, its just too fast !! (and dangerous)

ur argument; it got burnt while being toasted...

UnicornTrooper
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-13 05:18   
face/palm

ohhhh yeahhhhhhh

thanks for the enlightenment

UnicornTrooper
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-13 05:21   
Also i wasnt arguing.. just enquiring

and the toast thing was successful .My toast now jumps the whole way out of the toaster onto the bench next to it

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-08-13 05:25   
The answer is 42.

marco ramius
Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-13 05:38   
read the lensmen series of books by: E.E. 'Doc' Smith,an early sci-fi author,in this series he invents the idea of an inertia-less drive........

the kat has *merrrrrrrooooooowed*.............

NZ-juex16
Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-08-13 05:55   
Quote:

On 2011-08-13 05:14, Thernhoghas wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-13 04:59, Attack Hobo wrote:

Inertia.

It isn't bound to weight, but to mass, which is always there.

weight = mass x g

This was already dicussed in another thread this week.
If it WAS realistic, ships wouldn't have a top speed, only a limited acceleration.

there is no way a 1.5 km dread moves around in space as swiftly as a 19 m corvette

Yes but if what your saying is right then how do astronoughts toss around 12 ton Satiltes with one arm?

Leds you to the first part of what Attack said

U.W.S Melborne

I.S.S Achilles

Author of Stanger in a Strange land.

Lithium
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-08-13 05:59   
Because "ships" are floating in the water.
DarkSpace is a space "naval" combat game.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-13 06:20   
Quote:

On 2011-08-13 05:14, Thernhoghas wrote:

If it had enough thrust to achieve the same linear accelerations as the corvette, sure. It'd just turn everything inside the dread into liquid paste from the g forces being pulled.

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-08-13 06:32   
Quote:

On 2011-08-13 06:20, Fattierob wrote:

If it had enough thrust to achieve the same linear accelerations as the corvette, sure. It'd just turn everything inside the dread into liquid paste from the g forces being pulled.

it would need to be made of nothing else than thrusters to achieve that

Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-08-13 08:33   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihlZ0Mnq-k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

there that should be the end of that

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles
Leader of the Exathra Alliance Fleet.

Email Xavier I. Agamemnon   Goto the website of Xavier I. Agamemnon
Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-08-13 09:31   
Quote:

On 2011-08-13 05:55, NZ-juex16 wrote:

Yes but if what your saying is right then how do astronoughts toss around 12 ton Satiltes with one arm?

Leds you to the first part of what Attack said

seems I overread you post ^^*

W = mg

In space space g equals 0

so W = m x 0 = 0

but the satellites nevertheless have their mass

If you'd put an astronaut with only a spacesuit and a 12 t satellite next to each other, the astronaut won't be able to move the satellite.

It's their thruster backpacks and their connections to their "homecraft" that enables the to move the satellites.

(with our astronauts it's by far more complicated 'cause they aren't in zero gravity, but in a permanent drop, but that would go too far )

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-08-13 18:16   
Realistic propulsion? In Darkspace? Cue a giant post from me about realism.

Okay, first off, in reality there is no top speed (okay, technically there is at the speed of light, but certain quirks let you accelerate forever regardless). This means that while your car may be limited to, say, 120mph because of its engine, wind resistance, and so forth, a spacecraft can just keep speeding up forever because there is no friction to restrict its top speed.

This means that top speed is irrelevant. Lots of games put a top speed on spacecraft, however, because it's surprisingly difficult to get truly realistic flight sorted (computer-controlled ships plough into celestial bodies or fling themselves into oblivion, players suffer mental breakdowns, everyone runs out of fuel, and so forth).

In a truly realistic game, the top speed factor would be irrelevant. The actual issue would be how quickly you can get to a given speed; in other words, how quickly you can accelerate.

This relies of a handful of factors, the primary ones being the weight of your ship and the thrust of your engines. If a ship massing 1,000kg had a 1,000N thrust engine, it could accelerate at 1m/s/s. A ship massing 100,000kg and with an engine that puts out 100,000N of thrust will also accelerate at 1m/s/s. Essentially, if you strap a big enough engine onto something you can get it to accelerate as quickly as you want. If you add more mass, your acceleration decreases. If you add more thrust, your acceleration increases.

The main issue, however, is that engines don't necessarily happily increase the amount of thrust they provide if you increase their size. In addition, it will take more fuel to propel the ship to a given speed, meaning more mass you need to carry, meaning a lower acceleration. And adding more engines cuts into the amount of payload you can fit onto a ship, i.e. stuff to make the ships do useful things.

This suggests that larger ships will have a lower acceleration, making it harder for them to evade enemy fire. On the other hand, larger ships will most likely have larger weapons that can fire accurately from a longer distance, offsetting this disadvantage.

So, to address the original point, yes, stations and corvettes should accelerate at the same speed... IF their thrust output and weight have the same ratios. However, stations have something like a hundred times more mass and only five times as many engines (I forget the precise numbers), which suggests that they have a much higher mass-to-thrust ratio and thus would accelerate more slowly.

As for the whole "people moving satellites" thing, that's just a case of every action having an equal and opposite reaction. If you jump up into the air, you push down on Earth, which moves away from you. You also move away from the Earth, but since you're WAY lighter than the planet you move a lot more than the planet does. Similarly, if you were in space and poked a 12-tonne satellite, you would be pushed in one direction and the satellite would be pushed in the other. Since it weighs a lot more, though, it moves a lot more slowly.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-08-13 18:43   
your forgetting about mass.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030664 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR