No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Earthquake!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Earthquake!
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-08-28 03:44   
There's already been a few deaths from Irene, and I think over 2 million people lost power so far (not sure on exact numbers, I'm just waking up).

The problem is flooding. August was a very rainy month in NJ and the ground is totally saturated. Trees will blow over more easily and the flooding is going to be disastrous.

Where I am it will only be the basement really that gets flooded, but a few minutes north along the Passaic river might as well abandon their homes at this point; they flood even with "regular" heavy storms.

It's 4:30am and I'm going to turn on the news and may see what's going on outside. It's eerily calm right now, and the worst of the storm isn't due to hit for another 2 hours or so.

MaGoo
Fleet Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-08-28 04:18   
I live in los angeles lol

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-08-29 01:05   
Not only am I fine, I'm very lucky. I think I live in a tiny protected bubble. All I got was a flooded basement (no more than usual) and some debris on the street.

My brother who lives a few blocks away in town has no power and was told it will take till September 4th to fix it. He's less than a mile away.

Just up the road about 15 minutes or so away they're evacuating people because there may be the worst flooding there in 30 years (Fairfield NJ along the Passaic River, in case anyone's interested. They're doomed). Driving around, like to my mother's, I saw lots of downed trees including one blocking a major county road that even at 1am is still not cleared because there's just too much damage in the area.

So not only did I not feel anything from the earthquake, I somehow avoided all the problems this hurricane caused. I mean all of them. My basement doesn't count since it fills with water even with small rainfall, and I have a pump.

Now if only I were so lucky with winter storms. Winter storms dump enough snow to make me break my back shoveling, and I'm too cheap to buy a snowblower (and snowblowers don't help with stairs).

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-08-29 10:00   
I live just a bit South from Fishbulb.

Luckily my town is on a big hill so it never floods but the near by town of Cranford is under a foot or two of water.

I was very surprised I never even lost internet and only had 3 or 4 brown outs.

Captain LlamaPajamas
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-30 04:24   
I live on the Delmarva peninsula (or as we call it, the Eastern Shore), in a very isolated bit of Virginia.

The ground here is basically a few hundred feet of sand with dirt on top - even though the earthquake didn't do any real structural damage, it knocked a lot over because the ground is like jello here. I had some shelves fall, but again it didn't do anything too bad...

We then got tornado warnings on the Peninsula, and a bit farther north in Maryland there were supposedly some tornadoes.

Then Irene hit and tore up a lot of $~@^?^&*, for a hurricane it wasn't too bad but for our location it was pretty damaging. A lot of houses were damaged and flooded - the real threat is not the wind or the rain but the trees that it pushes over. Falling trees are also the biggest cause of those deaths you hear about, including one that fell on a man who was driving (I don't know why he was driving during this storm...)

Our prediction for next week is fire and brimstone, and perhaps a visit from a set of four horsemen. D:

Email Captain LlamaPajamas
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.010972 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR