Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Suggestion: Engine cut and drift
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Suggestion: Engine cut and drift
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-08-23 23:00   

Now here's something that should be fun, and possible to add too, if the Devs have enough time.

How about an engine cut feature? What this does is to simply take the engines offline and allow the ship to drift indefinitely until the engines are cut back in.

Now what happens if the engine is cut back in while you're moving tail first? Well, then a gradual decel should happen till you hit 0, then the ship accelerate back towards the direction it's pointing in. For more oblique angles, perhaps the system will find a way to skew the course.

I think this will allow for some interesting combat manuevers. Especially for ICC ships like the Strike Cruiser which can now cut and drift/slide at an angle to unleash their firepower on enemy targets.

Or imagine an EAD heading towards a station at a 20 degrees angle, cutting the engines then rotating to fire at the target as it passes by.

Further to the point, like that ancient game Star Control... I don't know if planets or stars should have gravity wells that will pull in drifting ships should they decide to cut their engines.

What do you think?

CBR{DTB}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-23 23:18   
good idea makes the game seem more spacey imo +1

Animyx
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-08-24 00:21   
good idea +1

Lock 'N' Load

Kaepora
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-24 00:56   
They'd have to rethink weapons arcs, probably reduce them to prevent so much firepower being output while maintaining distance.

Forward firing ships can now fire while actively retreating? It'd probably take more balancing than the devs could put up with.

NZ-juex16
Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-08-24 01:35   
Great idea. A reverse Gear would be lovely also....

U.W.S Melborne

I.S.S Achilles

Author of Stanger in a Strange land.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-08-24 03:58   
Quote:

On 2011-08-24 00:56, Kaepora wrote:
They'd have to rethink weapons arcs, probably reduce them to prevent so much firepower being output while maintaining distance.

Forward firing ships can now fire while actively retreating? It'd probably take more balancing than the devs could put up with.

Probably.

But there are 2 things going against drifting.

1. You are moving in a straight line and can't dodge fire either, especially from missiles.

2. When strafing a target, you also have to take into account your ship's turn rate. eg: An EAD can't just go at 15 gu/s and do a close flyby of a target. Its turn rate is just too abysmal for that.

Nekatil
1st Rear Admiral
Team Germany

Posted: 2011-08-24 04:36   
freelancer !

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-24 04:55   
it sounds nice. cut off engines, turn left and alpha some ship passing by while still going forward. i did have the problem sometimes that i need to steer for my weapon archs, but needed to go straight ahead for my position...This solves it.

do think it will look a bit strange when 5 ships drifing away in space during combat....Also effective use of this engine cut off thing will b limited to certain types of situation, also icc benefit from this since they can shield rotate all to their front...

In the end is the good outweighing the bad? i donno

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-08-24 08:09   
This would require an complete overhaul of the physics of ships in the game. My guess is jack is going to say no; but I give a +1 cause it could add in some interesting physics from gunfire too... if your ships can drift with no engines, that means that if a qst or ion were to burrow itself into your side it could change your course while drifting.

Could also add some interesting battle effects, say if you lose engine power and suddenly you cant speed up, slow down, or turn... hehe +1 +1

Email -Shadowalker-™
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-08-24 08:31   
Quote:

On 2011-08-24 08:09, -Shadowalker-™ wrote:
This would require an complete overhaul of the physics of ships in the game. My guess is jack is going to say no; but I give a +1 cause it could add in some interesting physics from gunfire too... if your ships can drift with no engines, that means that if a qst or ion were to burrow itself into your side it could change your course while drifting.

Could also add some interesting battle effects, say if you lose engine power and suddenly you cant speed up, slow down, or turn... hehe +1 +1

Medusa can handle it. If an ancient game like Star Control can, DS can too. It's just up to what F or Jack think of it. Whether or not it's viable for the game.

I'm sure this faux 2D newtonian physics idea have crossed their minds at one time or another.

Edit:
You've also given me another idea. What if systems damage extended to engines? Once yr engine falls below 35%, it cuts out and u drift at yr last vector until it reps past 50%.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-08-24 08:38 ]

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-08-24 08:38   
Quote:

On 2011-08-24 08:31, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-24 08:09, -Shadowalker-™ wrote:

Medusa can handle it. If an ancient game like Star Control can, DS can too. It's just up to what F or Jack think of it. Whether or not it's viable for the game.

I'm sure this faux 2D newtonian physics idea have crossed their minds at one time or another.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-08-24 08:35 ]

I know medusa can handle it, its if jack and Faustus want to take the time to do it... that could take a really long time...

Email -Shadowalker-™
jimjimjaroo
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-24 08:43   
this gives me 2 ideas. 1) you know on how the exhaust trails on ships are +'s . well, what if they were circles. 2) you know on how planets are supposed to have gravity. well, what if your sitting in orbit of a planet and it starts to pull you in. those are my ideas. tell me if they were mentioned above (i didnt feel like reading the comments) or if they were in another forum. i dont like to steal other peoples ideas.

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-08-24 08:52   
Quote:

On 2011-08-24 08:43, jimjim578 wrote:
this gives me 2 ideas. 1) you know on how the exhaust trails on ships are +'s . well, what if they were circles. 2) you know on how planets are supposed to have gravity. well, what if your sitting in orbit of a planet and it starts to pull you in. those are my ideas. tell me if they were mentioned above (i didnt feel like reading the comments) or if they were in another forum. i dont like to steal other peoples ideas.

planet gravity has been proposed before and shot down

Email -Shadowalker-™
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-08-24 10:48   
Wouldn't fit into the DarkSpace gameplay too well, and even if it did, bottom of the pile. Far more important things need to be addressed.

Musiqsoulman
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-08-24 17:26   
Great suggestion Kenny.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026913 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR