Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Wow, it's pretty impressive...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Wow, it's pretty impressive...
Cuisinart
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-08 21:44   
The fact that DS is still here and apparently still going strong. Kudos Faustus. (He still runs this place right?)

Hard to believe it's been over 10 years since I first played...

Admiral C. Wilson
Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-08 22:03   
Its what we do

Email Admiral C. Wilson
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-09 02:46   
Quote:

On 2011-09-08 21:44, Cuisinart wrote:
The fact that DS is still here and apparently still going strong. Kudos Faustus. (He still runs this place right?)

Hard to believe it's been over 10 years since I first played...

These days I accidentially logged in on my 10th anniversary
Decided to play a bit, and had no fun

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-09-09 05:19   
Impressive indeed . You should check out the improvements in-game.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2011-09-09 05:58 ]

Cuisinart
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-09 07:06   
I remember the battles we had playing the scenarios... long before the 'meta-verse' or whatever it's called now. That was great fun. And of course, dreads were pretty few and far between back then as well.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2011-09-09 12:24   
Good grief, Cuisinart and DOM. Get back in here you guys.

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2011-09-09 21:55   
huh.. too bad most of you lamers really suck. the game has moved on, why haven't you? nothing better to do but post on a forum? I don't play much but personally enjoy the game. If you don't then why are you here complaining?

kudos to all who have contributed to ds. imagine where it would be if it remained static with no changes from 11 or 12 years ago? dead. just like the original half life, team fortress, diablo etc.

get a grip folks

(Editors note: Language.)
[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2011-09-09 23:22 ]

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2011-09-09 23:24   
Anyone who remembers the "golden age" remembers how many players left the game because of the problems back then. If the game has problems now compared to then, it's because we don't have as many players.

Really, please pause for a moment and think of how many issues we had back then and how many people left forever because of them.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2011-09-09 23:25 ]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-10 10:11   
People left during one version in particular, including me, and it was after the golden age.

(the golden age, to me, was the days of scenario, before the MV took over as the main attraction and we started getting the crazy unbalanced versions. It was all downhill from there.)

And yes this game has moved on, but in many peoples' opinions not in a good way. Look at the Online counts. There was a surge of players after the latest patch and then it died again. DS can't retain a lot of players. Old time players, beta players who have seen the golden age, came back and said they were bored.

I don't want to get into specifics why the game is just a shadow of it's former self because I think we all know. In a nutshell: way too many major changes over the years and scrapping of entire gameplay systems, including some of the core elements that helped define DS as a game. I haven't seen another online game that's tried to redefine itself so much. Expand upon itself yes, redefine itself no.

DS is still here though so that's a plus. But I really wish the admins would take a deep, hard look at the state of the game now, take peoples' criticisms into consideration (and they're varied), and try to figure out where it all went wrong. It could be worse - the game could have failed entirely - but it could be better too, unless the admins are happy with low player counts and a game that simply cannot grow. Hey, maybe they are happy with it's state. The game is 10 years old after all. How much growth can an ancient game like this expect right?

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-09-10 12:43   
believe in the game, sparkle it has sustained itself, and will sustain further

i believe we will have an even better golden age, without any problems and players leaving because of problems. when that happens the playerbase will grow so much that the servers required for the game would increase tenfold, and keep increasing every 2 weeks.

the game can become so popular that one day faustus will need to buy an entire island just to accomodate the DS servers >:D

just believe in the game's progress sparkle ;D

Totenkopf
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-10 17:40   
hope what ure saying its true and will happen some time

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-09-10 21:13   
Well anyone sayin that this game havent developed and changed must have some big issues in their life. Because it has changed ALOT.

As most players before 1.5 remember the lag was horrible, todays version has almost no lag to speak off. They have also made the graphics alot better then last versions. The game itself has improved alot since last.

But. And this is something ive mentioned alot since 1.5 came out. Yes the lag is improved and all that, but on what cost?

Planet defence have sufferd the most, it have becomen noob frendly and to an extend that their not worth the time of capping. Thoug ive always thougth the mv was about dominating and keeping planets. The mv today is a standstill and the systems never changing.

The new capping of planet defence is also a negative change in my opinion. Yes i understand the decision on making the lag less. And as ive understand it changed the server load with 30-40%. Wich is alot. And overall this probably have helped the game alot, but still im missing the fun with cluster bombing. To hide the bombs under your ship, and if you where really good you could cloud em all so the planet wouldnt hit em at all. This was a fun and skilled based thing, but i think the develepors have missed one thing with this, because the system where perfect if they only changed the damage for the bombs. Make it so one round with a perfect round of dodging the planet with 10gu you could take out 1 building. That would be amasing.

The combat/ships in the game have becomen slower because of gettin the lag down. From Dreads and up its 0 speed combat. Jump in and smash the keyboard untill ure almost out of energy. There is no skills involved only numbers.

Cruisers where the main attraction before because of the speed and agility. I remember before when evryone would be in cruisers, what fun that was. The last days ive flown the cruiser alot, but the competition ive reciving is bad. No one remembers how to fly them, or they have ranked up so fast that they never learnd how to.

I will give the develepors credits on makin the dreads so slow that cruisers finaly can manuver them out. And ive learned that with a Battle Cruiser you can win almost anything. Atleast untill it gets nerfed.

All in all the game have changed to the better in speak of lag and grapichs, and the developers should recive a big applaud for this. But the cost of improving the lag and grapichs migth be the downfall for making the game fun.

There is one thing that tells you if a game is good or not. And that is rage quit. When ppl get so mad and depresed that they will go nuts in chat. Then you know that this game mathers. THen you know that the game is worth playing.

Have you seen anyone rage quit latley?

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-11 01:42   
Im totally with MrSparkle,
in the MV, I got totally bored, since there is virtually nothing to do. It was nice when you could micromanage the planets far deeper than today (and even had to). Furthermore the scenario server (as always after MV was considered the important thing) is suffering from the fact that balancing is made for the MV, where it is nice that your station with all the upgrades doesnt vanish completely after you die, for the scenario server this is basically killing the game.

Ive noticed this from other games too, it is nowhen as fun to play as at the time when the front lines are still unknown, thats why I would always prefer scenario server right now.

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-11 19:00   
I feel like a post of mine has been deleted. That is not good. It didn't contain anything controversial or anything that's not already said in this thread, nor was it disrespectful.

Don't start "circling the wagons" guys. A lot of us old timers are still interested in this game, and the admins and those in charge of it's direction need to know our concerns and our ideas, unless like I said they're happy with it's current state and don't wish it to grow (which may be impossible at this point. What 10 year old MMO has ever grown?).

Is this game just a pet project for some people to dabble in on the side, or is it a MMO that's attempting to grow and attract players? Think about it, please.

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-11 19:47   
Yep.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024814 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR