No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Wow, it's pretty impressive...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Wow, it's pretty impressive...
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-09-11 20:49   
Quote:

On 2011-09-11 19:00, MrSparkle wrote:
I feel like a post of mine has been deleted. That is not good. It didn't contain anything controversial or anything that's not already said in this thread, nor was it disrespectful.

Don't start "circling the wagons" guys. A lot of us old timers are still interested in this game, and the admins and those in charge of it's direction need to know our concerns and our ideas, unless like I said they're happy with it's current state and don't wish it to grow (which may be impossible at this point. What 10 year old MMO has ever grown?).

Is this game just a pet project for some people to dabble in on the side, or is it a MMO that's attempting to grow and attract players? Think about it, please.

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=46478&forum=33&0

Whilst I respect most well-written posts about the state of the game and viewpoints on it, yours contained nothing but complaints that had no real backing or thought to them. It was just a post complaining, with no thought as to why such changes were made.

As the above forum post states, posts and threads complaining and moaning will be removed. Constructive criticism is usually left alone, but it has to be just that - constructive.

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-12 16:52   
Meh. We bask on the forums since thats the only way to possibly get things done around here.

Infact, it would be great if we had some good, positive things to discuss in the game.

And i wold appreciate if you didnt remove my posts. I dont make outrageous claims of anything. I state the truth as i belive is required.

cheers

[ This Message was edited by: iwancoppa on 2011-09-13 03:41 ]

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-09-13 15:45   
Quote:

On 2011-09-11 19:00, MrSparkle wrote:
admins and those in charge of it's direction need to know our concerns and our ideas

No they don't, hope this helps.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-13 18:26   
Quote:

On 2011-09-13 15:45, $yTHe {C?} wrote:

Why don't they? Look at the number of players. Something is wrong. It's 7pm EST, and theres 149 Online (which really means only a few people playing).

I've seen other MMOs with fewer players, don't get me wrong. The game I used to play where I first learned about DS has 0 (zero) players. Billions of people in the world and not a single one playing that game. But remember the surge of players DS had after the latest patch? What happened? There were hundreds Online, and it's dropped to about as low as I can remember. That should be a troubling sign. Games end up in jeopardy of shutting down when that happens.

What I want to know are the reasons. I'm not trying to complain or be disrespectful. I'm genuinely interested in the reasons why so many people left again after they sampled the last patch. I can't ask them personally so I gave my opinions on why they might have, based not on my own personal opinions but conversations ingame, in the lobby, and occasional comments on the forums including in this thread.

This is the only MMO I've ever played that's this old and that I'm still interested in. Every other game from the 2001 era, and even those from 2009-2010, I've stopped playing and never looked back. There is something about DS, but I don't like seeing the number of players this low, not when it was so close to being revived after the .483 disaster. For a while it was on the right track to being revived.

I hope nobody reads this long-winded reply and thinks I'm complaining. I'm not.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-09-13 19:34   
We've had plans to increase the fun in DarkSpace for some time, but these things take time. DarkSpace has no paid staff and no programmers working on it full time.

This means that what other games (even indie) can do in a short period of time, we cannot. There are very few indie MMO's on the market (read: none), and none that even come close to this level of communication with their playerbase. That's not even mentioning the fact that we have ZERO advertising.

This game is running not only running on the purchasing of credits, but the invaluable and immense amount of donated time from the few who work on it.

You may think we don't listen to the playerbase, but pretty much every patch since forever displays otherwise. Just because we don't listen to what you personally want, doesn't mean we don't listen. And just because a few people think an idea is wicked cool, doesn't mean it fits into the plans we have, or is generally good for the playerbase.

When DarkSpace has fulltime and plentiful staff like other MMO's, then you can complain. Until that point, you're getting some rather dedicated players donating insane quantities of time to help improve the game.

MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-09-13 22:50   
Quote:
There are very few indie MMO's on the market (read: none), and none that even come close to this level of communication with their playerbase

shores of hazeron is a pretty good indie space mmo

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-09-13 23:23   
Quote:

On 2011-09-13 18:26, MrSparkle wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-09-13 15:45, $yTHe {C?} wrote:

Why don't they? Look at the number of players. Something is wrong. It's 7pm EST, and theres 149 Online (which really means only a few people playing).

I've seen other MMOs with fewer players, don't get me wrong. The game I used to play where I first learned about DS has 0 (zero) players. Billions of people in the world and not a single one playing that game. But remember the surge of players DS had after the latest patch? What happened? There were hundreds Online, and it's dropped to about as low as I can remember. That should be a troubling sign. Games end up in jeopardy of shutting down when that happens.

What I want to know are the reasons. I'm not trying to complain or be disrespectful. I'm genuinely interested in the reasons why so many people left again after they sampled the last patch. I can't ask them personally so I gave my opinions on why they might have, based not on my own personal opinions but conversations ingame, in the lobby, and occasional comments on the forums including in this thread.

This is the only MMO I've ever played that's this old and that I'm still interested in. Every other game from the 2001 era, and even those from 2009-2010, I've stopped playing and never looked back. There is something about DS, but I don't like seeing the number of players this low, not when it was so close to being revived after the .483 disaster. For a while it was on the right track to being revived.

I hope nobody reads this long-winded reply and thinks I'm complaining. I'm not.

Problem is that everyone wants something, but no one with the programming skills wants to throw in with the Dev team.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-09-13 23:25   
Quote:

On 2011-09-13 22:50, darksmaster923 (3IC) wrote:
Quote:
There are very few indie MMO's on the market (read: none), and none that even come close to this level of communication with their playerbase

shores of hazeron is a pretty good indie space mmo

Looks like Minecraft In Space to me...

MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-09-13 23:28   
Quote:

On 2011-09-13 23:25, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

Looks like Minecraft In Space to me...

minecraft graphics but 20 times the gameplay depth

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2011-09-14 09:27 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-09-13 23:32   
Quote:

On 2011-09-13 23:28, darksmaster923 (3IC) wrote:

minecraft graphics but 20 times the gameplay depth

Yep. Looks like it.
Pity abt the graphics though.

How about Entropia Universe?

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2011-09-14 09:27 ]

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-14 05:55   
I'm personally impressed when I see 2001 players here. Even I can't tell what games I played a decade ago, either may I tell whether I stay with a game through this long time. The only 10-years-software that I'm still using is Windows XP.

Not only this game is impressive, its players are also amazing!

PaleStar staff is wonderful, of course. Working, non-paid, for a game for a decade and longer than that, through up-and-down era, you guys are truly faithful developers in these fast-changing-world. I can conclude: Darkspace is warm with you heats. Keep up the good work guys. Wish you all the best.

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-14 11:06   
Quote:

On 2011-09-13 19:34, Pantheon wrote:
That's not even mentioning the fact that we have ZERO advertising.

Sorry, but Im personally insulted here. Ads are only the starting point of true advertising. I made 2 players join the DS community myself (funny though one has a lower ID than me ). The reasons for that is, what should be discussed. In my opinion there is no problem with what you say, that the developers dont listen to all the nonsense players say (buff me, nerf them). Just go ahead with your developers blog and post what you think Darkspace will be like in five years time and how you plan to achieve that. (Oh and, maybe keep the pictures in the dev blog available...)(Hey thats critisism in the brackets!)

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-14 16:44   
Get advertising? surely it cant cost THAT much, and if its worth it in income thru credits...

Radiance
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-09-14 16:51   
Quote:

On 2011-09-14 16:44, iwancoppa wrote:
Get advertising? surely it cant cost THAT much, and if its worth it in income thru credits...

Advertising costs a lot. And most of the income goes to keeping the server and game online. I'm pretty sure they don't have enough to advertise. And if they did, it would be on a barely visited page.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-14 17:35   
Quote:

On 2011-09-13 19:34, Pantheon wrote:
We've had plans to increase the fun in DarkSpace for some time, but these things take time. DarkSpace has no paid staff and no programmers working on it full time.

This means that what other games (even indie) can do in a short period of time, we cannot. There are very few indie MMO's on the market (read: none), and none that even come close to this level of communication with their playerbase. That's not even mentioning the fact that we have ZERO advertising.

This game is running not only running on the purchasing of credits, but the invaluable and immense amount of donated time from the few who work on it.

You may think we don't listen to the playerbase, but pretty much every patch since forever displays otherwise. Just because we don't listen to what you personally want, doesn't mean we don't listen. And just because a few people think an idea is wicked cool, doesn't mean it fits into the plans we have, or is generally good for the playerbase.

When DarkSpace has fulltime and plentiful staff like other MMO's, then you can complain. Until that point, you're getting some rather dedicated players donating insane quantities of time to help improve the game.

Oh I'm not saying you don't listen, and I'm personally impressed with how you guys are handling ship and faction balance (I don't remember it ever being this balanced).

Here's kind of what I'm saying: another MMO I play recently got a new producer, and one of the first things he did was introduce "Round Table Discussions" in the forums, each centering on a certain topic that the players seem concerned about. Players are free (and encouraged) to discuss their concerns about the particular topic, including their ideas on improvements or overhauls.

Like DS, that game also went through a pretty significant overhaul (which I wasn't around for) and it seems that overhaul chased a lot of players away, so many that the new producer is apparently concerned. It's that concern that struck me the most. They seem genuinely interested in growing the playerbase again, even if it means scrapping what they originally overhauled and starting again with something new. I can't get into specifics of course.

I wouldn't mind seeing that mentality here in DS. I'd like to see concern from Faustus or the admins about the ever-shrinking playerbase, because we've seen greatly increased population after a major patch but they don't stick around, and that should be a red flag that something's not right somewhere. It's probably not one glaring problem, but overall it's enough to make people say "meh it's not so fun anymore, I'll spend my gaming time elsewhere".

DS is 10 years old and unadvertised which is two strikes against it. It's now competing in a growing field of other f2p MMOs when it didn't have to in it's beginning. It's an uphill battle all the way.

I'm looking at this from a sort of owner/investor perspective - a business perspective, not a player perspective. Would I be happy with the state of my game if population kept shrinking? No. I would do something like the new producer of my other MMO did and try to get to the heart of the problem via open discussions with the players. Would I be focused on trying to grow my game, or be content with it's low population? I would want it to grow.

I genuinely do not know if Faustus is content or not. I do not know his future plans for the game, or how much longer he plans to keep it around. I do know that if I were in his shoes I wouldn't be happy with the state of the game, but I'm me and he is himself and ultimately what I think does not matter if it conflicts with what he thinks.

I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say. I love that this game is still around after 10 years. I love how somehow I'm still interested in it even though I'm really too old to give a damn. There's just something about this game.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2011-09-14 17:41 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021132 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR