No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +6.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Beta 1.6.7.1
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Beta 1.6.7.1
-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-09-17 14:22   
I tried to order the dictor elite, but couldnt. Maybe a higher rank than FA is required to order elites.

Defiance and luth dreads:

I agree that we luth fly dreads to much. Our cruisers are actually very beast, ESPECIALLY in packs, while using fast paced hit and run tactics. A scale and parasite working together can bring an icc dread to its knees quickly. UGTO dreads are a different story, it seems we have to field dreads to counter them. A scale and parasite combo is also very effective against small ships. A parasite is a small ships worst enemy. It is also a great counter to beacon scouts. It is a little weak, but some modding can fix that.

It seems like I am the only luth who apprieciates curisers

Luth small ships are underrated. no one likes to fly them, because they suck on their own. But, in this game, you arent supposed to fly alone....

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-17 15:33   
Quote:

On 2011-09-16 12:06, Pantheon wrote:
Nowhere does it state that using ECM is the soul purpose of how the defencive faction operates. This is your personal opinion, and I side with the others here when I state that no lone ship should be able to mask itself from a planet or those with more ECCM.

Not to mention the fact that very few things should be done solo when it comes to planets. If you want to be hidden, you go in as a group, like everyone else.

I approve this message 110%.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-17 19:28   
Same. That's another change that's been needed for a long time and is finally here.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-09-17 22:50   
i think that could have been delt with by increasing planetary sensor base power.

It is what it is, and i still dont mind how it turned out. I am sad that i can no longer hide myself in combat, but that was a new consept. One not possible before anyway.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-18 00:03   
Quote:

On 2011-09-17 14:22, xTc *XO2* wrote:
I tried to order the dictor elite, but couldnt. Maybe a higher rank than FA is required to order elites.

Defiance and luth dreads:

I agree that we luth fly dreads to much. Our cruisers are actually very beast, ESPECIALLY in packs, while using fast paced hit and run tactics. A scale and parasite working together can bring an icc dread to its knees quickly. UGTO dreads are a different story, it seems we have to field dreads to counter them. A scale and parasite combo is also very effective against small ships. A parasite is a small ships worst enemy. It is also a great counter to beacon scouts. It is a little weak, but some modding can fix that.

It seems like I am the only luth who apprieciates curisers

Luth small ships are underrated. no one likes to fly them, because they suck on their own. But, in this game, you arent supposed to fly alone....

Not true. When i am on my luth alt i can do some nasty damage to uggie dreads in a claw if i fly right, Plus ugto is actully easier to kill then ICC with luth crusiers and smaller if you attack correctly. But no one wants to have fun or anything on luth, because most of the time they just want kills (wonder whos gonna argue that)

Could have upped ECCM strength and range slightly and left ECM alone that way ships that have it would be able to use it, but would be forced to run if something with ECCM wonders over

Email *FTL*Soulless
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-18 00:43   
I think that the changes are good in their own way, but fall short on another level.

Balance and numberswise, the changes sound solid so far. OK, ICC damage was sorta good against K'Luth the way it was before, so our AD got its torp power back and Borders got some of their railgun power back.

ECM ships were seriously annoying and could win fights solo by simply being impossible to hit. You should have a reasonable chance to hit someone and not require 2 on 1 just to be able to see the enemy. Or at least, in human combat. K'Luth obviously do require 2 on 1 to see them or have a chance of seeing them, but that's a different story altogether.

This shoves them back, albeit a bit hardhandedly, in the "you require a team to do this".

As far as the idealogy of making ICC and UGTO team-based factions go, the developers have taken steps closer to that.

As for K'Luth cloaks, it doesn't seem too gamebreaking to me. K'Luth has always been the faction which has no reason to ever downgrade from Dreadnoughts. Their entire design philosophy embraces this. The new change solidly enforces the idea that they are meant to uncloak, burst your face and then get out - they're the perfect faction to play still for those who want to score points with the least danger of losing them.

There is, of course, a counter to cloak. The Interdictor and Scout. Neither is a very solid defence against K'Luth as they are both completely useless in terms of actually contributing damage to destroying ships, but they inhibit K'Luth movements.

Since now and previous versions, nothing has changed about K'Luth in a meaningful way, except that the Krill is no longer the mid-range gunboat K'Luth have always championed as "it's pretty bad". Now it is agreed to be "not amazing". K'Luth have been, and will likely remain to be, the faction that is easiest to play so long as you remember that cloaking is not always the best answer, and that you will die if your enemies react fast enough and focus fire unless you have the luxury of jumping out.

Before K'Luth have a cow and yell about how much skill they have: no, that's what we call "proper coordination". K'Luth are the faction that can employ stratagems because they have the luxury to choose the time of engagement, which no other faction is given; this inherently permits you to use more crafty strategies than ICC or UGTO can afford. That's no skill, that's simply choosing a faction that enables something you happen to like partaking in.

Now then. The flipside to these changes is that they limit what a single player can do and further promote teamwork. I have not seen the metaverse room exceed 30 players whenever I log in, which I admit has become less and less these days.

The chief problem with these changes is that they promote teamwork. Stay with me here.

When you make it so lone players can accomplish less and less, it promotes lone players to undertake less until there are more people. There are three options for lone people:
A) Idle until people log in.
B) Substitute others for AI. (but then, why play an online game?)
C) Log off, check back later.

You'll agree A) is not very exciting, and with the constant threat of K'Luth looming to destroy you (or just an errant AI), it's usually not an option if you want to busy yourself with doing something fun.
For B, I note that 'Why play an online game?'. Playing with AI isn't the same kind of gratifying as playing together, and myself, I play online games to play with others and have various ways to deal with problems. The moment that is reduced to "order AIs around", I become a bit disinterested.
And C) presents a problem in itself in that if every player did that, the only way to gain a group effort is that everyone logs in around the same time so they see eachother before opting for C).

So that underlines the chief problem DarkSpace is facing. It's a teamgame that punishes solo play while its playerbase is disappearing. It struggles with a design idealogy that works for a succesful MMO with a sizable playerbase; and in that aspect it's competently balanced.

But for a small game? The design caters to a playerbase that doesn't exist: and this is why you feel it is unbalanced or bad. There'd be nothing wrong if you consistently had six people to fly ECM coverage for you. There'd be nothing wrong if you could count on pings and scouts to light up K'Luth for you.

You simply don't have those people.

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-18 02:41   
Quote:

On 2011-09-18 00:43, Gesellschaft wrote:
I think that the changes are good in their own way, but fall short on another level.

Balance and numberswise, the changes sound solid so far. OK, ICC damage was sorta good against K'Luth the way it was before, so our AD got its torp power back and Borders got some of their railgun power back.

ECM ships were seriously annoying and could win fights solo by simply being impossible to hit. You should have a reasonable chance to hit someone and not require 2 on 1 just to be able to see the enemy. Or at least, in human combat. K'Luth obviously do require 2 on 1 to see them or have a chance of seeing them, but that's a different story altogether.

This shoves them back, albeit a bit hardhandedly, in the "you require a team to do this".

As far as the idealogy of making ICC and UGTO team-based factions go, the developers have taken steps closer to that.

As for K'Luth cloaks, it doesn't seem too gamebreaking to me. K'Luth has always been the faction which has no reason to ever downgrade from Dreadnoughts. Their entire design philosophy embraces this. The new change solidly enforces the idea that they are meant to uncloak, burst your face and then get out - they're the perfect faction to play still for those who want to score points with the least danger of losing them.

There is, of course, a counter to cloak. The Interdictor and Scout. Neither is a very solid defence against K'Luth as they are both completely useless in terms of actually contributing damage to destroying ships, but they inhibit K'Luth movements.

Since now and previous versions, nothing has changed about K'Luth in a meaningful way, except that the Krill is no longer the mid-range gunboat K'Luth have always championed as "it's pretty bad". Now it is agreed to be "not amazing". K'Luth have been, and will likely remain to be, the faction that is easiest to play so long as you remember that cloaking is not always the best answer, and that you will die if your enemies react fast enough and focus fire unless you have the luxury of jumping out.

Before K'Luth have a cow and yell about how much skill they have: no, that's what we call "proper coordination". K'Luth are the faction that can employ stratagems because they have the luxury to choose the time of engagement, which no other faction is given; this inherently permits you to use more crafty strategies than ICC or UGTO can afford. That's no skill, that's simply choosing a faction that enables something you happen to like partaking in.

Now then. The flipside to these changes is that they limit what a single player can do and further promote teamwork. I have not seen the metaverse room exceed 30 players whenever I log in, which I admit has become less and less these days.

The chief problem with these changes is that they promote teamwork. Stay with me here.

When you make it so lone players can accomplish less and less, it promotes lone players to undertake less until there are more people. There are three options for lone people:

You'll agree A) is not very exciting, and with the constant threat of K'Luth looming to destroy you (or just an errant AI), it's usually not an option if you want to busy yourself with doing something fun.
For B, I note that 'Why play an online game?'. Playing with AI isn't the same kind of gratifying as playing together, and myself, I play online games to play with others and have various ways to deal with problems. The moment that is reduced to "order AIs around", I become a bit disinterested.
And C) presents a problem in itself in that if every player did that, the only way to gain a group effort is that everyone logs in around the same time so they see eachother before opting for C).

So that underlines the chief problem DarkSpace is facing. It's a teamgame that punishes solo play while its playerbase is disappearing. It struggles with a design idealogy that works for a succesful MMO with a sizable playerbase; and in that aspect it's competently balanced.

But for a small game? The design caters to a playerbase that doesn't exist: and this is why you feel it is unbalanced or bad. There'd be nothing wrong if you consistently had six people to fly ECM coverage for you. There'd be nothing wrong if you could count on pings and scouts to light up K'Luth for you.

This message is so true, ti deserves being quoted. adn saved on my desktop. +100 to gessel

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-18 02:55   
Quote:

You stated it brilliantly, Bardiche.

Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-18 05:24   
Quote:

I also have to agree with there. There are many times, where a staff member's response will be "Well, you're not meant to do it alone." or "Well, you should be flying in large groups to blah blah"... but the issue is that a good amount of the time... there are only one or two people on. More times then not, the only option IS to play solo, or in a SMALL group. Being told "Play in larger groups" is quite the kick in the teeth when there isn't anyone online to form a large group with.

Also... jus throwing this out there; why does Kluth have an AI dictor while ICC and UGTO do not? If anything, it should be the other way around.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-09-18 06:05   
You don't design an MMO for solo players. Exactly like you don't design single player games to require multiple players.

There will be some uncloak time changes coming to the larger ships in the way of 0.5 seconds > 1.0 seconds uncloak time, but that's all at the moment.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-09-18 06:09   
a step in the right direction.

Thanks panth. Glad you were able to make sence out of my ramble.

I really should stop posting at 4am....

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-09-18 08:40   
random suggestion - kluth cloak device disengages after 1-2 minutes of activation.

proposed formulol - [150 - (hull_level*12)] seconds.

this way, kluth have a time limit on their luxury to set the pace of the battle, and they cannot stay cloaked until enemies are bored to death.

they can re-engage the cloak after the auto disengage and cooldown, but will need ECM cover (hint hint ::--:: TEAMWORK) to avoid being noticed during those 7/15 seconds of cooldown.

kluth stations will have a lot of problem though, but thats some what ok (risk of being in a station, despite obvious drawbacks).

this suggestion makes dreads hard to use, cruisers problematic and destroyers and below loved (albeit less than now).

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-09-18 16:10   
though i do rellish the idea of kluth having to use their V button situationaly like the rest of us... that would be alot or rebalancing...

I think this would be a step in the wrong direction..

I may write alot of negitive stuff about current version, however i do say ballance is nearly perfect. Maby i should start a thread on what i think is done right post 670?

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-09-22 22:03   
-Planetary depots now repair hull 50% faster (this does not affect gadget repair speed).

I did not think hull rep rates were tooo awful. Stations maby.. but they actualy repair 2x as fast as a dread only using a depot and damage controle.

Cruisers and under came back to full health reasonably fast. (faster than when i started this game).

Some things you should look at; (since in not going to get around to it) are UGTO, ICC, Kluth supply class stations ability to tank at the new depot planet, with plats and without.

I have a hunch this change will have made stations more desirable as a planetary defense base.

And im not entirely saying this is a bad thing.. just rather asking what direction are you going in?

BTW cudos on the changed cloak times. may be a bit much. Time in a kluth destroyer has shown me that i rarely get to decloak in .5 seconds due to the fact im never at base signature. Guess im saying its not as bad as i thought.
I cannot speak on kluth dreads, as ive been unable to fly them, or come across any in mv during my limited time as icc these past two weeks.

Planetary damage is no longer devided among the ships in orbit. So each ship takes the full force yes?
This combined with the range boost should put planets nearly on the level of 1.5 if not over. Great work! I cant wait to get in and test this stuff... though its going to be some time.

thanks staff.
[ This Message was edited by: Defiance{CM7} on 2011-09-22 22:07 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-09-23 03:22   
- A certain elite has lost it's interdictor device. All may be fair in war, but nerf bat beats all.

EsCapor's armament doesnt seem different except for loss of interdictor device. will it get something in return?
also i looked through its cannon armament and saw that it has 2 3-arc psi cannons towards right, but none on the left. that imbalances its broadside firepower (right > left)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020105 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR