No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Idea for Fighters
 Author Idea for Fighters
Fatal Afro Man *NCO*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2011-10-01 19:38   
So i was playing about a month ago and somebody (too long ago for me to remember who) was talking about what i thought was a really interesting idea. So far i have not seen any post made in the forums discussing it so i figured i would to get some feedback from the staff/community.

The basic idea is to switch fighters from little projectiles to a player pet like spawn able AI. The pet would be a cloud of x amount of fighters where the number of fighters in the cloud would be the amount of hit points the cloud itself has, each time a beam weapon hits the cloud the hit point(fighter count) would go down by however many beams hit it. This way it would be a lot easier for players to control fighters and would allow for the ability to set fighters to a cap. ALSO it would make fighters actually useful against the luth. Anyways idk how hard it would be to implement such an idea but i thought it sounded like something that could work quite well if properly balanced and would make using carrier ships a lot more fun to fly! What is everybody else's thoughts on this?

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-01 21:12   
That's actually kind of the plan for the future of fighters, though of course the time to implement is TBD.

Email Shigernafy
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-01 23:35   
I think this is a good idea.

Rather than having a dozen units that are individually tracked by the server, it could be clumped together and treated as a single unit, where each shot from a PD would knock off one HP.

As far as the server concerned, it would be a single entity, but graphics wise the client could draw a cloud of fighters to represent it.

You may need some sort of random seed if the fighters in the cloud are to make random movements, and you want the areas that projectiles are emitted from to match with the visual.

Nekatil
1st Rear Admiral
Team Germany

Posted: 2011-10-02 02:06   
if you reduce the visual to the very basics:

the "random movement" could be a series of sprites where a single fighter fly form center of the cloud a circle to the outside and back to the center copied in multiple angles

and every xx frames (when the fighter return to the center) the cloud can fire (from the center)

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-10-02 19:20   
Why overcomplicate it by adding in flashy maneuvers that don't actually do anything? Just have them fly in formation and they can fire normally.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-02 22:58   
Having them in different visual formations would be a good indicator for having them using different tactics-
Normal: Each PD shot kills one fighter, weapons fire normally.
Evasive: PD shots have a 50% chance of missing, weapon fire rate halved.
Aggressive: Every PD shot will hit, projectile weapons can also hit them, weapon output is nearly doubled.

Nekatil
1st Rear Admiral
Team Germany

Posted: 2011-10-03 19:31   
Quote:

On 2011-10-02 19:20, Talien wrote:
Why overcomplicate it by adding in flashy maneuvers that don't actually do anything? Just have them fly in formation and they can fire normally.

where's the fun in having a block of stationary fighters flying around, when you can have a small swarm of tiny fleas running all over

im thinking of buzz-droids from starwars or scarabs from dawn of war

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-10-03 20:24   
i somehow disagree or dont get the real picture. presentation of fighters as "swarm of flies"?? thats just cheap... for exampe take the homeworld 2 aspect of fighters. you cant build individual fighters but only squadrons of 5 or 6 and like that.
i think it would be more coller to see 4 or 6 "flies" flying in formation and attacking, than cloud or "flies" buzzing around like they are on cocaine or something. graphical representation of a squadron, but technicaly acting as single unit.

you get the point...?

[ This Message was edited by: Ravendark on 2011-10-03 20:26 ]

Nekatil
1st Rear Admiral
Team Germany

Posted: 2011-10-04 07:22   
in DS-scouts are homeworld-fighters

i'd like to have the small ships spawned from carriers like drones

Page created in 0.017999 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR