- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +21.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Mines (Weapon)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Mines (Weapon)
Princess Celestia
Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-14 19:01   
Quote:

On 2012-01-14 02:42, Red Shirt wrote:
Proximity-Fused mines (with wide area of effect, naturally)

Nanocloud/Acid mines (damage-over-time effect)

Mini-Laser mines (rather than exploding, each contains a small chemical laser that can fire three times before burning out)

Missile-Mines (one-shot missile, faction type, that fires when target gets within moderate range)

Wild-Weasel mines (automatically attrack all missles that come within range, causing them to hit the mines instead of their real target)

Limpet Leech Mines (stick to hull and drain power until removed by getting in range of a friendly Shipyard)

Limpet Nanobot Inhibitor (sticks to hull and prevents armor repair on ships until removed - good versus UGTO)

Limpet Shield Drainer (sticks to hull and prevents shield regen until removed, good versus ICC)

Limpet Beacon mines (like scout beacons, they stick to the hull and raise signature until removed, good versus K'luth)

Tachyon Mines (bleeds out fuel from Tachyon drives and/or preventing jumping for a certain amount of time)

The possibilities are vast...

we want logical possiblitys not something just made named and with a pointless never gone be considerd way. com on all of these are junk and will not even be CONSIDERD. so why make some extreamly !@$^%&* pointless post.?

[ This Message was edited by: Brony Jack on 2012-01-14 19:02 ]

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-14 19:16   
Proximity-Fused mines (with wide area of effect, naturally)
Basically a larger splash version of the standard mine

Nanocloud/Acid mines (damage-over-time effect)
Could be tough to code, and would cause rage in ships that struggle to self-repair (esp. ships with ablative armour)

Mini-Laser mines (rather than exploding, each contains a small chemical laser that can fire three times before burning out)
Would need a worthwhile range, or a heavy laser

Missile-Mines (one-shot missile, faction type, that fires when target gets within moderate range)
holy server lag batman!

Wild-Weasel mines (automatically attrack all missles that come within range, causing them to hit the mines instead of their real target)
Soo a device that scrambles the tracking device

Limpet Leech Mines (stick to hull and drain power until removed by getting in range of a friendly Shipyard)
I can see the raging assault ships already

Limpet Nanobot Inhibitor (sticks to hull and prevents armor repair on ships until removed - good versus UGTO)
I think the only faction with working nanotech is the Luth (and possibly damage control)

Limpet Shield Drainer (sticks to hull and prevents shield regen until removed, good versus ICC)
2 weapons already do the extra shield damage

Limpet Beacon mines (like scout beacons, they stick to the hull and raise signature until removed, good versus K'luth)
Shame that beacons only affect the cloak time by a little bit

Tachyon Mines (bleeds out fuel from Tachyon drives and/or preventing jumping for a certain amount of time)
Interdictor mine? Could have that issue where you could jump deep into it before your computer realises its there

The possibilities are vast... unless there's coding issues, server lag or rage

[ This Message was edited by: Perseverance *TO* on 2012-01-14 19:19 ]

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-14 20:36   
Surprised no one has added:

Mines - Does actual damage.

-Ent

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2012-01-14 20:57   
Quote:

On 2011-10-05 17:16, MrSparkle wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-10-05 15:30, IllusMaze wrote:
What if they decrease mines' damage but increase it's AOE, deployable numbers, and the amount of time they last? That way, it can't be used to mine a ship to death by flying right beside or on top of it. Please point out any flaws in my logic.

One of the reasons in increasing AOE is helping prevent dropping mines too close to an enemy. However, using minelayers in that way is a novel way of playing and I don't think much can be done to stop it. I would prefer encouraging their more traditional use of pre-deployment as minefields.

Maybe an activation timer might be possible as well? I somehow doubt it's possible, but giving mines something like a 10 second activation timer would stop a lot of that unconventional use. If a ship hits them before 10 seconds they just disappear as duds. That might be a little too complicated for this game though. It's a lot to keep track of.

i love your picture sparkles

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-15 06:45   
Quote:

On 2012-01-14 20:36, Enterprise wrote:

-Ent

this would be a good start

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-15 07:23   
Quote:

On 2012-01-15 06:45, RogueAvenger wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-01-14 20:36, Enterprise wrote:

-Ent

this would be a good start

Eh I was jesting.

They aren't bad damage wise, the hard part is using them. Space is a giant open area and they are so ridiculously easy to dodge.

We tried homing mines, but they didn't work properly.

In my opinion that unless they were homing, they really aren't worth it. To use it you have to put yourself right in the perfect spot to get killed in - in front of a ship - and even then your best chance of hitting anything was against a dread.

By the time you did anything, you were probably fried.

This is really what is needed. Either a homing mechanism, or a very large AoE. But I disagree with the latter, as it would be used to too much effect against smaller ships.

-Ent

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-15 07:28   
i was was thinking allow you to drop more at a time at least then you could place them around the exit point of a gate but for how many u can place and the damage they do its not worth it also mabye have them when u hit them they cut your jd if ur jumping at the time u hit them that would mean you could place a long line say between a gate and a planet around halfway into the jumo you would be cut off making it usefull for an ambush on an attacking fleet

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-15 15:07   
I always thought the following method would be useful:

Imagine a plaform that acts as the mine field 'dispenser'. In a x GU radius around the device, theirs a minefield that acts much like a dictor field. Any ships going into the minefield suffer damage per second and any other effects that would be cool.

The minefield has no signature, and would only be revealed with scanners (or by being extremely close to it). The actual device itself is still damagable in the middle, but it would have to be moderately tough.

I think this solves a good number of problems with mines and their usefulness

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-15 17:02   
Quote:

On 2012-01-15 15:07, Fattierob wrote:
I always thought the following method would be useful:

Imagine a plaform that acts as the mine field 'dispenser'. In a x GU radius around the device, theirs a minefield that acts much like a dictor field. Any ships going into the minefield suffer damage per second and any other effects that would be cool.

The minefield has no signature, and would only be revealed with scanners (or by being extremely close to it). The actual device itself is still damagable in the middle, but it would have to be moderately tough.

I think this solves a good number of problems with mines and their usefulness

So you build this mine factory and if it needs resources it vanishes once its run out and the plat can be targeted and destroyed. (you could attack it with little or no damage by using squads) That could work.

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-15 17:33   
Something Like that, yes.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-16 10:08   
i dont like it...a dmg field like the rep field? makes a platform planetlike. imagine 10 plats near eachother etc.

all mines need is 100gu AoE with <50gu=100% dmg, 75gu=75% and 100gu is 25% damage. they been used in the past against dreadnoughts and whatever. only reason they seemed OP is the tight formations of a certain dread pack. atm seems more like <25gu=100%, 50gu=50%, >75gu=lame. 25 gu can make a heap of difference...

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-01-16 13:17   
Why not have it as a static object with an AOE gadget that damages allies as well as enemies? Prevents it from being OP by stacking a ton in one spot because they'll just blow eachother up even with no enemies in range. Even better if they can't be set while something besides the Minelayer itself is already within range. Better still if they're spawned by ctrl+clicking empty space like with platform construction.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2012-01-16 14:55   
ok...my 2 cents

mines as they are just plain suck.cant lay enough to do damage to an attacking fleet or even a single ship.dont bother with new innovative types.just make plain ordinary mines.but increase the damage and amount dropped.they used to last 15 mins then go neutral.That would be fine as they would get you if you forgot about them.give em a duration of 30 mins before they SD.
altho a good idea in general,homing mines would cause lag as they would become an object the system would have to keep track of.Just up the damage and amount.otherwise they are just plain useless.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
-(kha-ti the silent watcher)-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-16 17:00   
the mine platform sounds good as long as it hurts allies as well to make people more careful where they place them and also i don't think it should be stackable or it'd be super dangerous. if the devs are gonna do it then good luck.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-16 19:58   
i still prefer this one
Quote:

On 2011-10-05 16:14, NoBoDx wrote:
why not place objects with a fixed hp (eg 50) that damage enemys near them like planets

each time they deal damage, their hp decrease by 1
if you pd the object, each laser decrease the number by 1

and advanced idea:
bigger ships take multiple hits ( and reduce the hp more)
- scouts dont get hit, cause theyre quick and agile enough to evade the mines
- frigs take 1 hit
- dessies take 2-3
- cruiser 3-5
- dreads 10
- station all remaining

the best (but slow) way to clean a mine-field, some scouts could disarm them without harm
or a station hops in, and take all mines itself... but should get some serious damage (im talking about from 100%armor / 100% hull to 0% / 30)

maybe multiple hits do additional damage (numbers are placehoders)
1 mine does 50 points
2 mines does 50 + 50 + 20 -> 120
3 mines 3x50 + 30 -> 180 and so on

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030416 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR