No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Quick comms
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Quick comms
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-14 23:18   
The game Allegiance has an extensive array of quick-comm messages that can be sent to whatever channel you are on with no more than 3 key strokes.

Some quick-comms also double as an order giving command.
orders given can be accepted by pressing insert.

Pressing insert will make you target whatever the command related to.
If it was a repair or supply request, you would target whoever sent it.
If it was a attack command, it'll target whoever they are targeting.
If it's a defend command, it'll target whatever threat is closest to the target to be defended.
If it's a generic voice chat with no command tied to it, no command will be added to the stack, but it can still provide vital information to the team.

These quick-comms (god, I love hyphens) could be accessed by the TILDE '~'
Some example quick-comms
~1 "Yes"
~2 "No"
~A "Attack my target"
~D "Defend my target"
~S "Need supply"

If you want the quick comms to be a bit more extensive, you could make it 3 key strokes. first the ~, then the category (Commands, Tactical, Info, Taunts, Needs, etc), and then finally the letter or number for a specific quick-comm in that category.
~C1 "Attack my target" (gives a command to the team)
~C2 "Defend my target" (gives a command to the team)
~CS "Need supply" (gives a command to the team)
~NA "Need ammo" (no command)
~NF "Need fuel" (no command)
~NR "Need repairs" (no command)
~TK "Kiss my asteroid!"
'

Maybe you guys can actually use the quick comm audio from Allegiance itself since the source has been released. Then again, since this game does have the credit system, there may be some (legal) implications I'm not aware of.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-10-14 23:20 ]

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-15 03:18   
i believe this was brought up before but it got shot down...can't remember why though

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-15 03:28   
good good, another suggestion....

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-15 03:31   
Quote:

On 2011-10-14 23:18, Fluttershy wrote:
The game Allegiance has an extensive array of quick-comm messages that can be sent to whatever channel you are on with no more than 3 key strokes.

This game is Darkspace not Allegiance...

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-15 08:07   
I can't think of any reason in which a quick-comm system would have a negative impact on a game intended to promote team work and coordination.

That 'Darkspace' is not 'Allegiance' is besides the point, I was only drawing attention to it so that one might download and test the quick-comm system that THEY have, and gather some inspiration from it.

I'm really sorry if I'm coming across as a know-it-all that thinks their suggestions absolutely must be added 'or else', but I'm quick to defend an idea if it seems to be unfairly shot down over a point that could be easily circumvented with some open-mindedness.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-10-15 08:12 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-10-15 08:35   
+1 to this. the shortcuts will need some work though, and also need to be worth the time invested in remembering and finding the correct keys in combat situations.

also we have ctrl+h and shift+h for under attack and need supply. so these will have to be re-thought too.

edit:-i got a new enhancement idea, Improved Audio Communications - For 300 credits, player gets to use quick voice comms (text+sound) for 1 week.
[ This Message was edited by: Compromisery on 2011-10-15 08:40 ]

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-15 10:02   
The game renegade uses something similar:

ctrl+number
alt+number
ctrl+alt+number

They all mean a different set of commands. If you hold either combination without pressing a number, a see-through screen pops up with the commands available for that combination. That way, you can learn the button combinations easily by applying them during combat, and you can learn them quicker and be able to remember them in a pinch.

ctrl+7 was always 'affirmative'
Alt+3 was 'move out'
Ctrl+alt+1 was 'attack the base defences'
ctrl+8 was 'negative'

And so on.

edit: ctrl had all the infantry based commands, alt had all the vehicle based commands, ctrl and alt had building based commands

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.
[ This Message was edited by: Demigan on 2011-10-15 14:40 ]

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-15 15:12   
edit: im such a troll, srry
[ This Message was edited by: The Flying Dutchman on 2011-10-15 15:12 ]

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-10-15 22:09   

Get a keyboard with lotsa macro keys (AKA Logitech ones with the 18 macro keys) and bind them?

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-15 22:44   
You know, there could always be a quickcomm.config file made that lets you organize how you want the different voice chats to be set up, and what keys activate them.

The inputs you desire could be made to include those of joysticks and game pads
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-10-15 22:45 ]

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-16 20:54   
I do agree that some quick comm is needed in DS... There is already some support for this, such as typing into chat Attack: %t which will show up as "Attack: JBud" (if you are targeting me, or it will show as whoever your current target is)

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-10-16 21:01   
It may sound like a good idea at first, but if you think about it the only reason chat isn't spammed with "orders" and requests during battle is people are too busy trying to target, fire, dodge, and escape to bother. If there's dozens of commands made available by a couple simple keypresses then chat could easily be spammed with them during even medium sized battles. Just look at the distress/supply distress changes that were done to limit how often they could be spammed.

And if they were voiced as well.....yeah. For an extreme example go play Bootfighter Windom with around 10 AI.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-16 22:51   
The entire point of having easily accessed voice comms is because of the very reasons you stated above. Players are too busy shooting and being shot at to read the chat.

Spam would be a minor problem, and if someone does spam it uselessly they would be asking for some time off from the server.

Another thing I mentioned was a Command Stack. All recent commands would show up in a list, the most recent one being selected by default.
You could, however, select another command and press [Insert] to accept that one over another, otherwise just press insert to accept the most recent command given.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-10-16 22:52 ]

Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-10-16 23:21   
My introduction to online gaming was Quake1 Deathmatch, followed by Quake 1 CTF (which we used to pull my whole office into and go into online games). Then Quake 1 Team Fortress.

A thing that was lost from these games was the ability to edit your keyboard commands. Pull up a subscript and edit your keys to do or say whatever you want from rehearsed defensive warnings to weapon firing macros.

You could edit a key to say "incoming via stair well" or to command ur character to fire a rocket and jump 1/10th of a second after to launch ur ass over a wall.

This was a brilliant feature, I think a thought worth entertaining!

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-17 13:25   
Quote:

On 2011-10-15 22:44, Fluttershy wrote:
You know, there could always be a quickcomm.config file made that lets you organize how you want the different voice chats to be set up, and what keys activate them.

The inputs you desire could be made to include those of joysticks and game pads
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-10-15 22:45 ]

Seconded

As for spamming, you could counter it with an option that you can only use 3 commands in a time-span of 7-10 seconds, on the client side. That would take out continuous spamming, and take off the extra load that easier commands would give on the server.
Also, if it's client side, being able to create your own commands (which are recognised as a command), would allow for people who are working together to achieve a far greater level of teamwork. Signalling for when to jump, safety of your current location, hull status, whatever you think fits your command list.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023470 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR